Sign in to follow this  
Spike

1895 cup

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

But that isnt how a business is run. All income streams should not be linked only to matches.

But surely clubs will be able to quite easily work out the value of the 1895 cup as it's own profit and cost centre. Whilst some things like sponsorship and others like fixed costs cant directly be attributed to it its not hard to work out at least a pretty accurate estimate of their contribution. 

The 1895 cup was and is a poor idea, a cheap money grab that is some cases ended up costing money. It's another example of the game being brave an innovative and basically inventing a concept which has already failed. 

The branding is sound, but that is pretty much the only aspect that should stay. 

22 hours ago, dkw said:

So you want the club punished for breaking absolutely no rules whatsoever. Thats a great idea and not at all draconian.

There should be rules though. It's a pretty ridiculous that having somewhere to play and playing at the time and date advertised with the expected number of players playing is beyond clubs.

I mean we arent talking about some Chapocoense style catastrophic incident, just injuries. 

It really does need addressing both in creating rules around it and figuring out why the structure or the game allows it to happen

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But surely clubs will be able to quite easily work out the value of the 1895 cup as it's own profit and cost centre. Whilst some things like sponsorship and others like fixed costs cant directly be attributed to it its not hard to work out at least a pretty accurate estimate of their contribution. 

The 1895 cup was and is a poor idea, a cheap money grab that is some cases ended up costing money. It's another example of the game being brave an innovative and basically inventing a concept which has already failed. 

The branding is sound, but that is pretty much the only aspect that should stay. 

I'd rather these clubs see it as their property, work together to make it a success (scheduling, sponsorship, sales etc) rather than just opting out, which shouldn't be an option. 

I don't agree it is a poor idea, the execution so far has been poor, but that can be worked on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

And that’s called squad rotation. Without squad rotation, how are the younger players ever going to show their worth? 

Agreed. Yet squad rotation still means the best players aren't always on show ... but the entry fess never rotate to take account of it.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

There should be rules though. It's a pretty ridiculous that having somewhere to play and playing at the time and date advertised with the expected number of players playing is beyond clubs.

I mean we arent talking about some Chapocoense style catastrophic incident, just injuries. 

It really does need addressing both in creating rules around it and figuring out why the structure or the game allows it to happen

And if there were rules I`m sure Town would still be in the cup. As it stands though there is an option for clubs to forego playing in this cup, an option they have taken that is completely within the rules. I`m not sure why so many people are getting upset at this.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dkw said:

And if there were rules I`m sure Town would still be in the cup. As it stands though there is an option for clubs to forego playing in this cup, an option they have taken that is completely within the rules. I`m not sure why so many people are getting upset at this.

It's quite clear why people think it is wrong. If another half a dozen clubs take the same approach, what then?

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's quite clear why people think it is wrong. If another half a dozen clubs take the same approach, what then?

Then the structure of the competitions is obviously problematic and needs looked at. Town have looked at empirical evidence and decided it will be detrimental to the club to enter the competition, it's a well investigated business decision, which is seen as the correct thing to do within the rules, or would you rather we just enter it knowing it could badly damage the club financially, possibly to a breaking point? 

• Like 2

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

Because they are not providing the best quality entertainment possible. I doubt people be happy to go to a concert and find out the main band is being replaced by a tribute act instead.

That’s an awful comparison and teams simply won’t/can’t change their pricing. 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Then the structure of the competitions is obviously problematic and needs looked at. Town have looked at empirical evidence and decided it will be detrimental to the club to enter the competition, it's a well investigated business decision, which is seen as the correct thing to do within the rules, or would you rather we just enter it knowing it could badly damage the club financially, possibly to a breaking point? 

This isn't anything personal to Workington. This isn't a way for the sport to go about its business. 

We should address the issues rather than allowing clubs to just pull out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

But that isnt how a business is run. All income streams should not be linked only to matches.

Where did I say it did Dave ?

31 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Well, no, they simply can’t. Imagine the carnage it would cause with season ticket pricing. 

Yes, carnage for the clubs but why should the fans have to suffer for it ? . OK, if players are injured but where else would anyone pay full price for sub-standard goods ?

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes, carnage for the clubs but why should the fans have to suffer for it ? . OK, if players are injured but where else would anyone pay full price for sub-standard goods ?

People pay thousands a year to use public transport. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Twickenham

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

This isn't anything personal to Workington. This isn't a way for the sport to go about its business. 

We should address the issues rather than allowing clubs to just pull out.

I fully agree with that, I just dont understand people getting at workington for choosing an option that they believe is the correct one for the club, an option offered to them thats fully within the rules. It's very odd. 

26 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

I went past an AB Sundecks lorry on the way to work this morning and it was advertising the 1895 cup.

And so it should...I'm no fan of that man but he is hard to predict and his coming in at the stroke of midnight with that sponsorship did alot.  He did sponsor it so he should be entitled to use the logo.

46 minutes ago, themainbrace said:

I went past an AB Sundecks lorry on the way to work this morning and it was advertising the 1895 cup.

If the competition was sponsored last season,why was there no prize money.Also what was the sponsorship worth.

Or was it a bit of free advertising for Mr Beaumont.

8 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

If the competition was sponsored last season,why was there no prize money.Also what was the sponsorship worth.

There was prize money. Not sure if it was just for the winners though rather than dependent on progress through the rounds.

8 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Unfair to criticise anybody willing to provide sponsorship to RL IMO 

On 02/10/2019 at 18:54, Oliver Clothesoff said:

We’re talking part-time athletes and a Sunday-Wednesday-Sunday schedule, which is likely with the 1895 Cup, is ridiculous for part-time players. 

If we’re getting rid of the Easter Monday game in Super League because of “player welfare”, you can’t expect part-time clubs to play three games in seven days. 

It’s one of the reasons why the 1895 Cup is so poorly executed. 

1million% agree. I have never been a fan of John Kear but when he put out his under 19s and under for the 1895 cup game on a Wednesday night and followed it up in his post match conference saying that he can't expect his team to play 3 games in a week I totally agreed with him. I hope more teams that have the capacity play weakened squads

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Unfair to criticise anybody willing to provide sponsorship to RL IMO 

Where is the criticism?I asked what the sponsorhip was worth.Surely all sponsorship is a form of advertising.