Dane Chisholm

Serious question.and not a dig at Rovers. What is the point of having a reserve team if you are filling your first team with D/R or loan players, and then when they are not available taking more loan players in? How is any team going to develop and grow youngsters, and a team ethic, if they are always pushed to the back of the queue and never get a chance?

37 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Serious question.and not a dig at Rovers. What is the point of having a reserve team if you are filling your first team with D/R or loan players, and then when they are not available taking more loan players in? How is any team going to develop and grow youngsters, and a team ethic, if they are always pushed to the back of the queue and never get a chance?

It's a fair question, but most of the lads in our reserve team are either very young or very inexperienced or both - hardly any of them came from the very top of the amateur game (and some from quite lowly divisions). You need to be careful about putting up too many youngsters too quickly as the gulf from amateur or reserve grade to a good-quality Championship team is huge.

That said, there have already been plenty of opportunities already for players who might have been expected to spend most of the year in the reserves, notably Jack Render and Jorge Richardson, whilst local lad Jimmy Beckett has featured in both our Cup games (albeit for short stints), and Keidan Hartley would have played in the Cup games if he hadn't suffered a last-minute injury.

Our team on Sunday featured three other players who originally came from our old reserves team (Cooper, Bussey and Ormondroyd), but all three spent a fair while as fringe players, getting the odd game here and there, before establishing themselves. Most of the type of players who end up in the reserve teams of Championship teams aren't super-talented future internationals or superstars, they are guys who are going to really have to work hard and steadily improve to get a place in the first team, Luke Cooper is a very good example of that as it's only fairly recently that he's become an established, first-choice member of the 17 despite being around for a few years.

I sometimes think that Loan deals , Dual Reg , trials and one year deals etc etc is a system that the Club prefers being that if they are not any good we can get rid quickly.For me unless they are Class and can agree a two year deal which is reasonable to all parties they aren’t gonna sign anyone, Remember Gaz Hocks deal and the player who took us to a tribunal and won. Our fingers have been burnt a few times and I’m afraid this is the way forward until the money hopefully comes in from the land then we can assemble a strong squad on permanent contracts.

21 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

I sometimes think that Loan deals , Dual Reg , trials and one year deals etc etc is a system that the Club prefers being that if they are not any good we can get rid quickly.For me unless they are Class and can agree a two year deal which is reasonable to all parties they aren’t gonna sign anyone, Remember Gaz Hocks deal and the player who took us to a tribunal and won. Our fingers have been burnt a few times and I’m afraid this is the way forward until the money hopefully comes in from the land then we can assemble a strong squad on permanent contracts.

Is it the the way forward, it is only short term and does nothing to develop  younger players?  Remember, even Super League players have to start somewhere. From the club perspective, if the club wants to press for the play offs, then with a limited budget it is the only option, BUT if that club then wins promotion, they are starting from scratch again. Playing, and developing younger players may mean a couple of seasons getting established, and loitering in mid table, but surely that will make that club stronger and more sustainable in the future. And it will cost less.

I accept what TPH says about a lack of experience in the reserves, but they will never get the experience, and the chance to develop and improve, without opportunities to play at that level.

13 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Is it the the way forward, it is only short term and does nothing to develop  younger players?  Remember, even Super League players have to start somewhere. From the club perspective, if the club wants to press for the play offs, then with a limited budget it is the only option, BUT if that club then wins promotion, they are starting from scratch again. Playing, and developing younger players may mean a couple of seasons getting established, and loitering in mid table, but surely that will make that club stronger and more sustainable in the future. And it will cost less.

I accept what TPH says about a lack of experience in the reserves, but they will never get the experience, and the chance to develop and improve, without opportunities to play at that level.

Just puzzled as to why you have come on our forum to make this point - what's the difference between what we are doing and your club bringing in Batchelor/Baldwinson on loan and then sending your own demoted players to play for Coventry?

25 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Just puzzled as to why you have come on our forum to make this point - what's the difference between what we are doing and your club bringing in Batchelor/Baldwinson on loan and then sending your own demoted players to play for Coventry?

Gone Fishing.But not many bites yet i think most of us on the Forum are wise to questions about Dual Reg by now.

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fair point. But if uncorrected it just becomes the mantra across the league about us and DR and it's so easy to point out the double standards that it's hard not to respond.

My original post was a genuine question, not a dig at Rovers or anybody who uses D/R. It is there to be used. York used it last season and were criticised by other League 1 clubs supporters even though some used it more than York.  The loan situation at York is out of necessity. We had a squad of 25 at the start of the season. Bachelor came in for round 3, but it is only in the last month we have recruited 4 more loanees to cover a crippling injury list, Hence Baldwinson joining last week. Now 2 of the loanees are injured as well. Having said that, we will go with what we have standing over the weekend, no additions from outside. 

Looking forward to the game, should be a good one.

2 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

I think the whole DR thing has numbed our supporters hence no reactive posts anymore. There’s more important stuff to discuss like how can I smuggle my flask into the ground.

There’s more important stuff to discuss like how I can’t see the fireworks in daylight.

Archived