The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

On 19/06/2019 at 12:50, Damien said:

My point is more how much that media reaction was guided by ruling Conservative party, Thatcher, the Police and the likes of Bernard Ingham in the first place.

nope, it was based upon the stain of some soccer fans hooligan behaviour over a period of time - by no means do I attribute this to Hillsborough or Liverpool fans (leaving Heysal aside) . This led to a unchallenged narrative to be easily believed.

The instinctive reaction without any media prompting was to blame fans. If the hooligan fan  culture of the prior period had been different the media would have been more circumspect and "checking of" in what they reported.

Unfortunately it took many years to correct peoples impressions and minds as to what really happened. That was more difficult because of the history across football over many years prior.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

It was also before Saints moved into their new stadium.

I hope they are promoting themselves in Liverpool.

I can't imagine it's not possible to persuade at least 500 Liverpudlians to begin supporting them.

a good proportion of people living in St Helens are from Liverpool, as housing is cheaper. Your as much likely to hear a scouse accent then a tradition "T" this and "T" that Lancs accent nowadays. Well I do when I ever I return.Same for Warrington. 

Even those local St Helens living scousers don't attend in any significant numbers..

35 minutes ago, redjonn said:

nope, it was based upon the stain of some soccer fans hooligan behaviour over a period of time - by no means do I attribute this to Hillsborough or Liverpool fans (leaving Heysal aside) . This led to a unchallenged narrative to be easily believed.

The instinctive reaction without any media prompting was to blame fans. If the hooligan fan  culture of the prior period had been different the media would have been more circumspect and "checking of" in what they reported.

Unfortunately it took many years to correct peoples impressions and minds as to what really happened. That was more difficult because of the history across football over many years prior.

Of course they were guided so I don't see how you can nope. Yes events and the hooliganism of the 80s made this easier but it doesn't mean the authorities are blameless.

2 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm glad to say that The Sun are now covering Rugby League again.

I'm delighted for Gary and Gemma Carter.

How did this become apparent Martyn? Have the Sun made a statement to that effect? Has the rift been resolved amicably by SL, RFL? 

21 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

How did this become apparent Martyn? Have the Sun made a statement to that effect? Has the rift been resolved amicably by SL, RFL? 

I'm in contact with Gary and Gemma. I'll be writing about it in League Express on Monday.

28 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm working actively to further trash its reputation.... All RL fans should do the same. 

Nah, I shouldn't. I have other things to do with my time that are far more important to me.

Just because I enjoy watching RL shouldn't force me to be an activist against a newspaper.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Of course they were guided so I don't see how you can nope. Yes events and the hooliganism of the 80s made this easier but it doesn't mean the authorities are blameless.

The government of the day, of which ever type, would have been guided by the official reports, primary from the Police.   Their upon lays the biggest blame in any mis-information.

The general public in their readiness to think the worst of the fans and hence the reasons behind that readiness as in the prior perceived soccer climate are part of the ease of believing any incorrect reporting. I have no axe to grind against political individuals or parties. 

43 minutes ago, redjonn said:

The government of the day, of which ever type, would have been guided by the official reports, primary from the Police.   Their upon lays the biggest blame in any mis-information.

The general public in their readiness to think the worst of the fans and hence the reasons behind that readiness as in the prior perceived soccer climate are part of the ease of believing any incorrect reporting. I have no axe to grind against political individuals or parties. 

Which is why I said the Police, to which you said nope. Thatcher and the Conservatives also didn't want the Police to get the blame and looked to deflect blame away from the Police. This is quite evident if you care to look.

4 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm glad to say that The Sun are now covering Rugby League again.

I'm delighted for Gary and Gemma Carter.

Excellent news.

All true RL fans should now buy the Sun daily to show support and appreciation.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

4 hours ago, Damien said:

We may as well just give up then. There is absolutely no reason that any area should not be able to have a Rugby League club. Liverpool may not become the next Wigan or Leeds but there is no reason that we couldn't have a Newcastle type club. If we had clubs like that up and down the country then Rugby League would be much better for it. Not every club has to be a Super League club.

I agree with your first sentence.  Flogging a dead horse - and this dead horse has been repeatedly flogged for decades now - is a waste of precious resources.  Better to focus attention on where there is a glimmer of hope rather than where the case is hopeless.

16 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I agree with your first sentence.  Flogging a dead horse - and this dead horse has been repeatedly flogged for decades now - is a waste of precious resources.  Better to focus attention on where there is a glimmer of hope rather than where the case is hopeless.

A waste of whose resources? What resources are being used?

As for being flogged for decades it has never been tried properly with a well resourced and well backed club. That has been the case for most non heartland new clubs, which for some bizarre reason people then say it can never work there as a result.

19 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Whose resources?

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, Damien said:

A waste of whose resources? What resources are being used?

As for being flogged for decades it has never been tried properly with a well resourced and well backed club. That has been the case for most non heartland new clubs, which for some bizarre reason people then say it can never work there as a result.

The RFL's resources.  

There have been clubs in Liverpool.  But they've never taken off.  How many should be started up before we are allowed to claim rugby league is flogging a dead horse in Liverpool?  

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

How many people actually buy a newspaper in 2019?

I do.  I buy a Sunday Times every week and occasionally I buy a paper during the week too.  There is a real joy in leafing through a broadsheet while having a cuppa in a café.

Just now, Saintslass said:

The RFL's resources.  

There have been clubs in Liverpool.  But they've never taken off.  How many should be started up before we are allowed to claim rugby league is flogging a dead horse in Liverpool?  

What resources? It's a fairly straightforward question.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I agree, but I think we need to be clear about what being successful in Liverpool means.

It may mean every school in Liverpool playing RL, a handful of amateur clubs, plus a growing fan-base around the existing game on TV and in local grounds and major events. Corporate income should obviously be targeted too.

I see little need for a Liverpool Super League team when you have a choice of SL rugby being played less than 20 miles away.

There is also the relocation option Dave. Saints to Liverpool :kolobok_ph34r:

rldfsignature.jpg

On 17/06/2019 at 22:48, paulwalker71 said:

Isn't it obvious that the Sun was looking for a reason to can it's RL coverage, and the Magic scenario gave them an excuse to do so?

Absolutely.

It’s been mentioned in this thread that they haven’t stopped covering football despite being banned from Anfield. Now while it’s right to state “that’s due to the popularity of football, they have no choice”, that paper also extensively covers Liverpool FC (you would think if they were going to react to a club ban (like they have done with RL) they would hold back on Liverpool.., they don’t, in fact Liverpool frequently feature as the headline in the back pages...KOP That..etc. and do so as they are one of the two most popular clubs in the country and generate widespread readership among fans of Liverpool outside Merseyside). 

Despite the ban, covering Liverpool FC is in the papers interest. A journo being banned from a ground for one weekend should have zero affect on the papers coverage of RL. Clearly this was an excuse to pull out all-together. Money talks. They have ditched RL knowing it’s no loss for them...as an organisation they are morally bankrupt.

On 19/06/2019 at 12:42, Martyn Sadler said:

In 1989 the immediate reaction of most of the media and therefore most of the general public was that it was almost certainly the fault of Liverpool supporters. The police accounts of the tragedy certainly contributed to that climate. It was only some time afterwards, when the truth started to come out, that the public feeling began to change.

Most of the media did not say people robbed from the dead, that they beat up cops giving the kiss of life. The Sun are banned, and other organisations are not, because they are a disgusting rag. 

On 19/06/2019 at 08:17, Angelic Cynic said:

I thought it a valid point ,made by a writer from Wigan,in this weeks RLE,that the owner of the Sun,and Sky TV,is Mr Murdoch,but while Anfield ban The Sun they accept the monies from Sky.

I don't think we should lose sight of the fact Gary Carter may lose his job as a direct result of the actions made by a club in a high-unemployment area.

I seem to recall Gary Carter may have been forgiving,to a degree,or hold no malice towards his attacker.The love and support for him,from his wife,was particularly brilliant. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35503983

Of course,the loss of life at a soccer game could have occurred at many places during the 70's,80's and 90's.Not least Anfield during the 1960's.I blame the police. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNboU_PbZMY

It should be remembered that Liverpool has 2 cathedrals.In a secular society the art of forgiveness as stated in The Lords prayer doesn't seem to be in much evidence.

During the 2nd World War,the city of Liverpool took more bombing than other cities,except London.Huge loss of life,no doubt.

Yet the Germans,who apparently bombed the 'chippie' as used by comedian Stan Boardman,have been forgiven and they appointed a German manager who has just guided Liverpool to win the Champions League.

Strangely,it seems he is religious.A christian.One of those who can do forgiveness.

http://evangelicalfocus.com/lifetech/4134/Jurgen_Klopp_Jesus_is_the_most_important_person_in_history

https://www.premierchristianity.com/Blog/Klopp-The-Christian-football-manager-who-says-there-s-more-to-life-than-winning-trophies

Extremely popular with the man - and woman - in the street on various Twitter accounts,I would suspect most strongly,that Mr Klopp may be able to have some bearing on this matter.

Fate also dictates that the captain of Liverpool,Jordan Henderson,has a father,with whom he embraced at the conclusion of winning the European Trophy,who is a police officer with Northumbria Police.  

I have no interest in The Sun,or Liverpool FC,but I would like Gary Carter to be in employment and continue to bring rugby league reports out on a regular basis.

Can we leave the hypocrisy to the politicians? Is it not time one of those petition things(?) was started so simpletons like me can just sign it?

You are equating Liverpool appointing a German manager in 2015, 70 years after a war that had nothing to do with him, with Liverpool banning a rag in 2019, a rag that directly caused suffering to fans of the club by publishing lies on an event that is still going through the courts to this day. 

You couldn’t make it up.

On 19/06/2019 at 12:11, fighting irish said:

Yes of course, so why turn on RL in this instance, what possible motive could they have? If we issued an accreditation to their man, what's their beef, with us?

There’s no beef (if there was any they would have reacted to Liverpool FC by covering the club less, they don’t).

RL is disposable to them, this was their excuse to ditch it. Money talks, yet here you are pandering to them. 

Archived