Sign in to follow this  
Yosser

The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Very few people buy newspapers anymore, its a tiny fraction of the population. 

The idea that the entrance of any newspaper, never mind the sun, would be anywhere close to a determining factor for where we hold Magic is just silly. 

More people are reading newspapers than ever before, if you factor in their online editions.

And The Sun, according to this article from last year, is leading the pack.

• Like 2

The Sun as we all know is banned because of its reporting over  Hillsborough. That I understand, especially as I lost a close cousin & nephew.

Never-the-less I remember how at the time an awful lot of people were very ready to believe the initial reporting as to were blame should lie, not just the Sun. I certainly hope that all those "holier than thou" people I heard and continue to hear didn't at the time believe anything other than what they know now. I can still hear the bleating of many from the time.

For me time has moved on, people at the organisation are different people in the main, so for me I don't have a continued intense dislike for the organisation. I do however support the wider family groupings that wish to continue to ban the Sun from Anfield and for which the club are carrying out that wish.

I don't think RFL/SL should accept playing at an arena for which it has no say over what media can attend.   Different if they themselves followed the wishes of the families and the club by not allowing certain publications/media, but then that would be its own decision.  

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

The Sun as we all know is banned because of its reporting over  Hillsborough. That I understand, especially as I lost a close cousin & nephew.

Never-the-less I remember how at the time an awful lot of people were very ready to believe the initial reporting as to were blame should lie, not just the Sun. I certainly hope that all those "holier than thou" people I heard and continue to hear didn't at the time believe anything other than what they know now. I can still hear the bleating of many from the time.

For me time has moved on, people at the organisation are different people in the main, so for me I don't have a continued intense dislike for the organisation. I do however support the wider family groupings that wish to continue to ban the Sun from Anfield and for which the club are carrying out that wish.

I don't think RFL/SL should accept playing at an arena for which it has no say over what media can attend.   Different if they themselves followed the wishes of the families and the club by not allowing certain publications/media, but then that would be its own decision.  

I suspect the the MW wont be held at Anfield next season and not just because of The Sun incident.

I hope that's not an elitist comment from someone who's from a council estate and one of 10 kids

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I suspect the the MW wont be held at Anfield next season and not just because of The Sun incident.

I hope that's not an elitist comment from someone who's from a council estate and one of 10 kids

Not so sure it won't be at Anfield as Elstone gave a good indication in his commentary immediately after the last game of the MW.   As I remember he went on about having to carefully review how it went and not rush decisions, etc, etc... then a couple of questions later said he thought it would be at Anfield as it went well.

We have a similar background.... but I could be elitist now despite that..... I'm not but...

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyn Sadler said:

This topic has revealed that a lot of posters don't like The Sun and don't buy it, which makes me wonder who does buy it to make it the biggest selling newspaper in the country.

It's worth pointing out that Liverpool FC have a perfect right to ban The Sun or any other media organisation from Anfield if they wish to do so. They can ban The Sun just for their games, or they can extend the ban to other events taking place at Anfield.

But if they do the latter, you would imagine that they would inform the organisation booking the stadium at the time the booking is formalised, so that the organisation, in this case Super League, can decide whether it wants to proceed on this basis.

What isn't satisfactory is not telling Super League this beforehand and then unilaterally overruling Super League's accreditation of Gary Carter for the Magic Weekend.

It's also worth pointing out that Super League announced a few weeks ago that it had agreed a new sponsorship deal with Betfred on enhanced terms. In pitching for that agreement, Super League and Betfred will have based their agreement on how much media coverage Super League was likely to achieve. Although I obviously wasn't party to the agreement, it's likely that the coverage in national newspapers, including The Sun, will have been part of the thinking of both parties that will have determined the amount act Betfred will have agreed to pay. As has been pointed out on here, the demographic that buys The Sun isn't a million miles from the demographic that watches Rugby League.

And for those who don't read The Sun, it's worth pointing out that Gary Carter is a fine journalist who has broken many stories in that newspaper. So if it is withdrawing its coverage it will be a loss for Super League, whether we like it or not.

Before this row blew up I wouldn't have taken the Magic Weekend to Anfield simply because there appears to be very little interest in Rugby League in Liverpool. The city is obsessed by football and few alternative sports have much of a chance there.

But, regardless of whether we think The Sun is acting petulantly or not, Super League can't allow other organisations to dictate its media accreditation policy. It has to decide for itself who it will accredit and if it wishes to ban The Sun it has to be its own decision, not Liverpool FC's.

That is the issue, and it seems a pretty fundamental one to me.

UEFA overturn the ban for Champions League fixtures. 

I suspect that if Liverpool didnt comply they would be made to play home games in a different stadium.

As you state, the only recourse the RFL have would be to take the magic weekend elsewhere.

It's interesting though that LFC upheld their principles for the magic weekend yet not for the Champions League. 

I suspect the amount of money they receive from UEFA has a large influence.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Very few people buy newspapers anymore, its a tiny fraction of the population. 

The idea that the entrance of any newspaper, never mind the sun, would be anywhere close to a determining factor for where we hold Magic is just silly. 

The sun still has a massive readership and losing its backing it a major disaster going into a TV negotiation with Sky and when looking for sponsorship.  I dont like the politics of any of the newspapers but they are essential part in giving the sport a national media profile.

My opinion of Elstone is that he is fairly dim witted individual who has found a sport to shine in because he looks nice in a suit and the other administrators struggle to string a sentence together.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Niels said:

UEFA overturn the ban for Champions League fixtures. 

I suspect that if Liverpool didnt comply they would be made to play home games in a different stadium.

As you state, the only recourse the RFL have would be to take the magic weekend elsewhere.

It's interesting though that LFC upheld their principles for the magic weekend yet not for the Champions League. 

I suspect the amount of money they receive from UEFA has a large influence.

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't realised that the ban doesn't apply for Champions League games.

I also didn't realise that the ban wasn't imposed until early 2017, if I understand it correctly, which seems to be a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

In my view that makes the ban on Gary Carter totally unjustifiable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you are looking for a budget newspaper that does a bit of R.L. coverage; consider switching to the Daily Star. They usually have a R.L. page, or two, on match days. Also, last Tuesday they did a feature an Luther Burrell, his switch to R.L., current fitness training to adapt etc. Good stuff, interesting, and not even on a game day. I don't buy the Sun or the Star but I can usually find them laying around at work in the tea break room, in our local Chinese & Chippie, and at my local social club. The tabloids may only sell a few million a day but the reach is greater as each copy may be read by more than one person. And then, there is their Interweb presence. I haven't tried the Mirror but people have told me they are good for R.L too. The Daily Express does a postage stamp sized report on Super League games but not much more. Interestingly the Star, Mirror and Express are all owned by the same parent company.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

If so would the rest of the RL writers give their support to him and boycott going to Anfield if any future games were played there ?

If it became known that they would - and thus not give the game any publicity - then it might then it might make the RFL think of playing the matches elsewhere.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Thanks for posting that. I hadn't realised that the ban doesn't apply for Champions League games.

I also didn't realise that the ban wasn't imposed until early 2017, if I understand it correctly, which seems to be a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

The way that the Sun reported on the incident that led to all of those dead liverpool fans, and the subsequent years of failure on the part of the Sun to acknowledge or apologise for the way in which they disrespected the dead is the only "totally unjustifiable"  thing that I can see here. 

Edited by Jampot

1 minute ago, Jampot said:

The way that the Sun reported on the incident that led to all of those dead liverpool fans, and the subsequent years of failure on the part of the Sun to acknowledge their failungs is the only "totally unjustifiable"  thing that I can see here. 

Quite possibly true in relation to The Sun, although it did publish a full apology in 2012.

17 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Quite possibly true in relation to The Sun, although it did publish a full apology in 2012.

Going off that then maybe Gary can expect his apology sometime around 2042. 

49 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Gary Carter

Really feel sorry for Gary, caught up in the middle of a kerfuffle between LIverpool and the Sun. Poor bloke seems to have lost his job through no fault of his own. A Great Shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jampot said:

The way that the Sun reported on the incident that led to all of those dead liverpool fans, and the subsequent years of failure on the part of the Sun to acknowledge or apologise for the way in which they disrespected the dead is the only "totally unjustifiable"  thing that I can see here. 

Perhaps we should ask Fred Done to stop sponsoring Super League as gambling is destructive to people lives.

Selective morality is an interesting concept.

Not one I think the sport can choose to play with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

If so would the rest of the RL writers give their support to him and boycott going to Anfield if any future games were played there ?

If it became known that they would - and thus not give the game any publicity - then it might then it might make the RFL think of playing the matches elsewhere.

Super League this one.  RFL is not guilty.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Super League this one.  RFL is not guilty.

I don't mean just the Magic Weekend but any future fixtures - Anfield is one of the venues for the 2021 World Cup

Anyhow, nobody has yet committed to answering the two questions I posed ....

Irrespective of peoples' own view on the content of the Sun, the reporter was there to promote our game and if it was Liverpool FC's decision to prevent a RL writer from attending the event then how many people would be willing to show solidarity, not for the Sun but for the game of RL, and boycott going to the Magic Weekend if it was again at Anfield ?

Martyn Sadler said he thought the ban on Gary Carter was totally unjustifiable so would the rest of the RL writers give their support to him and boycott going to Anfield if any future games were played there ?

For both cases, if the answer is "no" then how else can Liverpool FC be aware of how RL supporters feel about the situation ?

All I can say is that when the next thread starts up asking how to grow the game with people yelling 'marketing' like it's going out of fashion, please think back to this thread. Losing the Sun's coverage is losing a decent bit of public awareness and 'marketing'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

If you are looking for a budget newspaper that does a bit of R.L. coverage; consider switching to the Daily Star. They usually have a R.L. page, or two, on match days. Also, last Tuesday they did a feature an Luther Burrell, his switch to R.L., current fitness training to adapt etc. Good stuff, interesting, and not even on a game day. I don't buy the Sun or the Star but I can usually find them laying around at work in the tea break room, in our local Chinese & Chippie, and at my local social club. The tabloids may only sell a few million a day but the reach is greater as each copy may be read by more than one person. And then, there is their Interweb presence. I haven't tried the Mirror but people have told me they are good for R.L too. The Daily Express does a postage stamp sized report on Super League games but not much more. Interestingly the Star, Mirror and Express are all owned by the same parent company.

Bizarrely the paper is not always completely 'regionalized' for Scotland either, so occasionally the RL stuff pops up in the editions sold in Scotland. I would never read this paper as a rule, but the occasional copy I have found has usually surprised me with the amount of sympathetic Rugby League coverage within.

I have often wondered if the RFL/Super League should consider approaching it and proposing "Official Newspaper Of...." status - with preferential access etc.

The paper must be desperate for market share after all, and definitely seems to have a 'northern' vibe about it.

• Like 1

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Look the marketing opportunities alone make this invaluable, it's gold.

We stage a BANNED BY THE SUN ROUND and offer half price tickets to people on benefits and anyone else hounded and hunted by this newspaper and have shirt designs for every side that reflect their stories.

We could call it the GOTCHA  round!

Edited by Oxford

5 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

RFL is not guilty.

Only because they're the sporting equivalent of the three wise monkeys!

Hear Nowt, See Nowt, Say Nowt

TWM.PNG.b53e687a54591401d4b6a73030834ded.PNG

And you won't have to do owt!