Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yosser

The Sun now banning RL indefinitely

Will anyone even notice? They had to mention results as it's the only thing they probably do publish!

All RL fans should boycott that ###### of a newspaper in response. 

• Like 6

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 minutes ago, Yosser said:

The cold war between the Sun and the sport shows no signs of thawing. The ban even includes publishing any results.

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/publishing-news/2019/06/sun-boycotts-rugby-league-after-being-barred-magic-weekend

Strange they haven't banned all stories relating to football seeing as the sun is banned from Anfield for football games.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

In my opinion, the game would demonstrate integrity and achieve enhanced credibility from solidarity with the people of Liverpool, and other wronged institutions from the past.

Personally, I hope there's no cave in, but rather the maintenance of higher principles.

• Like 2

I can't believe anyone would read that sh*te anyway. 

Good riddance and if anyone here or any where in rigby league has any sense then ban buying/engaging it for ever now

• Like 4

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I can't believe anyone would read that sh*te anyway. 

Good riddance and if anyone here or any where in rugby league has any sense then they would now avoid buying/engaging it for ever now

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Banned by The Sun! How has this been allowed to happen? They produced a pullout for the 2017 World Cup FFS. 

I also noticed the there was no results in The Times as well.

I wouldn’t use the S*n for toilet paper but this seems very childish from them. They know they’re banned from Anfield, it’s not a RL thing

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Strange they haven't banned all stories relating to football seeing as the sun is banned from Anfield for football games.

Its not really. Football is huge and such a move would harm sales. Rugby League unfortunately is small fry and its not like there is loads of coverage elsewhere for readers to switch to.

28 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Who exactly banned the reporter from Anfield ?

If it was the RFL then I can understand the Sun's action but if it was the Liverpool club then why take it out on the entire game of RL ?

Probably because banning rugby will allow it to get on its soap box but have virtually no effect on sales whereas banning football would absolutely decimate sales. To say The Sum are being disingenuous about this is an understatement, whatever misguided assurances the RFL might have given The Sun knew they were banned from Anfield and almost certainly knew that this applied to all events.

As others have said, boycotting The Sun would be easy for me as not only will I not buy it I wouldn't even take it when they were giving them away for free in the newsagents a few weeks ago

• Like 3

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say-  I bet the Sun newspaper goes to the wall before the sport of RL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It makes not one jot of difference what forum members think about the Sun, or what it has done, or what it does, etc. It sells over 1,500,000 copies a day, and in all its forms reaches upwards of 10, 000, 000 a day. Its coverage of sports is in my view  a key reason for these high numbers. In adDitton,  the Sun reader demographic matches the rugby league fan demographic.

I'd say it was important that it covered our game so as to increase awareness in that demographic so finding out what went wrong,  who did what and what can be done to put it right.

In addition, it has to be remembered that the Sun was originally the Daily Herald, then when that failed, became Labour stalwart Robert Maxwell's Sun, before Rupert Murdoch finally rescued it from bankruptcy and obscurity,  creating many jobs in the process.

• Like 4

Four legs good - two legs bad

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It makes not one jot of difference what forum members think about the Sun, or what it has done, or what it does, etc. It sells over 1,500,000 copies a day, and in all its forms reaches upwards of 10, 000, 000 a day. Its coverage of sports is in my view  a key reason for these high numbers. In adDitton,  the Sun reader demographic matches the rugby league fan demographic.

I'd say it was important that it covered our game so as to increase awareness in that demographic so finding out what went wrong,  who did what and what can be done to put it right.

In addition, it has to be remembered that the Sun was originally the Daily Herald, then when that failed, became Labour stalwart Robert Maxwell's Sun, before Rupert Murdoch finally rescued it from bankruptcy and obscurity,  creating many jobs in the process.

No, that was the Mirror

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Cap'n Bob tried to buy The Sun, but failed when Murdoch promised fewer redundancies as part of his bid.

Edited by Futtocks

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Good. Homophobic, sexist, racist propaganda rag.

Plenty of better ways if reaching people that dont mean debasing yourself. 

A game that was borne out the working class rebelling could be no truer to its roots than leaning in to this and telling the sun where it can shove its coverage

We would get more coverage from everywhere else by banning the sun than we ever got from it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, it’s actually an opportunity. Hopefully the powers that be can see it that way.

the sun had no intention of reporting magic all this rubbish it's not football they know they are banned from the ground full stop no football no press conferences no player interviews they were banned from the take that concert at anfield have they stopped reporting on them

if they had any interest in rugby league gary carter could have gone to the matches as a reporter accredited to the press association  or the scumbags  sister papers the times or sunday times who all  have access to anfield

• Like 3

Isn't it obvious that the Sun was looking for a reason to can it's RL coverage, and the Magic scenario gave them an excuse to do so?

• Like 5