Match Thread: Halifax v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 30th June 2019

marklaspalmas

26 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

How did we line up?

Turner Dagger Hardcastle Carey Briscoe McLleland Chisholm Wheeldon King Ormonroyd Day Walters Lockwood Subs Teteh Cooper Maskill Makatoa.     So no Golding and Sutcliffe.Thought Dagger did ok for his first game but he clearly is not a winger {lack of pace} Carey struggled a bit on defence in the centre and he is a better winger, didn't pick Mclleland out but he too was ok but we missed Holmes.Makatoa had a good game when he came on as did Cooper apart from giving as soft penalty away at the ruck which led to Fax scoring in their set.Every player gave 100%.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Glad i got that prediction wrong Fax by 6.Thought it was one of our best displays of the season as Fax nearly stole the game when getting level at 18-18.All the players put in the effort Cam King ,Briscoe,and Hardcastle being my pick.Chissy copped one again{on report}and it seems teams are making him a target to put him off his game.I thought we would win by the players attitude in the warm up,they seemed switched on.Great support from our tavelling fans who made it a terrific atmosphere in the stand.Role on next week another close game in prospect,the Championship delivers again.

To be honest after the last couple of weeks I think our half backs are being targeted maybe if referees aren’t going to protect them the forwards need to step up and sort it out?

57 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Turner Dagger Hardcastle Carey Briscoe McLleland Chisholm Wheeldon King Ormonroyd Day Walters Lockwood Subs Teteh Cooper Maskill Makatoa.     So no Golding and Sutcliffe.Thought Dagger did ok for his first game but he clearly is not a winger {lack of pace} Carey struggled a bit on defence in the centre and he is a better winger, didn't pick Mclleland out but he too was ok but we missed Holmes.Makatoa had a good game when he came on as did Cooper apart from giving as soft penalty away at the ruck which led to Fax scoring in their set.Every player gave 100%.

Thanks for that. With no Holmes, Golding or Sutcliffe and Harrison including long missing Bussey we did alright with all that talent missing. How did TT do? Did he come on in the later stages?

Teteh or maskill didnt play - ill get to that

Never a 24-18 game gifted them their 12 pts in second half with a 10 min snooze they looked devoid of ideas for 70 mins of that game definately missing some organisation from murrell 

Anyway theyve gone now and out of the equation for top 5 for me 

the subs very baffling today as with most of the season - King hopping around on one leg for most of second half but chooses not to bring on maskill even for a cameo - same with teteh 

We wont get away with this poor subbing next week

Thought Makatoa was massive for us today and Carey....till he had a brainfart for tyrers second try

Nonetheless only 1 defeat in 11 seasons at fax 

15 hours ago, mightyship said:

Couldn’t go today but listened on Rovers TV. Good win but performance sounded scratchy again - a bit like against Sheffield and Widnes. Good in patches but not quite clinical. Be interested to hear the thoughts of those that could attend- how were we?

and do we look good enough to take Leigh next week?

Scratchy probably sums up both teams performances although we are at the lower end of scratchy. I was surprised the contrast in performances from the Fev side I saw play at the bash and was worried we could get a big score put on us the way we are playing. From a Fev point of view you lot must be happy with any away win in the Championship and from a Fax point of view not really much to build on as it were the same problems that have cost us all season, discipline, unforced errors, and poor defence on our own line.

As for Leigh having seen you both recently I would say that Leigh are the better team and they look like scoring every time they have the ball however I thought Fev were the 2nd best team in the league up until last week so it could all change again after next weeks game.

5 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Scratchy probably sums up both teams performances although we are at the lower end of scratchy. I was surprised the contrast in performances from the Fev side I saw play at the bash and was worried we could get a big score put on us the way we are playing. From a Fev point of view you lot must be happy with any away win in the Championship and from a Fax point of view not really much to build on as it were the same problems that have cost us all season, discipline, unforced errors, and poor defence on our own line.

As for Leigh having seen you both recently I would say that Leigh are the better team and they look like scoring every time they have the ball however I thought Fev were the 2nd best team in the league up until last week so it could all change again after next weeks game.

We were unable to call on Sutcliffe. Golding Davies Holmes and Harrison from that impressive performance at Blackpool. However Fax were without their talisman Murrell but I do agree with you that Toronto apart I think Leigh are the better side in the championship especially with Toulouse being without key players recently. However we were supposedly a cut above Barrow so I think if you turnup mentally on the day any team can knock off any other. Think Fax have been suffering from semi finalitis.

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

We were unable to call on Sutcliffe. Golding Davies Holmes and Harrison from that impressive performance at Blackpool. However Fax were without their talisman Murrell but I do agree with you that Toronto apart I think Leigh are the better side in the championship especially with Toulouse being without key players recently. However we were supposedly a cut above Barrow so I think if you turnup mentally on the day any team can knock off any other. Think Fax have been suffering from semi finalitis.

I honestly don't think the semi final has had any impact. Other than the game against London and a home game against Dewsbury we have been average at best and that's been kind. Its hard to put a finger on what has gone wrong compared to the last 3 or 4 seasons where we were very competitive.

Its a great competition Im just sad that we wont be part of the battle at the top this season but like you say if a team has an off day they will get beat although I would expect Toronto to be clear in 1st and then Leigh, Toulouse and Fev will make up the next 3 and on their day any of those could give Toronto a game in the final. Whoever makes 5th will be there just as a token to make the numbers up.

2 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I think Fax have been suffering from semi finalitis before we even made it to Bolton❗?  Fev were poor yesterday but still too good for Fax who will do well to make the top half of the table at this rate. Any road,  we had a good wander around Fax with a few of our Fev mates and at least the ale was good. ?? so not all was lost. ? Up The Fax ❗

33 minutes ago, Ainley Top said:

I think Fax have been suffering from semi finalitis before we even made it to Bolton❗?  Fev were poor yesterday but still too good for Fax who will do well to make the top half of the table at this rate. Any road,  we had a good wander around Fax with a few of our Fev mates and at least the ale was good. ?? so not all was lost. ? Up The Fax

We are not hitting our straps like a few weeks ago Ainley. The difference is Barrow apart we have managed to pick up some points where as Fax have had upheavel with changing coaches. The cup does affect players mindsets though and if you recall a few years ago when Fev knocked Cas out of the cup we let in sixty points at home to Fax and Sheffield within a few weeks whilst concentrating on our cup run. We will need a big improvement next week but its not beyond our capabilities. Glad you had fun with some Fev fans cos all we hear are the bad parts.

On 01/07/2019 at 08:49, The Blues Ox said:

We had a hot run a few weeks ago but had been scratchy despite the scorelines when beating Sheffield and Widnes prior to the Barrow debacle.

Having turned the ball over on the first or second tackle about a dozen times against Barrow it was always going to be on the cards that we would play conservative, risk-free rugby against Fax, especially with Holmes a late absentee, and fortunately that was enough. wasn't a great game with baerly a clean break on either side but the 2pts were vital for Fev.

Six months ago Fax looked one of the likelier candidates for top two or three whilst our squad looked totally decimated so it's quite a turnaround to see Fev in the top 5 whilst Fax have pretty much accepted they won't make the top 5.

Archived