Wigan miss the boat

49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Once again RL misses the boat on marketing , Wigan Warriors could have done it but didn't 

Crusty the pie , the new WA mascot , would surely have been better than that ' Maximus ' Character ?

I believe they’ve had a pie mascot in the past at some point, not quite the same as Crusty

Uninteresting fact. I know the person under the pastry ?

9 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Do you remember Leigh's mascot ( Parky the Pig , don't ask ) at the 2004 NL1 GF , with his " I'd rather be a party than a pie " sign 

I must admit I don't but one of my best moments at magic weekend was Leigh and Leeds fans in the Leazes end chanting "I'd rather have a pasty than a pie" together. I felt like I'd finally found people who understood the (sporting) hatred haha!

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Once again RL misses the boat on marketing , Wigan Warriors could have done it but didn't 

Crusty the pie , the new WA mascot , would surely have been better than that ' Maximus ' Character ?

Designed by a Turner nominated artist...  The Latics were robbed!  The Warriors were saved by a miracle from that!

In truth Wigan were beaten by Leigh to  better moniker... Centurions.  The region does after all have a roman history. 

It does make me think ... do St. Helens gave a mascot?  I suppose St. Helens don't have a nickname for obvious reasons. Do they feel deprived?

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Designed by a Turner nominated artist...  The Latics were robbed!  The Warriors were saved by a miracle from that!

In truth Wigan were beaten by Leigh to  better moniker... Centurions.  The region does after all have a roman history. 

It does make me think ... do St. Helens gave a mascot?  I suppose St. Helens don't have a nickname for obvious reasons. Do they feel deprived?

St Bernard at Saints 

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Does anyone know when mascots first started popping up in sport? I tried to find this out a while back and couldn't find much at all. 

Inagine the Americans started it off, for RL it  was when SL started.

As part of the rebranding every team had one, along with nicknames - plus cheerleader squads I think.

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Where does the boat come into it ?

On the stretch of canal between the DW and Wigan Pier.

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Poor thing looks a bit miserable. 

Oddly enough, we were actually having this discussion at the Challenge Cup Semi Final that the mascot's head these days is vastly different to the one Sean Long tried to wear when kicking the post-Wide to West conversion.

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

St Bernard at Saints 

It's 'Boots' now. St Bernard was briefly replaced by 'Roid Rage St Bernard' and his more child-friendly sidekick 'Boots' (2008-ish I think), before the latter became top dog

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Given the history of glass making in the area and the number of finals and semis we've stuffed up in the last 15 years, the St Helens Bottlers might be quite apt (getting that in before someone else does ?). I'm glad we don't have a formal nickname to be honest, all a bit too Americanised

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Does anyone know when mascots first started popping up in sport? I tried to find this out a while back and couldn't find much at all. 

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2016/09/first-sports-mascot/

is Ronnie a male or female rhino? as I have never heard a voice or seen it urinate -Ronnie can be a male or female name or maybe even non gender

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Inagine the Americans started it off, for RL it  was when SL started.

As part of the rebranding every team had one, along with nicknames - plus cheerleader squads I think.

A nickname is useful because a team an move from say Oakland to Las Vegas but still keep their "brand".

Washington Redskins started in Boston.

13 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

A nickname is useful because a team an move from say Oakland to Las Vegas but still keep their "brand".

Washington Redskins started in Boston.

So we nearly had the Toronto Centurions ?

51 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

is Ronnie a male or female rhino? as I have never heard a voice or seen it urinate -Ronnie can be a male or female name or maybe even non gender

Ronnie is a male afaik he had a whole family including Mrs Rita Rhino at one point.

Archived