Trains, Planes & Automobiles

Just a general transport-related thread.

If you've used the East Coast railway line, you may have spotted an odd red, white and blue object, perched on a length of concrete, by the river in Peterborough.

Here is the story of the "tracked hovercraft"; a cancelled maglev project.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have travelled by foot, bicycle, motorbike, car, coach/bus, train (electric, diesel and steam), helicopter, airplane (prop and jet), hovercraft, hot air balloon and all manner of boats. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

For anyone travelling between Scarborough and Liverpool via York, Leeds and Huddersfield, the new loco-hauled Transpennine Express trains have finally started running. Haven't managed to try one yet but they certainly look (and sound) impressive.

6 hours ago, Padge said:

I have travelled by foot, bicycle, motorbike, car, coach/bus, train (electric, diesel and steam), helicopter, airplane (prop and jet), hovercraft, hot air balloon and all manner of boats. 

I have never been in a hot air balloon, and no intention of ever doing so. I have however been in a Glider. I can't say I travelled because we landed on the same runway we took off from.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I have never been in a hot air balloon, and no intention of ever doing so. I have however been in a Glider. I can't say I travelled because we landed on the same runway we took off from.

Hot air balloon is great way to travel, only thing is you don't know where you will be going. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

8 hours ago, Padge said:

Me too. I have also been on a maglev train. I have been travel sick only on the car, coach/bus, train, airplane and boat though. Antarctica is the only continent where I have yet to be travel sick.

I have now crossed the Corinth Canal by train and sailed through the Corinth Canal twice going under the bridge I went over on. 

This is a photo of an hot air balloon taken from the hot air balloon I was in. 

Ballooning at sunrise on the banks of the Nile.

For non-tourist transport I’ve travelled by ferry, train (diesel, standard electric, rack and steam), bus, monorail, horse and carriage, elephant, bicycle, plane, car, motorbike, bicycle taxi, tuk tuk, tram, cable car and possibly a few others.

It’s all good fun.

I like this experimental line that was also used in the original Fahrenheit 451 movie 

• Like 1

Copa just reminded me, I have also travelled by horse, horse & cart and by donkey. 

When I was in my teens I often traveled by steam roller, crewing on it taking it to and from shows. It would take two days to cover around 50 miles. 

• Like 1

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I’ll see your horse, horse and cart and donkey and raise you camel

Done a camel as well, scarery than ballooning. 

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1

Also done Vernacular railway and cable car. 

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

Chain ferry and zip wire

Done chain ferry but never done zip wire. 

Mustn't forget tram. 

16 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Narrow boat

Tick. 

Hydrofoil done a few times. 

It's my ultimate life's dream to get my pilots license but unfortunately a few years ago I had a diagnosis that means I can't even drive a car. I am determined to learn one day. I wish I had been around in the 50s and had a chance to take a flight on that great line of planes, the Lockheed constellations, what a beautiful plane that was. 

Currently on my way to Austria and Slovakia by train, with an overnight in London. Hope to get a few forms of transport in just on this trip. There's a funicular railway in the Tatras. Bike around Bratislava. Trams, Tube, car, foot, cable car, and possibly a boat between Vienna and Bratislava. 

1 minute ago, shaun mc said:

Currently on my way to Austria and Slovakia by train, with an overnight in London. Hope to get a few forms of transport in just on this trip. There's a funicular railway in the Tatras. Bike around Bratislava. Trams, Tube, car, foot, cable car, and possibly a boat between Vienna and Bratislava. 

Tatra was also the name of the makers of a very advanced streamlined car for its time, and one that Volkswagen's Ferdinand Porsche looked to for quite a few design ideas.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonight and last night and hopefully tomorrow night I have been watching the ultimate in high speed travel as the international space station passed overhead. Visible quite clearly speeding across the evening sky. 

• Like 1

Best cycle: Penzance to Lands End

Best motor bike: Scooter to Tyne cot

Best rail: Barcelona > Madrid or Paris >Perpignan or Manchester to Norwich (A whole new life..)

Best Air: London>Sydney with 3 stops (yeah, I know...). It was cheap.....

Best walk: Penzance to Lizard Point, and discovering something my Dad might have had a hand in.

15 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Best cycle: Penzance to Lands End

Best motor bike: Scooter to Tyne cot

Best rail: Barcelona > Madrid or Paris >Perpignan or Manchester to Norwich (A whole new life..)

Best Air: London>Sydney with 3 stops (yeah, I know...). It was cheap.....

Best walk: Penzance to Lizard Point, and discovering something my Dad might have had a hand in.

Penzance to St.Ives is a great walk going straight across Cornwall South to North. 

The St. Erth to St.Ives is a magnificent train journey. 

Alas the Penzance to Scilly Isles helicopter is no longer an option but was superb. 

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1