Jackson Hastings given the all clear for GB

8 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Bloodline is an actual real thing. I'm Welsh but my two children were born in England. My son supports Wales full stop, my daughter supports England at soccer, Wales at rugby. My grandaughter always drinks from a Wales mug at my house and has just gone off to a Welsh University. Like most people I've got a vanload of supermarket plastic bags, but I got 7 that I didn't need from Tesco in Aberystwyth because they are blazoned with the Red Dragon.

Hindus and Sikhs love being British, but most support India at cricket.

I would pay to watch Wales play tiddlywinks. Mind you, I'd draw the line at any raquet sport or golf.

Well let's be honest. There's no chance of getting an England mug! ? 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, damp squib said:

But that came from you imparting your Welsh culture to them, not their bloodline.

If you hadn't done that they would still have "Welsh blood" but no connection to Welsh culture. Certainly less of a connection than someone living in Wales for years with no "Welsh blood".

How do we know that a similar osmosis effect didn't apply in Jackson Hastings' home?

I have distant cousins in Australia ... my grandfather's brother emigrated to Perth straight after World War One. The families have been re-connected since the 1990's. I have a fortysomething cousin Shane (Cliche#1) who is a mad keen Manchester United fan (cliche #2).

?

Anyway, this is my younger granddaughter with Rhys Williams  in 2013.

Alannah and Rhys 100_1466 - cropped (3).jpg

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I cannot stand this attitude from people on here and elsewhere who think they have a right to decide what country a person feels they should play for.

As I have discovered, in Australia millions of people have British heritage - it’s actually quite hard to find those who don’t! It’s amazing how many Aussies I know who were maybe born in England but moved to Aus as a very young child feel extremely proud of their British heritage and will always cheer for England in every sport (especially the Ashes)!

Same goes for younger kids who have never even been to England but their parents were born there and they feel an incredibly strong tie to ‘home’. They’ll always feel English, even though born and bred in Aus.

If anybody has close family heritage to another country they have every right to feel that that is who they want to represent. Their passion can be just as strong as those who were born and bred there.

For me, qualifying for a county on residency rules is a little different. If your only connection to a country is that you’ve lived there a few years, that’s not something I really agree with. I’ve lived in Australia for 14 years now, got the passport and everything, but I’ll never feel like an Aussie as I have no blood connection to the place.

You could argue residency strengthens the case - as that's where they've chosen to make their home. So I think the point is you can argue a million different perspectives. Ultimately, it's up to the player and the coach/selectors. My only issue in all this is when strong nations grab players who are genuinely from developing nations (like we did with Radrada - that was disgusting). 

On 04/10/2019 at 18:38, The Future is League said:

Mercenary, grew up supporting Australia, would have wanted to play for Australia, probably never ever entered his head growing up to play for any other country than Australia, I can't believe that he would have ever had any emotional connection with GB/England, not good enough to play for the country of his birth.

12 hours ago, DiH68 said:

I cannot stand this attitude from people on here and elsewhere who think they have a right to decide what country a person feels they should play for.

As I have discovered, in Australia millions of people have British heritage - it’s actually quite hard to find those who don’t! It’s amazing how many Aussies I know who were maybe born in England but moved to Aus as a very young child feel extremely proud of their British heritage and will always cheer for England in every sport (especially the Ashes)!

Same goes for younger kids who have never even been to England but their parents were born there and they feel an incredibly strong tie to ‘home’. They’ll always feel English, even though born and bred in Aus.

If anybody has close family heritage to another country they have every right to feel that that is who they want to represent. Their passion can be just as strong as those who were born and bred there.

For me, qualifying for a county on residency rules is a little different. If your only connection to a country is that you’ve lived there a few years, that’s not something I really agree with. I’ve lived in Australia for 14 years now, got the passport and everything, but I’ll never feel like an Aussie as I have no blood connection to the place.

Can you not see the irony of starting your post by being angry about people deciding who has the right to represent a country and then ending it by not supporting residency qualification because it is not something you personally agree with?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, DiH68 said:

One off Australia's greatest ever players Dally M winner, one of the "immortals",  selected as a member of the Australian Team of the 20TH Century, "Sport Australia Hall of Fame",  member of the Australian order of Merit for services to RL, recipient of the Australian Sports Medal",  member of the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame, 35 Australian caps and Captain, Australian Coach and Selector, Grand Final winner as both player and Coach, Aus RL TV commentator and pundit who:-

Mr Robert Fulton, born Stockton Heath, Warrington, moved to Australia as a 4 year old with his parents, thought of himself as nothing but Australian. 

I simply detest this modern allowance in any sport that allows player's who are simply not good enough to represent the country of their birth, where they have been brought up with and learned their chosen sport and I would say had ambition to play for "his/her" national team, to simply switch allegiance to any another country willing to accept them. And as for the country who takes them on what kind of message do they send out to those who have missed selection?

I would sooner be a gallant Loser, than a win at all cost merchant.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Mercenary, grew up supporting Australia, would have wanted to play for Australia, probably never ever entered his head growing up to play for any other country than Australia, I can't believe that he would have ever had any emotional connection with GB/England, not good enough to play for the country of his birth.

To be fair, Harry:

- When he was interviewed after this weeks game, he was emotional, not blase. He said that his mother had come over for  a semi-final (where they were not expected to win),  not even for a final.

- He and his family must be really excited how well he is doing over here

- He's staying over here when he must have had offers from back in Australia.

25 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

To be fair, Harry:

- When he was interviewed after this weeks game, he was emotional, not blase. He said that his mother had come over for  a semi-final (where they were not expected to win),  not even for a final.

From what I understand from people I have spoken to Wolly, his career was all but finished in Australia for indiscretions he commited or was accused to have committed, but that is not the point in relevance to the discussions.

He’s committed and eligible , and if he’s helping us win games and trophies I couldn’t give two flying figs about owt else . If he plays halves with Austin and we win I doubly couldn’t care . That’s modern sport and it’s about winning . Holier than thou often hypocritical rubbish gets spouted on this subject at times . All sports I watch have this element . Jofra Archer has barely been here five minutes and I love watching the guy . You can have roots somewhere else and still give everything - and often they try harder 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s committed and eligible , and if he’s helping us win games and trophies I couldn’t give two flying figs about owt else . If he plays halves with Austin and we win I doubly couldn’t care . That’s modern sport and it’s about winning . Holier than thou often hypocritical rubbish gets spouted on this subject at times . All sports I watch have this element . Jofra Archer has barely been here five minutes and I love watching the guy . You can have roots somewhere else and still give everything - and often they try harder 

I agree,he certainly seems to have turned his life around both on and off the pitch,seems to involve himself in the community and seems a humble,gracious young man who looks to be enjoying his life over here,so who are we to question his motives for putting his hand up to play for GB/England,so to label him a mercenary is rediculous.

7 hours ago, DiH68 said:

my son is the same with is irish roots (mother) we go back to belfast every so often to see the family over there but neither my wife or I put pressure on him to support either country. He supports England in football and Ireland in Rugby Union, England in RL but only becuase Ireland dont really play and arent on TV.. If he were a pro at any sport I would tell him to keep his options open.. if he was good enough play for the better team, if not go for the other and play international sport. He would be made up and committed to either because he is truly Half England Half Irish... 

I can easily see, just through my son, how you can have strong allegiances to 2 players and be happy to switch (an ability that should STOP once you have played for ANY international side (tier 1, tier 2 rubbish should end on this))

Equally i can understand residency. If you move somewhere and it makes you feel like you are "Home". you make loads of local mates etc etc you are representing them and your new home.. what i dont like are those who move over with the express intention of qualifying through residency and playing no matter what.

14 hours ago, damp squib said:

But that came from you imparting your Welsh culture to them, not their bloodline.

If you hadn't done that they would still have "Welsh blood" but no connection to Welsh culture. Certainly less of a connection than someone living in Wales for years with no "Welsh blood".

yeah but living in Wales makes you less likely actually want to play for Wales doesnt it? :kolobok_ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

... who are we to question his motives for putting his hand up to play for GB/England,so to label him a mercenary is rediculous.

Well, GB I can understand but Wikipedia confirms he is from New South Wales.

?

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

To be fair, Harry:

Hastings seems a good bloke.  He came over here to resurrect his career and was loyal to Salford. He now moves to Wigan on a good contract.  He is a good player.  But he has an option to go back to the NRL after next season and clearly there is a good chance, if he further make his name, that he will rehabilitate himself back there. That does not make him a mercenary, as I've  said, he seems a good bloke. He looks towards his career.  Far enough. He may settle here and extend his contract, who knows.

As for the current rules... they are similar for many sports... but I do not like them. The world is made up of "countries", not corporations or industries which can just hire and fire workers that suit. A country is not just some hotchpotch, a convenient meaningless made up entity.   The furthest "heritage" should go is parents.

I do not complain if we take advantage of it, it's the rules for everyone. I do not see it changing now.  Recently we had an Irishman and a New Zealander play fot "England" in the Cricket World Cup, and I cheered them on.    But it (the grandparent rule) is a bad rule, a poor rule, and undermines the concept of International sport.

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Hastings seems a good bloke.  He came over here to resurrect his career and was loyal to Salford. He now moves to Wigan on a good contract.  He is a good player.  But he has an option to go back to the NRL after next season and clearly there is a good chance, if he further make his name, that he will rehabilitate himself back there. That does not make him a mercenary, as I've  said, he seems a good bloke. He looks towards his career.  Far enough. He may settle here and extend his contract, who knows.

As for the current rules... they are similar for many sports... but I do not like them. The world is made up of "countries", not corporations or industries which can just hire and fire workers that suit. A country is not just some hotchpotch, a convenient meaningless made up entity.   The furthest "heritage" should go is parents.

I do not complain if we take advantage of it, it's the rules for everyone. I do not see it changing now.  Recently we had an Irishman and a New Zealander play fot "England" in the Cricket World Cup, and I cheered them on.    But it (the grandparent rule) is a bad rule, a poor rule, and undermines the concept of International sport.

It seems at long last we have found some common ground which we agree on Rupert, as I said what do the guy's who could be left out for the inclusion of these blokes feel like, the 3 foreigners in question have been here for one and a half, one and another one season, collectively three and a half seasons between them, not good enough for selection for their own country, so they sell their souls.

And as for all those who applaud this move, I wouldn't like them warching out for me in a fracas they'd have scarpered in no time, running around looking for a back-up, no faith in our own abilities.

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It seems at long last we have found some common ground which we agree on Rupert, as I said what do the guy's who could be left out for the inclusion of these blokes feel like, the 3 foreigners in question have been here for one and a half, one and another one season, collectively three and a half seasons between them, not good enough for selection for their own country, so they sell their souls.

And as for all those who applaud this move, I wouldn't like them warching out for me in a fracas they'd have scarpered in no time, running around looking for a back-up, no faith in our own abilities.

but if the big lad walks up while you are in a fracas and getting beaten and says "do you want a hand" youd just say.. nah your alright we'll fight on even if we are going to lose

14 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

How do we know that a similar osmosis effect didn't apply in Jackson Hastings' home?

I have distant cousins in Australia ... my grandfather's brother emigrated to Perth straight after World War One. The families have been re-connected since the 1990's. I have a fortysomething cousin Shane (Cliche#1) who is a mad keen Manchester United fan (cliche #2).

?

Anyway, this is my younger granddaughter with Rhys Williams  in 2013.

Alannah and Rhys 100_1466 - cropped (3).jpg

Ha ha... Rhys looks so different now..... Like a fat Mo Salah

Rhys_Williams_011.jpg

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

How? GB is not a recognised nation with the RLIF unless I have missed something?

There,s some kind of exempition for minor nations in World Cups ... hence Tyson Frizzell has played for Wales and Australia ... but I wouldn't have thought that GB or England count as a minor nation.

20 minutes ago, RP London said:

but if the big lad walks up while you are in a fracas and getting beaten and says "do you want a hand" youd just say.. nah your alright we'll fight on even if we are going to lose

I think you know what I was getting at RP, I was singling out those who have no confidence in the ability of our own.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think you know what I was getting at RP, I was singling out those who have no confidence in the ability of our own.

no i think your analogy was daft TBH.. people have confidence in our own ability, its also no bad thing to have more better players if they want to play and are eligible to do so.. thats common sense and pragmatism.

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ha ha... Rhys looks so different now..... Like a fat Mo Salah

My grandaughter looks a bit different now different now ... she's seventeen and has been diverted from the great game by dance classes every weekend

31 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

My grandaughter looks a bit different now different now ... she's seventeen and has been diverted from the great game by dance classes every weekend

Oh dear.... My little ones do dancing and rugby.... Good balance of daintiness then toughness....hopefully they will keep it up! 

Archived