Sign in to follow this  
philipw

18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

42 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

There is nothing xenophobic about it.  It's an Australian team of players with some lebanese heritage.  

I have nothing personally against anyone that is Lebanese.  But having a team of Australian based players representing Lebanon makes it a bit of a joke.

I think the same thing in other sport, baseball does similar ###### in the US with the World Baseball Classic when the field team "Italy" and it's more like Team Brooklyn Italians.

It's a gimick that undermines the integrity of the competition.  You end up with proper national associations like France losing to a bunch of Aussies that weren't good enough to rep the Kangaroos so they chose Plan B instead.

Dont worry about it.

Things are done differently outside Canada.

That's how this works, right?

• Haha 1

Knew we could rely on Wales!!!

That England team looked far better with a spine of Widdopp, Austin, Tomkins and Clark. Played like a 9s team versus France.

45 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

There is nothing xenophobic about it.  It's an Australian team of players with some lebanese heritage.  

I have nothing personally against anyone that is Lebanese.  But having a team of Australian based players representing Lebanon makes it a bit of a joke.

I think the same thing in other sport, baseball does similar ###### in the US with the World Baseball Classic when the field team "Italy" and it's more like Team Brooklyn Italians.

It's a gimick that undermines the integrity of the competition.  You end up with proper national associations like France losing to a bunch of Aussies that weren't good enough to rep the Kangaroos so they chose Plan B instead.

There are 56,000 Lebanese born people in Sydney and over 200,000 in Australia that identify as Lebanese.

What language do you think these people speak at home? They likely have an extended network of Lebanese friends and family. Especially in a big city.

I know my wife grew up in a small town of 5,000 people, in Australia, speaking Spanish. The only people she knew outside of school also spoke Spanish. 

It's much more nuanced than "he was born/he grew up in X, so he can't represent Y".

Don't push your ideology onto how people should identify. 

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Copa said:

It’s only a joke if Lebanese people think it’s a joke.

Most of the Tongan and Samoan team have probably never lived in Tonga or Samoa but those nations strongly identify with those teams.

Trust me, 99.9% of people in Lebanon don't know what Rugby is.  

My ex-wife is Lebanese 😄

It's a gimmick, but if the Aussies and NRL are happy, then who cares right?

Edited by CanadianRugger

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

So, it turns out the two 17-year-olds didn't play against England, only against France. Lebanon has lost the points for that game.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

So they lose the points from the France game but they would have been allowed to keep them if it was England? 

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

It would depend on whether they used the illegal players. They didn't lose the points for the England game because they didn't use any illegal players in that game.

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I know that but what I mean is, when it was thought the players were used in the England game they decided not to penalise Lebanon but it has seemingly been looked at again and they've found it was france the players were used against, not England, so then they do decide to penalise Lebanon after all.

I'm wondering if the original decision in terms of the England game was challenged and they've looked into all 3 Lebanese games and realised they'd made a mistake with the France game. 

Get a room you two.

Or maybe a wooden hut on a farm.

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

3 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Get a room you two.

Or maybe a wooden hut on a farm.

Where do you think I live now?

16 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Trust me, 99.9% of people in Lebanon don't know what Rugby is.  

My ex-wife is Lebanese 😄

It's a gimmick, but if the Aussies and NRL are happy, then who cares right?

Possibly but all the people who play RL in Lebanon know what it is.   http://www.lebanonrl.com/LRLF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I wish they wouldn't interview the Aussie accented French/English players on Fox! 

Baiteri is the only Aussie in the French team isn't he?

1 minute ago, Farmduck said:

Baiteri is the only Aussie in the French team isn't he?

He was born in Paris and played junior RL in Toulouse until his dad went home to Australia. He's 100% legitimately French.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear me.

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...