Teams you want to see promoted

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not one nominee for Leigh, could I remind people that in the 2017 SL season they averaged 6,500 with very little travelling fans - no Railway Station, remember - save for Saints who were North of 2,000.

6,500 average a figure that a lot of clubs could not get, even some present SL clubs would be ecstatic with that number.

Then there are the travelling fans Leigh takes to away games, I am useually one of those but I do not go to other grounds when Leigh are not playing, perhaps some supporters from other clubs would like to give an honest assessment in comparing Leigh's away support with other clubs travelling support to their grounds, please.

Leigh would maintain the status quo in SL but would not add extra value. 

I enjoyed Leigh away it's a tidy stadium.

On your point with away fans... thus is the small mindedness that is RL and an attitude led by the greedy club chairmen.

Each club should be selling out without away fans. In football there are rules in place to dictate a minimum number of away fans as clubs have waiting lists for ST holders

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Leigh would maintain the status quo in SL but would not add extra value. 

I enjoyed Leigh away it's a tidy stadium.

On your point with away fans... thus is the small mindedness that is RL and an attitude led by the greedy club chairmen.

Each club should be selling out without away fans. In football there are rules in place to dictate a minimum number of away fans as clubs have waiting lists for ST holders

Hi Yipyee, thanks for your answer, but just for my fruition leaving aside your musings of 'Greedy Chairmen' how in your opinion do Leigh sit in the number of travelling fans compared to other clubs? Please.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not one nominee for Leigh, could I remind people that in the 2017 SL season they averaged 6,500 with very little travelling fans coming to the LSV - no Railway Station, remember - save for Saints who were North of 2,000.

6,500 average a figure that a lot of clubs could not get, even some present SL clubs would be ecstatic with that number.

Then there are the travelling fans Leigh takes to away games, I am useually one of those travellers but I do not go to other grounds when Leigh are not playing, perhaps some supporters from other clubs would like to give an honest assessment in comparing Leigh's away support with other clubs travelling support to their grounds, please.

Come on Harry , you know we aren't fashionable ? ?

On 17/11/2019 at 11:36, AB Knight said:

New stadium: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&time_continue=72&v=VIX_uC4izEM

Crowds up by 259% under the current owners (and might I add, not solely off the back of free/cheap tickets) all while being the little brother at a dilapidated stadium.

Highest placed English team outside of SL in 2019 - just 2 years on from getting beat by Oxford and nearly going out of business.

York now have a few presence in the heart of one of the most visited cities in the UK outside of London. Most clubs only have a shop in their ground and that’s it, York have opened a shop right in the centre = more exposure.

Plenty of youngsters at games too. This for me is the biggie, as outside of SL at most grounds I’ve been to there haven’t been many kids at games. You go to grounds like Batley (a club I really rate and respect) and there’s maybe 10-20 kids....where are the future supporters coming from? At York I estimate 1 in 5 are under 16.

Unlike some Chairmen he hasn’t come in all billy big balls releasing controversial statements and splashing the cash. York had the 2nd lowest Championship budget in 2019 and he seems very modest.

Still a long way to go, but so far so good ?

I think you will find it was Featherstone that finished the 2019 season as the highest placed English team.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

Any team that is going to bring zero support to the UK, lets shoe horn anther 3 or 4 in then in a couple if years time we can all pack in as there will be no money and no players in the game.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

21 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Look at the league table York finished third above Featherstone, end of.

true but in RL sadly the league table  means diddly squat it's all about reaching and/or winning the grand final that measures success 

7 hours ago, lingard said:

Any team that is going to bring zero support to the UK, lets shoe horn anther 3 or 4 in then in a couple if years time we can all pack in as there will be no money and no players in the game.

It's got nothing to do with away fans this is a bizarre myth that RL fans are fixated with.

When a potential bigger new club is on  the horizon chairmen get scared and spread nonsense like this so fans fear expansion!

It's about who can add and who takes away. Any team that doesn't run to SC max and only survives off central funding and away fans takes away. Any club that doesn't produce their own players takes away.

If the league had 12 teams who all added then the product would be better the players in the game would be more in number and the SC could increase allowing SL to be competitive with salarys with the NRL and union.

But hey ho let's just use away fans as our only KPI!!

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Yipyee, thanks for your answer, but just for my fruition leaving aside your musings of 'Greedy Chairmen' how in your opinion do Leigh sit in the number of travelling fans compared to other clubs? Please.

Leigh are a good club with good supporters. 

However if we are to challenge other sports we need to continually grow. 

The SL should have its top clubs with 20-40k target averages 

The championship 10-20k and so on down the pyramid

The only way to achieve this is for a national and international league.

We should be looking to expand after years of consolidation.

7 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Look at the league table York finished third above Featherstone, end of.

The team that wins the GF is the top placed team, runners up are second that is the structure. It won't change just because you don't agree with it

On 23/11/2019 at 12:07, meast said:

Again, I would love to see a team from Cumbria step up and challenge for the top, I remember when Workington had their successful spell in the mid 90's they had a big support from an area steeped in RL history, took big,noisy,travelling support with them, have some very good amateur clubs and produce some very good players, Whitehaven, Barrow and Carlisle also had big crowds when having some relative success, Whitehaven-Workington derbies used to attract massive crowds of 4,000 upwards.

Sadly, at the moment there isn't a club in Cumbria that are anywhere near stepping up, the derbies are played in front of 1,000 diehards, the 3 Cumbrian clubs between them attract around 2,000 fans, none of the grounds are fit for SL, although I personally would have no problem with either 3 of the grounds, or Brunton Park.

And as far as I'm aware there are no plans for a merged or "manufactured" Cumbrian club or that there would even be any support for it from fans of the 3 clubs.

Barrow average 1300+ so tuther 2 must bring it over 2000.A bit of success soon bumps up attendances.craven park certainly aint up to sl standards but it is i.m.o. the best ground to watch rugby from a fans perspective.Bold statement but im sticking to it.

On 23/11/2019 at 22:55, yipyee said:

I would combine all of Cumbria not just the 2 jam eater clubs.

This however would never happen as the home support would not travel to watch the home team. Shame really.

Also half of Cumbria play the other code. As this is the case I don't think it can be considered a 'heartland' 

Dunno wher you got that last statement from .I would say most towns in yorks and lancs have a union team of some sort .Cumbria  deffo heartland,hence 3 counties championship at all levels.Admittedly not played at senior level for years.where are you from yip yee?

On 28/11/2019 at 15:45, the mutt said:

Dunno wher you got that last statement from .I would say most towns in yorks and lancs have a union team of some sort .Cumbria  deffo heartland,hence 3 counties championship at all levels.Admittedly not played at senior level for years.where are you from 

It depends what you class as heartland what criteria?

Sonny Bill Williams might put more 'home' fans on the gate than regular home fans + away fans from a number of SL clubs.

Fans will go to home games when the interest level is higher. It is why in a lot of sports, the first league game is one of the highest attended of the season.

On 24/11/2019 at 08:13, Harry Stottle said:

Not one nominee for Leigh, could I remind people that in the 2017 SL season they averaged 6,500 with very little travelling fans coming to the LSV - no Railway Station, remember - save for Saints who were North of 2,000.

Then there are the travelling fans Leigh takes to away games, I am useually one of those travellers but I do not go to other grounds when Leigh are not playing, perhaps some supporters from other clubs would like to give an honest assessment in comparing Leigh's away support with other clubs travelling support to their grounds, please.

The last 2 times Leigh have visited Huddersfield, their away support, barring Catalans and London have been the 2 lowest, so in my opinion, Leigh's travelling support was the poorest from all the heartland clubs.

Also bearing in mind that a 6,500 average, whilst being very good is not really representative of the fanbase, a lot of that support was based on a winning team, a moneyman throwing money at it, a lot of bluster and a lot of bandwagoners, due to the winning etc.

I would say Leigh's real hardcore fanbase is around 2,500, that's the kind of figures they would post if they weren't winning every week, possibly, 4,500 if they were a middling super league club?

The amount of times we see this fallacy of away fans from clubs that are yet to be promoted is ridiculous. I remember Hull KR fans lauding how many thousands they will take to away grounds week in, week out when they got into SL. And for a few rounds they did. Now, on a Friday night in Warrington there may be a couple of hundred die hards, as there is from Huddersfield or Wakefield. Then you have to subtract the number of home fans who are giving this game the swerve because it is a less attractive fixture (or even a repeat/loop fixture). Away fans then become some kind of comfort cushion to soften the blow of lethargy at your own club.

Having 29 fixtures with 6 loop fixtures is absolutely nuts. So the question of who do you want promoted is simply a question of who can potentially give a quick fix sticky plaster to SL for a few weeks. York or Toulouse probably win that as there is a trip to a new town/stadium or new destination to play around with. In York's case you have the novelty of a fan base that will take a few months to dwindle down to 200 away fans at Warrington on the September Friday night loop fixture.

In the end by October you have the same old ####, the same loop fixtures and the same old who do you want promoted to give a new sticky plaster to the first few weeks of SL next year.

1 hour ago, POR said:

and york  came 4th  in a cup competition at the end of the season

This is a bit hard on York TBH. If York had finished as leaders who would have begrudged them saying they were the highest placed Championship club in 2019? We all know the play offs etc. both have valid points but the club is coming from nowhere and trying to create a feelgood vibe. 

Archived