Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Hull FC heading for membership record

Recommended Posts

Hull FC’s impressive off-field work continues after they passed this weekend’s membership discount deadline with more than 8,000 members signed up It’s the most the...

View the full article

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope they have more consistency on the pitch. Time for excuses is well gone. Simply not acceptable for a professional team to regularly concede 40 +.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cookey said:

Hope they have more consistency on the pitch. Time for excuses is well gone. Simply not acceptable for a professional team to regularly concede 40 +.

And the rest. ☹️


         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news and hopefully it hasn't been achieved by 'noisy' marketing.

  • Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’ve only ever been to Hull to watch Norwich away so have no idea, but in the city which is the bigger sport - RL or football?

Depends who you talk to.

Both sets of fans will insist their's is the bigger sport. Rugby league is certainly more ingrained in the culture and history of the city and there's nothing that identifies the people more than which rugby team they support. The football team was never a big team until the last 10-15 years though so doesn't have quite as much presence. 

In terms of pure numbers, there are more rugby fans when you think 11,000 or so go to FC and 7,000 go to KR that is 18,000 fans regularly attending rugby in the city. Recently the football team has been recording its lowest ever attendances at the kcom despite being a Premier league yoyo team but a lot of this is to do with the owners who the football fans hate. I've talked to football fans who insist that if the club was sold the attendances would double again overnight. I've been to a couple of football games in the last couple of years and they announce the attendance at about 12,000 but I go to rugby there when there is about that number and I can tell you the football attendance was more like 8-9,000 so only 1/3rd full for championship football. You can't really judge it on pure numbers though given the number of protesting football fans who would be going if there wasn't all the problems. 

I would say rugby league is the bigger sport because it has a larger presence in the city and certainly the prouder and more loyal fans. If you walk through Hull you will see more rugby shirts than football shirts. As I say, the rugby fans identify themselves by the team they support. You don't really get that feeling from the football fans. 

I've always wondered if it would be different if there had only ever been one rugby team. Obviously people are very passionate about the rugby because of the rivalry and that will have drawn so many people into the sport over the years and is certainly why there is so much pride for the team we support. Perhaps if there had only been one team then the football team might have had more presence down the years. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks HG! I love Derby rivalries and have often said that on this forum when some people dismiss HRK as unnecessary, the Hull Derby is one of my favourite games to watch on tv I’d love to go to one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've always wondered if it would be different if there had only ever been one rugby team. 

Not sure where you're coming from here...

  • Haha 1

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Thanks HG! I love Derby rivalries and have often said that on this forum when some people dismiss HRK as unnecessary, the Hull Derby is one of my favourite games to watch on tv I’d love to go to one. 

You see...you've dismissed them by not even remembering the order of their initials!

  • Haha 2

         SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

         SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

         SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

 

                                                                      All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Not sure where you're coming from here...

What I mean is if there had only ever been one rugby team in Hull would people have been as passionate about the sport and would the football team have had more fans? The fact that there are two teams and such a great rivalry has brought a heck of a lot of exposure to the game in hull. The great tribal atmosphere of the clubs wouldn't exist to anywhere near the same extent if there was only one club and there obviously wouldn't be the split in the city which defines it. With less fans going to rugby over the years, would the football club have got more fans and perhaps been more successful through its history and thus been the dominant sport?

How many cities in England have one football and one rugby team and have the rugby team as the more dominant? I would say none but Hull, with two top division rugby teams, rugby league is the more dominant sport. Actually thinking about it, is Hull the only city apart from London in Britain with two top division rugby sides? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

 

How many cities in England have one football and one rugby team and have the rugby team as the more dominant? I would say none but Hull, with two top division rugby teams, rugby league is the more dominant sport. Actually thinking about it, is Hull the only city apart from London in Britain with two top division rugby sides? 

The only towns I can think of where RL definitely dominates football are St Helens, Leigh and Warrington. Wigan I’m not sure now and places like Wakefield and Widnes also not sure, they may have more Leeds and Liverpool/Everton fans. 

Union has a few, Gloucester, Worcester, Bath but not that many either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

The only towns I can think of where RL definitely dominates football are St Helens, Leigh and Warrington. Wigan I’m not sure now and places like Wakefield and Widnes also not sure, they may have more Leeds and Liverpool/Everton fans. 

Union has a few, Gloucester, Worcester, Bath but not that many either. 

And none of those places apart from Wigan have big, professional football teams. I did forget about Wigan actually I must admit. Okay, Wigan and Hull are probably the only places where there are professional teams in both sports and rugby is the dominant, at least I get the impression it is in Wigan. Can any Wigan fans confirm this? 

You see, you've got Newcastle, Leeds, Huddersfield, Leicester, Bristol, London all with pro teams in both football and a rugby code but I would say football is dominant. Possibly Coventry, not really sure what levels of support teams have there. In a country where football is a religion I think we should be proud that rugby league has managed to set such deep roots in some places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

And none of those places apart from Wigan have big, professional football teams. I did forget about Wigan actually I must admit. Okay, Wigan and Hull are probably the only places where there are professional teams in both sports and rugby is the dominant, at least I get the impression it is in Wigan. Can any Wigan fans confirm this? 

You see, you've got Newcastle, Leeds, Huddersfield, Leicester, Bristol, London all with pro teams in both football and a rugby code but I would say football is dominant. Possibly Coventry, not really sure what levels of support teams have there. In a country where football is a religion I think we should be proud that rugby league has managed to set such deep roots in some places. 

Agreed but in St Helens and Warrington RL has kept football out completely, which is surely better than competing with it? Wigan Athletic were non league until the late 70s, they wouldn’t have been considered a competitor to Wigan RL until this century. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football is bigger everywhere, even in these towns. More football shirts, more watch it on Tele, more play. You only need to pop in the pub when a Premier League game it England game is on to see the football machine, or see the number of kids that know about football in primary schools.

Football is huge. Even in Hull, Wigan, St Helens, etc. 

  • Like 3

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed but in St Helens and Warrington RL has kept football out completely, which is surely better than competing with it? Wigan Athletic were non league until the late 70s, they wouldn’t have been considered a competitor to Wigan RL until this century. 

That is a good point about keeping football out completely though I wonder if that is partly due to St Helens and Warrington's proximity to Liverpool? I remember going to Chester once and seeing a massive Liverpool fc shop there which gives an idea of the reach of those clubs. 

Wigan and Hull in terms of football are essentially the same, both low level teams until just the last 10-15 years which obviously gave RL a huge headstart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Depends who you talk to.

Both sets of fans will insist their's is the bigger sport. Rugby league is certainly more ingrained in the culture and history of the city and there's nothing that identifies the people more than which rugby team they support. The football team was never a big team until the last 10-15 years though so doesn't have quite as much presence. 

In terms of pure numbers, there are more rugby fans when you think 11,000 or so go to FC and 7,000 go to KR that is 18,000 fans regularly attending rugby in the city. Recently the football team has been recording its lowest ever attendances at the kcom despite being a Premier league yoyo team but a lot of this is to do with the owners who the football fans hate. I've talked to football fans who insist that if the club was sold the attendances would double again overnight. I've been to a couple of football games in the last couple of years and they announce the attendance at about 12,000 but I go to rugby there when there is about that number and I can tell you the football attendance was more like 8-9,000 so only 1/3rd full for championship football. You can't really judge it on pure numbers though given the number of protesting football fans who would be going if there wasn't all the problems. 

I would say rugby league is the bigger sport because it has a larger presence in the city and certainly the prouder and more loyal fans. If you walk through Hull you will see more rugby shirts than football shirts. As I say, the rugby fans identify themselves by the team they support. You don't really get that feeling from the football fans. 

I've always wondered if it would be different if there had only ever been one rugby team. Obviously people are very passionate about the rugby because of the rivalry and that will have drawn so many people into the sport over the years and is certainly why there is so much pride for the team we support. Perhaps if there had only been one team then the football team might have had more presence down the years. 

that derby game is something special.  spent a night or two in hull i liked it.

i wouldve thought if it was one team the combined crowds wouldve been closer to 20k.  interesting you think the rivalry helped grow rugby league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aj1908 said:

that derby game is something special.  spent a night or two in hull i liked it.

i wouldve thought if it was one team the combined crowds wouldve been closer to 20k.  interesting you think the rivalry helped grow rugby league.

 

I think we will see an increase in schools involvement now the joint academy has reverted back to the individual clubs.  

The City town centre, especially the old town, is a vibrant place to be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think we will see an increase in schools involvement now the joint academy has reverted back to the individual clubs.  

The City town centre, especially the old town, is a vibrant place to be.

 

the bit where you cross that river was a bit sketchy lol.  there was a guy walking around with a bleeding hand like he had hit someone calmly walking down the street who sad hello lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Football is bigger everywhere, even in these towns. More football shirts, more watch it on Tele, more play. You only need to pop in the pub when a Premier League game it England game is on to see the football machine, or see the number of kids that know about football in primary schools.

Football is huge. Even in Hull, Wigan, St Helens, etc. 

This is right. Even in the biggest of rugby towns, football is king. 

Sure Warrington may not have a top football team, but pretty much everyone in town supports a team like Man Utd/City, Liverpool, Everton, or one of the smaller local teams. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agreed but in St Helens and Warrington RL has kept football out completely, which is surely better than competing with it?

What makes you think football has been kept out of the places?

The amount of Everton/Liverpool/Man Utd/Man City fans in those areas will be huge.

Just because there isn't a local football team doesn't mean there aren't football fans. I reckon there'll be more regular football fans than rugby league fans in those towns, whether that's local non-league or the a Premier League. Football is king.


Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...