Jump to content
John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, ojx said:

Leigh! It'll just take a couple of losses for Derek to pull the plug again. He did try to buy success, but wasn't rich enough.

Well he or any other Championship Chairman don't need any money do they, come the last 4 weeks of the season sign in some ringers on "amatuer trialist status" if a guy who only a couple of years ago who won the Lance Todd trophy has to prove that he can hack it in this game at SL level, Championship clubs will have no problem at all will they.

It is a total sham, and as someone has already pointed out that SL are not overly enamoured with Toronto, this will certainly not help them in the popularity stakes will it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derwent said:

Probably sell them to Rochdale for £1 and get them back on DR when required. Spirit of the cap and all that......

The players if they could be sold for £1 still require paying Rochdale can't afford to pay them, are said player's going to go anywhere for less than they are contracted to Toronto for? They may as well sit at home on the couch and get payed for doing nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well he or any other Championship Chairman don't need any money do they, come the last 4 weeks of the season sign in some ringers on "amatuer trialist status" if a guy who only a couple of years ago who won the Lance Todd trophy has to prove that he can hack it in this game at SL level, Championship clubs will have no problem at all will they.

It is a total sham, and as someone has already pointed out that SL are not overly enamoured with Toronto, this will certainly not help them in the popularity stakes will it?

I sort of get the whole point of - people should know what Gigot brings, but why?

He won the Lance Todd, but he is not contracted to anyone for this year, you have to imagine there is a reason behind that - It seems logical to test and see if he would "fit in" with the rest of the playing squad. He's well known to be quite disruptive at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Click said:

I sort of get the whole point of - people should know what Gigot brings, but why?

He won the Lance Todd, but he is not contracted to anyone for this year, you have to imagine there is a reason behind that - It seems logical to test and see if he would "fit in" with the rest of the playing squad. He's well known to be quite disruptive at times.

male genitals , 4 weeks won't prove that one way or another , and there would be no need to play to achieve that , and you know it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bert1 said:

I’d give Toronto the extra cap equivalent of the sky money they didn’t take. 

Why though? What is the rationale for that?

Those numbers are not linked in the slightest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is quite clear what is happening here. He is playing for free (as a trialist, the only way he can do this) while they try and sort out cap allowance for him. 

We don't need to pretend that he really on any kind of trial.

I wonder if we won't see Chase Stanley back, as that situation is an odd one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Parky's in charge at SL

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," said Elstone. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

It's not relegation for TWP that concerns me here it's Elstone's attitude and opinion, Parky 101 that is, straight out of the we don't really want it, we don't mind who we put off and we don't care how it looks,  anyway my bread's buttered by SL Chairmen at the end of the day.

They shouldn't have allowed TWP in then, it gave the wrong impression from the get go.

  • Like 1

RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is quite clear what is happening here. He is playing for free (as a trialist, the only way he can do this) while they try and sort out cap allowance for him. 

We don't need to pretend that he really on any kind of trial.

I wonder if we won't see Chase Stanley back, as that situation is an odd one.

A club is sniffing around O'Brien as well apparently. When he signed from Salford they doubled his wages so someone signing him should make room for Gigot. Either O'Brien will need to take a pay cut or someone will need to pay him over £100k though!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The players if they could be sold for £1 still require paying Rochdale can't afford to pay them, are said player's going to go anywhere for less than they are contracted to Toronto for? They may as well sit at home on the couch and get payed for doing nothing.

I'm sure a rich businessman somewhere has ways to channel money into Rochdale via sponsorship etc


I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I see Parky's in charge at SL

"I'm not minded that they should be exempt," said Elstone. "I know that makes it very hard for them.

"For me, there are two types of expansion. There is the strategic, planned, structured, logical expansion into an area that has got some heritage versus one that is less structured, less stable and arguably more spurious. I've been very consistent on that.

It's not relegation for TWP that concerns me here it's Elstone's attitude and opinion, Parky 101 that is, straight out of the we don't really want it, we don't mind who we put off and we don't care how it looks,  anyway my bread's buttered by SL Chairmen at the end of the day.

They shouldn't have allowed TWP in then, it gave the wrong impression from the get go.

TWP knew what they were getting into Oxy.  P&R, so Elstone is really giving us nothing other than stating what exists now.

The 2nd lot is a mixed up mess imo.  Newcastle seem to building their own heritage, Coventry haven’t much, neither have Nottingham.  All 3 fall outside Elstones template for expansion.

Then we can reflect on expansion in ‘heritage’ areas.  North & West Wales aren’t exactly ripping it up, London back on the flat line.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LR23 said:

A club is sniffing around O'Brien as well apparently. When he signed from Salford they doubled his wages so someone signing him should make room for Gigot. Either O'Brien will need to take a pay cut or someone will need to pay him over £100k though!

Thanks for this info. It would make sense for him to be moved on if they are paying Gigot market rate.  O'Brien may take a moderate pay cut for a longer contract however they are not easy to find in a Sport as brutal as RL for a player who is around 30 years old.  He's a good player is O'Brien. Bound to be quite a few takers for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

so you want to go back tot eh days of Wigan in the 80's and 90's

Are Wigan the only team that can spend more than they are currently?

Besides it's not like we've had a huge amount more winners since the salary cap has been in use.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

TWP knew what they were getting into Oxy.  P&R, so Elstone is really giving us nothing other than stating what exists now.

The 2nd lot is a mixed up mess imo.  Newcastle seem to building their own heritage, Coventry haven’t much, neither have Nottingham.  All 3 fall outside Elstones template for expansion.

Then we can reflect on expansion in ‘heritage’ areas.  North & West Wales aren’t exactly ripping it up, London back on the flat line.  

 

Now LD I said it's not about relegation for TWP that's the rules of the competition the same as when they were promoted.

It's what Elstone said around that and his attitude was retraction and that's fine if he was more honest about it.

The heritage nonsense was icing on the cake and as you point out this model essentially has the Dragons as eveidence which isn't  expansion it's redirection, or growth for people who land on the side what's not possible on almost every occasion. I just didn't think, or maybe I just hoped, Elstone had a bit more about him than sounding like an RFL clone.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 3

RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, To Be Confirmed said:

so you want to go back tot eh days of Wigan in the 80's and 90's

Not at all, I want the whole game to progress, not be held back by the weakest as is happening now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Now LD I said it's not about relegation for TWP that's the rules of the competition the same as when they were promoted.

It's what Elstone said around that and his attitude was retraction and that's fine if he was more honest about it.

The heritage nonsense was icing on the cake and as you point out this model essentially has the Dragons as eveidence which isn't  expansion it's redirection, or growth for people who land on the side what's not possible on almost every occasion. I just didn't think, or maybe I just hoped, Elstone had a bit more about him than sounding like an RFL clone.

Really? You're more niaive that ever i expected oxy lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robin Evans said:

Really? You're more niaive that ever i expected oxy lad

I know it's TGG's fault, it brings out the innocent dreamer in me! Enjoy the 50 seconds it lasts Robyn or at least look on the What are you listening to thread, to find it again!


RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone who has been to Toronto NOT enjoyed the experience? 

I thought it was fabulous. I love france and toulouse being in our league is just heaven for me. 

But Toronto was fabulous. It smells of ganja like and its a bit hippy in place which is no bad thing. A great transport infrastructure. A nice stadium if the weather holds. Get a good range of beers. Nice restos and great craic.

Id love to go and watch fev in canada again though i may have to accept that it might be in the championship...

If fev were in SL id love this trip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Thanks for this info. It would make sense for him to be moved on if they are paying Gigot market rate.  O'Brien may take a moderate pay cut for a longer contract however they are not easy to find in a Sport as brutal as RL for a player who is around 30 years old.  He's a good player is O'Brien. Bound to be quite a few takers for him. 

Yes a decent player on his day but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone looking for a fullback so not sure how accurate the information is? It was from LoveRugbyLeague.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

You can't have an odd number of teams and play an odd number of games , work it out ?

A 13 team Super League means a 24 game home-and-away schedule. Magic Weekend makes 25 games. To keep the season the same number of weeks with a bye week added only have 3 loop fixtures instead of 4. Or extend the season by another week if you want 4.

I think that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

A 13 team Super League means a 24 game home-and-away schedule. Magic Weekend makes 25 games. To keep the season the same number of weeks with a bye week added only have 3 loop fixtures instead of 4. Or extend the season by another week if you want 4.

I think that works.

So who has the bye week at Magic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The heritage nonsense was icing on the cake and as you point out this model essentially has the Dragons as eveidence which isn't  expansion it's redirection

Would Toulouse in Super League be expansionary in your book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...