The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

You’re happy with RL being a small time regional game. I’m not. 

I'm not in charge of RL , plenty of stuff in RL I'm not happy with , if I had been in charge we would have had more semi pro RL clubs in the UK 

I'm not in charge of the club I support , for a while I was part owner but soon realised others wanted different things to me , and they had more money to burn than me , so plenty I'm not happy with how my club operates , but I still support my club 

Now if we have a situation where my club is denied access to improve itself by moving up to SL via on field results , then my support for club and definitely the sport might change , it's a conundrum , and nobody has provided me with an answer yet 

• Replies 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, POR said:

NO he's cup tied for FEV's match against Barrow saturday so FEV have agreed to allow loanee greg worthington return to  TWP for fridays game  and yes he will then return to FEV on Monday but if FEV had been playing a league match  this weekend he would have stayed at FEV

I'd love to know how he's 'cup tied'?

2 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Don't know. I'm not a Wigan fan. But whoever they replaced 'moved on', whether they retired or switched clubs. Do you know? But whatever happened they were replaced. 

No idea , that's why I asked 

Obviously they were replaced , but again , are Wigan stronger NOW without Bateman and Williams ? 

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No idea , that's why I asked 

Obviously they were replaced , but again , are Wigan stronger NOW without Bateman and Williams ? 

Were Wigan stronger when Williams replaced Blake Green? Clubs go through transition. It’s all hypothetical, were Wigan stronger before Bateman  and Williams ?? Will they be stronger in a couple of years with Harry Smith and Jake Shorrocks ? Who knows how they will develop? They could become twice the players that Bateman and Williams were for Wigan.

7 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Were Wigan stronger when Williams replaced Blake Green? Clubs go through transition. It’s all hypothetical, were Wigan stronger before Bateman  and Williams ?? Will they be stronger in a couple of years with Harry Smith and Jake Shorrocks ? Who knows how they will develop? They could become twice the players that Bateman and Williams were for Wigan.

Blake Green ? , So he went back home ? 

We can speculate on individual changes for hours , but ultimately losing say 20 players to Toronto is doable , losing another 30/40 would start to bite into the player pool IMO

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Blake Green ? , So he went back home ? 

We can speculate on individual changes for hours , but ultimately losing say 20 players to Toronto is doable , losing another 30/40 would start to bite into the player pool IMO

In your opinion......exactly.........not in mine. You’re right, we could speculate for hours.....but not tonight. Up early tomorrow. Good night and God bless. ??

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just seen your usual emoji answer without comment, it is all about perspective, I see multiple teams being generated in NA who will not produce SL quality player's in any numbers in the next 30/40 years as being detrimental to the game over here, if nothing else the game will degenerate in terms of quality, teams will have to give way to include these new entities in the top division simply because there will not be enough player's to go round, we employ over 90 overseas player's as it is because we can't  produce enough and a good 75% of those we import are just of an average quality, many people will walk away from the game, irrespective of all the daydreamers who believe speccies will switch allegiance to the "Super Clubs" over here it just won't happen.

I could go on but I won't, that is just a portion of how I see this NA excersize being harmful, instead of grumbling with a one finger reaction, convert me, tell me how it will work, why it will be good for the whole of the game over here you myst have some thoughts on the subject, please share.

It's good for the whole game in a few ways.

First as burnleywelsh pointed out it creates additional opportunities for players to play the game professionally, as other players come in and take up the spaces they vacated at their former clubs.  More current players will stay in the game as a consequence.

Second and more important though, it's the key to stopping the decline in the player pool and then growing the pool back up again.  That will result from more boys and young men (both over here and back in the UK) being inspired to take up the game in the first place and then stick with it because it shows them that the game is a bigger deal than they'd have thought it was otherwise.

Third, as it raises the game's profile it will start to break down the stereotypes about it being small time, regional and having limited appeal, a necessary step to get more and better media coverage and more money from broadcasters and sponsors.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

It's good for the whole game in a few ways.

First as burnleywelsh pointed out it creates additional opportunities for players to play the game professionally, as other players come in and take up the spaces they vacated as their former clubs.  More current players will stay in the game as a consequence.

Second and more important though, it's the key to stopping the decline in the player pool and then growing the pool back up again.  That will result from more boys and young men (both over here and back in the UK) being inspired to take up the game in the first place and then stick with it because it shows them that the game is a bigger deal than they'd have thought it was otherwise.

Third, as it raises the game's profile it will start to break down the stereotypes about it being small time, regional and having limited appeal, a necessary step to get more and better media coverage and more money from broadcasters and sponsors.

Noble has left now...wonder who the new director of rugby operations will be.....Vickers?

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I wonder if the new challenge sought by Noble is teaming up with Eric Perez again, this time with the Ottawa club?

Wouldn't that be a wild announcement!   That one would really rock the boat!

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

Wrong. There are only so many quality players in the game. If 2/3 more clubs are introduced they will take the better players. This will have a knock on effect on all leagues including the amateur ranks. 

What narrow-minded thinking. More opportunity, more clubs to aim for = more youngsters staying in the game and making a living.

30 minutes ago, Loup said:

What narrow-minded thinking. More opportunity, more clubs to aim for = more youngsters staying in the game and making a living.

Exactly, because by providing less professional opportunity, more young player will take up the game? Crazy thinking.

I don't actually believe in Dual Registration but the Wolfpack would have made a more obvious partner for the Bulls than Hull. We have some very good youngsters who would probably jump at a few trips to Canada.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Neutral comments on him leaving before his contract is complete but I think the reality of the squad situation is involved in this decision.  

The first thing that came into my mind. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived