• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

I think people need to start using the term "restricted movement" or similar instead of "lockdown".

It's an emotive and over-melodramatic word at this moment in time. We have more than enough unnecessary panic, thank you.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

London and South East not going into lockdown, no mention of schools closing until september. Where have you got your info.from Red Rooster?

facebook obviously. The only reliable news source...

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

19 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

London and South East not going into lockdown, no mention of schools closing until september. Where have you got your info.from Red Rooster?

If those are the plans, no one seems to have told the Prime Minister.

I mean, it's fairly likely that there will be enforced restricted movements in and around London at some point, and probably other cities. But "and the south east" - what, the road between Uckfield and Upper Dicker? More likely "and Manchester and Birmingham etc etc".

And the September for schools? It would make sense to plan to that - after all 12 weeks from now, which Johnson did sort of but then not quite mention, takes us into June. Schools break in July. Will they go back for only a few weeks or will summer holiday be cancelled, or will it just be reset in September ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Couldn't stop myself chuckling when old Boris suggested that maybe should do the press conference briefing in a different way... especially as rest of country having to rethink how they work to best isolate...

complete silence... wonder if the journalist fully realise it applies to them too... especially as you see them very close at times in the studio... guess much worse behind the scenes, although they have an important role too but maybe video conf may work for them too.... and yes I see them as key workers to keep us informed...

It did for the multinational company I worked in years ago... very sophisticated equipment even down to being able to beam in holograms of persons if a one to many. Technology moved on a lot more since then as I retired over 10 years ago.

Australia has 25 million people and current produces enough food for 75 million. 

However, we’re buying at such a rapid rate that supermarkets are moving to reduced hours in order to restock and organise.

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

Australia has 25 million people and current produces enough food for 75 million. 

However, we’re buying at such a rapid rate that supermarkets are moving to reduced hours in order to restock and organise.

yep, daughter here in UK works for a large supermarket chain (finance department) and they are about to recruit large numbers of extra staff plus re-organise existing staff. e.g. she has been asked to work on the HR area dealing with sickness payroll side of things, given the huge increase in sickness/self isolation... BTW all sickness is on full pay, working assumption is every one is genuine, that is normal needs like sick notes etc are waived.

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Schools anticipated to be off until September 2020. Situation grim.Not just London but whole of South East going into lockdown.

Sounds like the South East in for a particularly hard time. With characteristic generosity, I've added Peter Tatchell, Jo Brand and June Brown to the roster of old codger eyecandy  presenters on local news bulletins.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

These days farm workers, truck drivers, aged care workers, night fillers, uber eats riders etc are considered extremely valuable...

Previously few people cared about them at all

Edited by Copa
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Copa said:

These days farm workers, truck drivers, aged care workers, night fillers, uber eats riders etc are considered extremely valuable...

Previously few people care about them at all

don't forget the girls at the massage parlours

• Haha 1

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

51 minutes ago, redjonn said:

It did for the multinational company I worked in years ago... very sophisticated equipment even down to being able to beam in holograms of persons if a one to many. Technology moved on a lot more since then as I retired over 10 years ago.

Our company is almost 100% working from home for the non-production teams. Just a couple of guys per site maintaining the IT systems. Microsoft Teams and VPN access to the office systems doing the trick.

We now have to see whether large scale WFH is viable over a  long period.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

When they still had in store bakeries if you asked the baker sin Tesco they would give you some of their live yeast in a  little bag - dont know if any of your local supermarkets still bake in-house not just finish in ovens ?

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.  We've Allinsons dried yeast for about 10 loaves, but no fishes.?

Four legs good - two legs bad

On 16/03/2020 at 18:38, Copa said:

Australian researchers have treated COVID-19 patients with a Malaria drug and an old AIDS drug with great success.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

That didn’t take long..

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/coronavirus-donald-trump-announces-antimarial-drug-will-be-made-available-to-treat-illness/news-story/534405dcf8a621e75932bf8918b35922
Donald Trump has announced that two drugs could be a “gamechanger” in treating coronavirus and will be made available “almost immediately” by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

During a briefing with the coronavirus Taskforce at the White House, the US President said the antimalarial drugs — hydroxychloroquine and Cloroquine— would soon be available for “prescribed use”.

It’s been around for a long time, so we know if things don’t go as planned, it’s not going to kill anybody,” he said today.

“It’s shown encouraging very very early results.

Edited by Copa
17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just been ' self isolating ' in Witherspoon's with wife and lad , curries , bargees and a couple of pints of Burton Bridge Brewery ' Golden ' ?

Good to know that folks are taking things seriously!

Well, it's reassuring to know that the new government owned Northern Fail, having decided to cancel the Liverpool-Blackpool train totally, decides to shove the passengers who would normally catch that train on to the train I catch, make that train smaller, and turn it into the Covid Express.  Lovely!  I know that rush hour nowadays is not what it was in its hey day but cramming two train loads of what remains of the rush hour into three carriages still results in people being well within 2 metres of each other in an air conditioned hot house.  What joy.

And my employer has STILL not stopped the hot desking!

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

One thing I hadn’t envisaged is we are running low on disposable gloves at work. Obviously the NHS takes priority but no way can we operate without them as we use manky chemicals and what have you. 

Do you have to use disposable ones?  I don't know what you deal with but would it be possible to use re-usable gloves instead?  I can't see the disposable glove situation getting better anytime soon given the worldwide demand for them at the moment.

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just been ' self isolating ' in Witherspoon's with wife and lad , curries , bargees and a couple of pints of Burton Bridge Brewery ' Golden ' ?

I'd be careful; those bargees are not always the most hygienic people in the field of water-based freight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Do you have to use disposable ones?  I don't know what you deal with but would it be possible to use re-usable gloves instead?  I can't see the disposable glove situation getting better anytime soon given the worldwide demand for them at the moment.

You need a lot of dexterity so reusable ones are no good for certain things. Reusable ones are used too but for different tasks. 

Just now, Johnoco said:

You need a lot of dexterity so reusable ones are no good for certain things. Reusable ones are used too but for different tasks. 

Fair enough.  Could get tricky for your company in the coming months.  I'm hoping that there will be some remains of manufacturing capability in this country that may be able to turn their hand to making such things as disposable gloves, masks, etc as we are going to need one heck of a lot of them.