14 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's been a right headache, a real pain in the bum not being able to get paracetamol.

Not been panic buying,  though, as the freezer and cupboards are full and we've already got 10 packs of dogfood, though we don't yet have a dog. Still, you never know....

You can always trade it...might have to go back to the barter system for awhile.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My wife took this of me out hunting for bread this morning......

90097491_10162960000905167_5503668966809141248_n.jpg

Better watch it you could get shot by a hunter who has lost his glasses!

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

the point in neither he nor me were stockpiling - 4 cans of beans is not weird (we get through 2 at a sitting) and neither is getting 4 bottles of beer that are in a 4 for £6 deal. Meanwhile the person with 3 of every available cereal left on the shelves is scanned through unhindered as were all those self scanning

yep, sorry for a touch over-reacting to your comment too negatively, please accept my apology.

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's been a right headache, a real pain in the bum not being able to get paracetamol.

Not been panic buying,  though, as the freezer and cupboards are full and we've already got 10 packs of dogfood, though we don't yet have a dog. Still, you never know....

With 10 packs you should be able to tempt enough dog's to keep you going for a while if things get really tricky?

• Haha 1

Shifted this from the politics thread where I posted by mistake:

A mate who's normally a sensible type told me this morning he'd stuffed his freezer full of everything fresh and bought all the canned/long-life foods he can. I asked "Why?!" He said that he can't guarantee he'll get paid at the end of this month if his work goes bust so is using his spare money to get things in now so that that's one less worry.

THAT really hit through for me. Hard to argue against that with moral arguments about sharing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Listening to the medical statement just now and can only hear someone in the audience with a dry cough that screams "ISOLATE YOURSELF!" I wonder who she's infecting by soldiering on...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

It's very quiet out here on the seafront, its quieter than Christmas day. Mind you the clean air makes up for it. 

They're all in Morrison's.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

A mate who's normally a sensible type told me this morning he'd stuffed his freezer full of everything fresh and bought all the canned/long-life foods he can. I asked "Why?!" He said that he can't guarantee he'll get paid at the end of this month if his work goes bust so is using his spare money to get things in now so that that's one less worry.

THAT really hit through for me. Hard to argue against that with moral arguments about sharing.

As I'm on Universal "Credit", I have always had a bunker mentality, I have loads of frozen, tinned, and dried food, I bought big roll by the 18's, even though I live alone. I'm a survivor. 

• Like 1

Where were you last Thursday?

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

As I'm on Universal "Credit", I have always had a bunker mentality, I have loads of frozen, tinned, and dried food, I bought big roll by the 18's, even though I live alone. I'm a survivor. 

What are you going to do if your freshwater drinking supply becomes contaminated?

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

That bloke ain't thinking straight, 'If' his work goes bust? 

He 'may' have to apply for universal credit to get the essentials. 

In any case. He would be better off saving what he's got, not rushing around wildly spending. 

Sounds like he's been gripped by fear and swept along in the mass panic. As you state, he's normally the sensible type. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

That bloke ain't thinking straight, 'If' his work goes bust? 

He 'may' have to apply for universal credit to get the essentials. 

In any case. He would be better off saving what he's got, not rushing around wildly spending. 

Sounds like he's been gripped by fear and swept along in the mass panic. As you state, he's normally the sensible type. 

Given universal credit will pay in May now for a claim today... and that's best endeavours given the stress on the system.

He works for a small-ish company and a bit of a London wide-boy as owner, if they go bust or the owner doesn't want to waste money rescuing the company or keeping people employed then he knows his salary or redundancy will the last thing on the owner's mind. It's a big worry for him.

I remember the miners strike as a kid and the fear of running out of food was huge. It dominated things. I got my tea next door (a non mining family) on days the school was off and I know that my family had short days of beans & toast on too many days.

For someone with no certain income then that black hole with no light at the end of it is damnably scary.

43 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

With 10 packs you should be able to tempt enough dog's to keep you going for a while if things get really tricky?

Saving in in case things get really  ruff..ruff ruff....

• Haha 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

And this is the result of the persistent hype and scaremongering by people sharing gossip from a mate of a mate whose granny heard through the neighbour's walls where the neighbour is a cleaner in a barracks somewhere

Just stop it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ckn said:

And this is the result of the persistent hype and scaremongering by people sharing gossip from a mate of a mate whose granny heard through the neighbour's walls where the neighbour is a cleaner in a barracks somewhere

Just stop it.

Again, idiocy. People are totally ignorant as to what a lockdown could mean. They think it's going to be martial law and no one will be allowed out for any reason. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ckn said:

Given universal credit will pay in May now for a claim today... and that's best endeavours given the stress on the system.

He works for a small-ish company and a bit of a London wide-boy as owner, if they go bust or the owner doesn't want to waste money rescuing the company or keeping people employed then he knows his salary or redundancy will the last thing on the owner's mind. It's a big worry for him.

I remember the miners strike as a kid and the fear of running out of food was huge. It dominated things. I got my tea next door (a non mining family) on days the school was off and I know that my family had short days of beans & toast on too many days.

For someone with no certain income then that black hole with no light at the end of it is damnably scary.

Normal JSA isn't much better either  - it me took from 28 Jan to 27 Feb to get £83 out of them

7 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Again, idiocy. People are totally ignorant as to what a lockdown could mean. They think it's going to be martial law and no one will be allowed out for any reason. 

Indeed . And that’s why that word in itself really isn’t helpful and shouldn’t be used . Some verbal dexterity could be used 

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

All the more reason to not go out and buy anything and everything he sees available on the shelves right now. 'IF' he looses his job and 'IF' he can't get another one or universal for up to 6 weeks then he might really need something that he's not thought of on the spur of the moment whilst bulk buying but won't be able to get it. Stop, save, think, plan. I feel he's going to be worrying more with a zero bank balance wondering if he's got everything. 

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Asda last night beer and cider aplenty but just 2 4 packs of Bud light, some bottles of desperado (about the same as that pic) and 2 pallet loads of Corona plus an aisle end

I have therefore decided - drinking lager is an indicator of likelihood to believe scare stories and hype

• Like 1