Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tommygilf

Have you seen the England Squad?

Recommended Posts

No Hastings or Austin. Maybe they won’t be sticking around in England in the longer term?

Glad about Tomkins, Josh Griffin, Farrell, Newman, Johnstone and Manfredi.

Slightly disappointed that Wane has stuck with some of the old guard like Chris Hill and not picked Morgan Smithies.

Interesting to see Sarginson back!

Still no George Burgess? Another surprise.

Widdop hasn’t earned a place on current form but would still be surprised if he’s not involved in the Ashes.

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Ash Handley in either squad? I would have thought that as one of the top two or three English eligible try scorers last year, he’d have been a shoe in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s obviously giving Widdop a wake up call , if he’s producing he’ll be in . I’m not surprised Wane broke with Bennett and didn’t pick Austin or Hastings . He’s sending a message there . Personally I don’t know how Reece Lyne gets in all these squads , or the Sarge . Gildart Griffin Newman Percival are handy centre options with Watkins there to . Overall we look pretty strong if we get there fit n healthy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No Hastings or Austin. Maybe they won’t be sticking around in England in the longer term?

Glad about Tomkins, Josh Griffin, Farrell, Newman, Johnstone and Manfredi.

Slightly disappointed that Wane has stuck with some of the old guard like Chris Hill and not picked Morgan Smithies.

Interesting to see Sarginson back!

Still no George Burgess? Another surprise.

Widdop hasn’t earned a place on current form but would still be surprised if he’s not involved in the Ashes.

Morgan Smithies?  Good defender but not seen anything from him to suggest he should be playing for Engalnd yet.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From being top heavy in half backs for the GB tour we now have just Lomax and Gale in the UK contingent and George Williams from the NRL.

With Evalds, Hardaker and Ratchford in there, I wonder if Wane has Sam Tomkins in mind for a half back spot.

I hope to see Trueman and Lees force their way into the squad for the Ahes.

Good to see Newman, Havard, Smithies, Welsby, Harry Smith and Oliver Wilson progress from the successful Academy team into rep squads... I think a few of these will be in contention for a World Cup squad place even if the Ashes is too soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s obviously giving Widdop a wake up call , if he’s producing he’ll be in . I’m not surprised Wane broke with Bennett and didn’t pick Austin or Hastings . He’s sending a message there . Personally I don’t know how Reece Lyne gets in all these squads , or the Sarge . Gildart Griffin Newman Percival are handy centre options with Watkins there to . Overall we look pretty strong if we get there fit n healthy 

Widdop's not really performing yet, but as Wane pointed out, the Ashes is a while off yet.

No Sean O'Loughlin, which could mean the end of his international career.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sarginson?!.. 


Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Morgan Smithies?  Good defender but not seen anything from him to suggest he should be playing for Engalnd yet.

Got to agree, for me he is full of enthusiasm and will throw himself about in defence, but I have not witnessed anything in his offensive play that stands him out for an international call up.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Morgan Smithies?  Good defender but not seen anything from him to suggest he should be playing for Engalnd yet.

He’s a machine of a forward. Get him in now so he’s blooded for the World Cup.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s obviously giving Widdop a wake up call , if he’s producing he’ll be in . I’m not surprised Wane broke with Bennett and didn’t pick Austin or Hastings . He’s sending a message there . Personally I don’t know how Reece Lyne gets in all these squads , or the Sarge . Gildart Griffin Newman Percival are handy centre options with Watkins there to . Overall we look pretty strong if we get there fit n healthy 

Lynes quality if he gets good ball, strong and hard to bring down and can put his winger away.  Not really pulled up any trees last season because Wakey have had to go back to basic rugby to keep up with the injuries but he's definitely worth a shout.  Ashurst should be there too for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

He’s a machine of a forward. Get him in now so he’s blooded for the World Cup.

He tackles a lot and is enthusastic, that's it.

Maybe he'll add some impact with the ball but he's miles off yet IMO.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I know it’s not definitive and I know the controversy from some quarters that it would receive but I would have Hastings in mine. 

Hastings and Widdop were very poor on the GB tour, so were others you will say, but these two guys were in there to call the shots and lead the team around on the offensive, Widdop is most definatley not in there on his current form - he is in all probability not even warrenting a spot in the Wire team - and Mr Wane may just see in Hastings that he is like a lit of others who play well at domestic level but can't hack it at the top level against the best. Also not surprised tgere is no place for Austen either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Widdop's not really performing yet, but as Wane pointed out, the Ashes is a while off yet.

Indeed . Personally I’d be very surprised if he’s not around . And I’d be very surprised if Hastings and Austin are around , I just don’t think Wane is going that way . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

He’s a machine of a forward. Get him in now so he’s blooded for the World Cup.

From the squad who would you select him in front of, and why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Sarginson?!.. 

To be fair he's been excellent in a poor side so far and gives something different to the other centres in there. He's also learned how to pass the ball over the last few games as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

With Evalds, Hardaker and Ratchford in there, I wonder if Wane has Sam Tomkins in mind for a half back spot.

Gale & Lomax scrum-half and stand-off with Tomkins at full back would have tons of brainpower but kicking game wouldn’t be great. Maybe Williams will be scrum-half instead?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Widdop is most definatley not in there on his current form - he is in all probability not even warrenting a spot in the Wire team -

His current form is embryonic . He’s in a totally new environment , systems and climate - he probably won’t have played on pitches and weather like this since he was a kid - and off injury . And with a new half back to get to know .Tbh I’d be more shocked if he did hit the ground running . I’d rather look at 5 years of form at the very highest level - the bloke is top notch . He’ll show it and you’d be mad to throw that away 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DavidM said:

His current form is embryonic . He’s in a totally new environment , systems and climate - he probably won’t have played on pitches and weather like this since he was a kid - and off injury . And with a new half back to get to know .Tbh I’d be more shocked if he did hit the ground running . I’d rather look at 5 years of form at the very highest level - the bloke is top notch . He’ll show it and you’d be mad to throw that away 

He must have all his excellent games when I'm not watching.

Never been a fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

From the squad who would you select him in front of, and why?

We aren’t blessed with loose forwards and Wane has selected seven/eight centres in the squad - Percival, Watkins, Gildart, Sarginson, Griffin, Lyne, Newman and Hardaker - so I’d have Smithies in for one of them. Either Lyne or Sarginson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

He must have all his excellent games when I'm not watching.

Never been a fan.

You don’t watch St George then because he’s had loads . When he didn’t play they didn’t play . Ask them there what they think 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...