I was at that game, nothing out of the ordinary, McGuire ripping Cas to shreds, but, this is well worth the watch for the commentary alone - Mick Morgan at his best.

Ah can't speyk!!!

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is “Rugby League DVDs” still going? It had hundreds of games on there. 

Now called "Rugby League replayed"

Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

11 minutes ago, meast said:

Can 2015 really be called "classic"?

I'd have called the Tonga v England game that OurLeague re-streamed on the weekend a classic. It just isn't old.

• Like 3

Bit of work to clear the yawn off my youtube pages first of all. I don't know and can't imagine where they got the idea I wanted to be isolated with kick and clap for a few weeks. Now that would be exile with a capital EX!

125 years of TGG has some beautiful images on it but isn't long enough.

The Greatest Try was a real disappointment in the number and predictability of the vote choices. This was a really good thought that needed a bit more work and options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkuDAtfmxV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQWEoMG8eA

Edited by Oxford

On n'est pas là pour se faire engueuler

1972 World Cup - Great Britain v Australia

No, not the final but the group game earlier in the competition - effectively the match which won the World Cup for GB. Because the final was drawn then the team with the best record in the qualifying group won the cup.

This was also the match which brought about a change in the laws of the game due to the French referee "inventing" a rule which gave the try-scoring team an extra penalty kick at goal after the attempted conversion for a foul on the try scorer. (See at 4m,10s).

And I didn't know coronavirus was about in 1972 ... well, it seems so the way that Aussies just walk off at the final whistle without wanting to shake hands !

Edited by RL does what Sky says

On 18/03/2020 at 15:46, hrtbps said:

With plenty of free time ahead of us, let's start a thread of some of the best hidden RL gems on YouTube.

I'll start with a few of my favourites:

Short news report on the proposed Calder merger of Fev, Cas and Wakey...

Featherstone 12-7 Hull KR, from a 1992 episode of Scrumdown...

Featherstone 12-6 Castleford, from an 89-90 episode of Scrumdown...

Got a bit emotional watching the first one. Real crossroads for the game. I wonder how it would have turned out if we had gone ahead with all the mergers. Miss those types of games from when I was a kid.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

15 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Got a bit emotional watching the first one. Real crossroads for the game. I wonder how it would have turned out if we had gone ahead with all the mergers. Miss those types of games from when I was a kid.

Perhaps the ratings would have been better and Sky wouldn't have cut the fees back in 1999, then again maybe not.  It's entirely possible that other Sky viewers would have seen through such creations as "Calder" and not watched in that case too.

21 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

1972 World Cup - Great Britain v Australia

No, not the final but the group game earlier in the competition - effectively the match which won the World Cup for GB. Because the final was drawn then the team with the best record in the qualifying group won the cup.

This was also the match which brought about a change in the laws of the game due to the French referee "inventing" a rule which gave the try-scoring team an extra penalty kick at goal after the attempted conversion for a foul on the try scorer. (See at 4m,10s).

And I didn't know coronavirus was about in 1972 ... well, it seems so the way that Aussies just walk off at the final whistle without wanting to shake hands !

Great to see so many of the players that got me into the game originally. 

On n'est pas là pour se faire engueuler

Clearly sartorial elegance in the commentary box didn't begin with Phil Clarke who hasn't, yet gone for the bow tie option.

But the action on the field is pretty good too and check out SCummings, first man into every fight, of which there are several.

Great Britain defeating France in the very first Rugby League World Cup final in 1954

Who said Rugby League in those days was just scrum after scrum after scrum and played by overweight prop forwards on a muddy field ?

I wouldn't mind now watching the style of game they are playing here.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Re the mergers in the OP.    The film doesn't mention where the new  team would be based.Was that ever decided or did discussion not get that far.

Thank god it never happened by the way.

10 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Re the mergers in the OP.    The film doesn't mention where the new  team would be based.Was that ever decided or did discussion not get that far.

Thank god it never happened by the way.

A new stadium between Wakefield and Castleford was the only option from memory, where have we heard that before?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

That feels like a lifetime ago. Quite sad when you think of the expectations of being a 'global' sport and all that money coming into the game, and looking at where we are now in terms of progression.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

9 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

That feels like a lifetime ago. Quite sad when you think of the expectations of being a 'global' sport and all that money coming into the game, and looking at where we are now in terms of progression.

Those expectations were unrealistic without serious change of the sort proposed which was so controversial.  Expectations of that sort could never be met by a league dominated by small time traditional away fan-dependent clubs, they could only be met by something wholly new and separate from them and their small time ways.

39 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Those expectations were unrealistic without serious change of the sort proposed which was so controversial.  Expectations of that sort could never be met by a league dominated by small time traditional away fan-dependent clubs, they could only be met by something wholly new and separate from them and their small time ways.

It all depends on what different people want from the sport.

Do I want Rugby League to become a truly global sport ? Yes

However, do I want Rugby League to become a global sport but without being able to watch the team I have supported for over 55 years ? Definitely not !

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

It all depends on what different people want from the sport.

Do I want Rugby League to become a truly global sport ? Yes

However, do I want Rugby League to become a global sport but without being able to watch the team I have supported for over 55 years ? Definitely not !

There's no reason we can't have both, if bringing the former about is handled by a separate organization which is outside the one which runs the traditional domestic game in Britain and the two look after their own areas of operation separately.

48 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

There's no reason we can't have both, if bringing the former about is handled by a separate organization which is outside the one which runs the traditional domestic game in Britain and the two look after their own areas of operation separately.

I do agree with the general idea of that. It's like when some club chairman have said that this virus could bring the end of RL or of their clubs .... No, it doesn't have to be the end of either; people will still want to play and watch the game of RL and some clubs might still exist but at a lower level. It's like my club, Oldham - just because they are no longer in the top division doesn't mean I have stopped supporting them.

As I said in my previous post; it depends what different people want from the sport ... some just want the glory or to make money from it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I think the money was needed but there was a bit of delusion over what it would mean. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

20 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I think the money was needed but there was a bit of delusion over what it would mean. 

I can remember Rugby League being on the back page of the papers throughout this period, London editions too. Obvs Murdochs influence, but can never recall a time when we're so prominent in the sporting spotlight.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk