1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I think the money was needed but there was a bit of delusion over what it would mean. 

It was needed, desperately in fact.  In that report Featherstone's chairman said straight out that 26 of the 32 pro clubs were insolvent.

Edited by Big Picture

I don't think anyone didn't want the money, the debate was over the demands to merge. I'm not sure the game would be any stronger if those mergers had gone through and I suspect a lot of the clubs would have reformed and we would have had a real mess on our hands.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Hi all,

I recently put together a list of some of the great documentaries and old matches that have been uploaded online. The full list is here. Please share widely with Rugby League people who may be feeling isolated at the moment.

Hundreds of hours of RL history

https://tidesofhistory.wordpress.com/2020/03/21/the-peoples-game-the-rugby-league-tv-archive/

Will add some of the ones mentioned on this forum

Cheers 

Anthony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

31 minutes ago, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

I recently put together a list of some of the great documentaries and old matches that have been uploaded online. The full list is here. Please share widely with Rugby League people who may be feeling isolated at the moment.

https://tidesofhistory.wordpress.com/2020/03/21/the-peoples-game-the-rugby-league-tv-archive/

Cheers 

Anthony 

Great work, sir. Thank you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

Cheers 

Anthony 

I enjoyed your piece relating the Wolfpack's capture of Sonny Bill Williams to the RU converts who came into the game in the past.  It's a shame that absent a lot more money in RL than is the case now, SBW will probably be the last such convert who comes over.

27 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I enjoyed your piece relating the Wolfpack's capture of Sonny Bill Williams to the RU converts who came into the game in the past.  It's a shame that absent a lot more money in RL than is the case now, SBW will probably be the last such convert who comes over.

Is SBW a true convert?

What a waste of money, by the way. Still, eyeballs.

4 hours ago, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

Cheers 

Anthony 

Fine work collating all this.

On a slightly different tack, has anyone got a link to that Footy Show feature about The Bye Supporters Club?

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

On 26/03/2020 at 17:32, Big Picture said:

It was needed, desperately in fact.  In that report Featherstone's chairman said straight out that 26 of the 32 pro clubs were insolvent.

Following on from the video shown with the very first comment of this thread, here is another which was shown on the 20th anniversary of Super League concerning the proposed mergers which were planned when it first began ....

As always though, whenever comments are made about RL before it switched to summer, references are made about "muddy pitches" as though EVERY match was played  in those conditions. 

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Keighley V Huddersfield on a beautiful pitch from 1994

They must have misplaced the 30-0 cup win a year later 🙂

24 minutes ago, meast said:

The cup win was a good day for Huddersfield supporters. IIC, one of the Keighley players made the mistake of giving Dave King a dig early in the game and King  responded with an excellent, physical performance.

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

2 hours ago, meast said:

That one could be called the Mud Bowl!

3 hours ago, longboard said:

The cup win was a good day for Huddersfield supporters. IIC, one of the Keighley players made the mistake of giving Dave King a dig early in the game and King  responded with an excellent, physical performance.

It was Keighley's first home defeat for 3 years and first time they'd failed to score at home in 30 odd games or something, Dave King, Greg Austin and Simon Reynolds were like camels that day, he glided over the sand dunes to rack the points up!

On 26/03/2020 at 18:53, Tides Of History said:

Hi all,

Cheers 

Anthony 

Might be worth adding this to your selection, Anthony. It's a six-minute excerpt (dressing room scenes/match action at Derwent Park) from a 30-minute, Eric Robson-narrated Border TV documentary about Workington Town. The full version was on YouTube. I've posted a link previously, some time ago, but it seems to have disappeared from YouTube. The full version features interviews with Arnie Walker, Alan Banks, Ike Southward, Andy Key etc.

Edited by Hopping Mad

10 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Might be worth adding this to your selection, Anthony. It's a six-minute excerpt (dressing room scenes/match action at Derwent Park) from a 30-minute, Eric Robson-narrated Border TV documentary about Workington Town. The full version was on YouTube. I've posted a link previously, some time ago, but it seems to have disappeared from YouTube. The full version features interviews with Arnie Walker, Alan Banks, Ike Southward, Andy Key etc.

The Workington player shown at the start of the clip getting a rub down on the table (and later shown as number 2 talking to Tom Mitchell) is Iain MacCorquodale who was a prolific goalkicker ... as can be seen via the attached link when Workington beat Wigan in the 1977 Lancashire Cup Final.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-league/32609031

Iain was actually signed from Oldham Rugby Union club and his goalkicking was so vital for Workington that because he was a teacher in Oldham the club didn't mind having him travel from Oldham every week to play. After retiring Iain became one of the foremost organisers and coaches of schools' RL in Oldham and in 1988 led a squad of Oldham under-13 schoolboys on a tour of Australia - one of the first teams of that age to tour down under - and from where they returned unbeaten.  He is now back as an official at Oldham Rugby Union club.

EDIT .. The report attached to the BBC Sport website on the link sates that Iain MacCorquodale also played for Fulham and Oldham .... Yes he played for Fulham but although being from Oldham he never actually played for them.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Finally got round to seeing Another Bloody Sunday courtesy of Tides of History’s website.

I can see why it’s in BFI’s collection. Excellent piece of social history and very engaging with warmth and wit (shame about the racism but I suppose it was of its time). 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Finally got round to seeing Another Bloody Sunday courtesy of Tides of History’s website.

I can see why it’s in BFI’s collection. Excellent piece of social history and very engaging with warmth and wit (shame about the racism but I suppose it was of its time). 

I always thought that the club secretary's monologue at the start of the programme had a certain Alan Bennett wistfulness to them.

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I always thought that the club secretary's monologue at the start of the programme had a certain Alan Bennett wistfulness to them.

He’s hilarious. Very dry. 

On 28/03/2020 at 16:36, meast said:

It was Keighley's first home defeat for 3 years and first time they'd failed to score at home in 30 odd games or something, Dave King, Greg Austin and Simon Reynolds were like camels that day, he glided over the sand dunes to rack the points up!

Must of forgotten Batley beat them at keighley two seasons on the bounce 

Not on YouTube (well, I've never seen it on there) but from the Oldham RL Heritage website,,,,

The link will take you to the details of the 1957 Championship Final between Oldham and Hull and which includes a video of the occasion as well as the team's homecoming.

https://orl-heritagetrust.org.uk/game/oldham-v-hull-fc-2478/

A crowd of 62,217 at the match (well, officially !) ..... only 1,885 less than last year's Grand Final !!!

What a great thread. Only one problem.  My wife is now trying to find who started the thread  as she claims she can't get near the TV remote now. 😀😀😀

Four legs good - two legs bad

Apologies if someone has already shared. Dewsbury v Swinton 1981-82. Plenty of ball handling, quick play the balls, no arguing with the ref, contested scrums.....