Growing up "back in the day"

my childhood revolved round food really as i liked mi snap, always first outa dining room at school to do the 100 yards over playground to dinnerladys door for what ever were left. every friday night mi dad sent me to changing rooms a dewsbury celtics ground as they did pie n peas for the whole westown, big tuppwerware dish fitted 6 pork pies in and then they filled it to top with mushy peas.all for 2 bob.lol.

we had it good in 60s, none these snazzy pizzas that give yers belly ache.:kolobok_popcorm1:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running down 't'bonk and t'buttress to school and then walking up again after. Usually with some spogs to keep us happy. One day hafway up t'buttress getting stopped by some older lads who wanted my Action Man stars. They weren't avin' em, so they kept my mate hostage until they gave up.

Yes, my stars were probably worth more than friendship. And wasn't I reminded of it....

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

riding on the back of an open back pick up truck wasn't seen as unusual  - sat down of course with your back to the cab- nothing dangerous

Wasn’t that long ago I was driving an old transit van with the sliding drivers door open in summer. 

45 minutes ago, silverback said:

do you know what, i were fine with dr who ..........until white dalek came out a some ice cave, it talked deeper and scared mi poopless.

I used to have nightmares about the Snow Queen.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

32 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Running down 't'bonk and t'buttress to school and then walking up again after. Usually with some spogs to keep us happy. One day hafway up t'buttress getting stopped by some older lads who wanted my Action Man stars. They weren't avin' em, so they kept my mate hostage until they gave up.

Yes, my stars were probably worth more than friendship. And wasn't I reminded of it....

Where are you from Mister Ting?

I’d not heard sweets called spogs until I went to live in Morley when I was in my forties.

11 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Wasn’t that long ago I was driving an old transit van with the sliding drivers door open in summer. 

I used to take a transit fronted walk through box van ( auto as well ) to Blackpool full of blanched chips in the early 80 s , that had sliding doors , belting in summer , freezing in winter , later on had a 2.3 Bedford CF , fast as , good job petrol was cheap ?

Winter of 1963. The snow was about 5 ft deep. We walked to the village school down a trench dug into the snow by the council. I couldn't see over the top.

My uncle died in the farm on the hill that overlooks the village. The Co-op Builders Dept built a wooden sledge and the builders and undertakers dragged his body down. The graveyards and crematorium were shut; no Chapels of Rest in those days, so body and coffin were stood on a trestle for a couple of weeks in my Nan's front room. We kids threw a sheet over the coffin and made a den underneath.

7 minutes ago, Moose said:

I’d not heard sweets called spogs until I went to live in Morley when I was in my forties.

I have a mate from Harrogate that still calls them spogs.

19 minutes ago, Moose said:

Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd and the story from the time is when I lived up Heptonstall. There was once a different accent between Heptonstall and Mytholmroyd, although I think the dialect would have been the same.

If you heard of the term in Morley, spogs must have been used in a fairly wide area of Yorkshire.

Having an outdoor toilet which you had to get everyone to move twice a season and replace it over a new hole....drinking water directly from a creek or lake or river and handwashing all clothes in the stream using an old scrubbing board, setting snares and checking them in the morning then catching a rabbit and bringing it to my mother and her telling me I done good...rabbit for supper tonight.

Climbing these trees and running from one side of the bridge, across the road and railway line, to the other side and back again.

Play with guns when 8 years old is another one.

Catching funnel web spiders. These spiders are one of the most dangerous spiders on earth.

Outdoor toilets surrounded by spiderwebs.

I also used to go down to the beach a lot on my own while very young. On one occasion a man attempted to get me into his car.

Sometimes when off track camping my mother wouldn’t bother putting up a tent if she found a rocky overhang or cave. We’d sleep straight on the ground with the sounds of the bush around us.

918A6F71-A7BB-498C-BC9D-C6DA4D5BC938.jpeg

E27D83A7-C9D2-4E9D-98B0-4740D0E9FD7D.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd and the story from the time is when I lived up Heptonstall. There was once a different accent between Heptonstall and Mytholmroyd, although I think the dialect would have been the same.

If you heard of the term in Morley, spogs must have been used in a fairly wide area of Yorkshire.

I moved from Hunslet to Morley, I’d only known Sweets as sweets or spice. Spice means something different today?

We also knew sweets as spice, but we called them spogs. By the time I'd moved away from heptonstall (almost 13) I probably carried on calling them spogs until I grew up, when I was 35 or so.

When I did something stupid,my dad would give me a good hiding.After a few days I'd do something equally stupid and get another hiding.It worked though because I never did the same stupid thing twice.

It was worse though ,if I gave my mother some lip I'd get a damp T towel flicked round the back of my legs.That hurt.

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

having a kids savings book where you could bank a pound a week either through school or hop on your bike in to town - go to an actual bank- see an actual human being - give them a pound- it takes at least half an hour of security questions to find out a balance these days

I remember these when I was at school, they were TSB ones if I recall correctly. I wonder whatever happened to mine!

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

I was 5 in 1965. Them daleks scared the crapola out of me!!!?

I was ok with the daleks, it was the green death and the cybermen which scared me (and I was a bit older than 5 at the time).

4 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

having a kids savings book where you could bank a pound a week either through school or hop on your bike in to town - go to an actual bank- see an actual human being - give them a pound- it takes at least half an hour of security questions to find out a balance these days

I had a savings book as a child but mine was with the Post Office.  I've still got it.  It's bendy blue plastic with a clear plastic strip on the side.  I used to love seeing my 50ps build up week by week and then I'd spend it all on some sweets on a Friday, which was the only day my parents would let us have sweets.

I remember handing over the last threepenny bit in legal circulation when the currency changed.  I still have a threepenny bit (and an old £1 note).

Playing conkers, ker-nockers (ha!), pogo sticks, hand-clapping games and hopscotch, going sledging on a tray (and also a posh wooden sledge), going over the top on swings, going down those massive slides in parks, spinning wildly on a roundabout, climbing trees, going on a tree swing over a local brook, taking off on the pushbike for most of the day, fish and chips in newspaper, the pop man (my favourite was always cream soda), marbles, airfix kits (planes were my favourite), entering WH Smith Win a Pony competition every year and never winning a pony ? Starsky & Hutch. ? 

we used to pull a real good stunt getting into pioneer picture house,if we waited until film started the staff went for a brew and a fag so we could get in the back door long ramp that took you to back of the screen. we could sit and watch jason and the argonauts sat on all the old theatre props and seats at back a screen,  we used to crawl about think we might get seen by those sat in the seats until one lad pointed out weeks later we dont make a shadow as lights coming our way off projector. when film had done we just blend in with crowd on way out.job done.

what about club trips to cleethorps.blokes would spend an hour loading vast crates of websters green label on train, think we got a bob when we got there,couple a crab paste sarnies on beach and we were living the dream.women off playing bingo all day same as they did at home anyways..:kolobok_popcorm1:

snakebelts and caddies ice cream parlor pop floaters were a thing of beauty.

4 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

"Playing" a bizarre game called Chicken.

Two lads would face each other, standing upright but with legs spread wide, with a smallish gap between participants. Shoes had to be worn! This game took place on grass.....

One lad would pick up a knife (yes) and throw it forcefully downwards to land somewhere in the middle of the gap between the others feet. The non thrower would then close his gap by replacing one foot onto the new point where the knife stood, therefore reducing the space between his feet by half. He then pulled the knife out of the ground and it was his turn to throw the damn thing in the opponents gap.

And on it went, soon the feet were ridiculously close together, and the juvenile participants aiming to land the blade in an unfeasibly small space. Either you then chickened out and lost the game, or got the knife thrown at your foot and hit it. Totally unhinged "game" which should have resulted in serious injury but never did! It relied on a crazed belief that the opponent would actually not try and throw the knife deliberately at your foot.

This game was sometimes played with a cricket stump!!

Insanity.

We used to play that too but called it knifey. Also everyone seemed to have some sort of pen knife back then. All innocent and used for making things like dens and bow and arrows from tree branches and string. Nothing like why people have them today!

Archived