A leaked letter Derek Beaumont has sent to Championship and League 1 clubs

Read the letter and it says nothing about what would happen with League 1 games. Would they play games at a neutral venue ? If so, when ? Saturday/Sunday or midweek ? Given the geographical spread of League 1 and the fact it's a part time set up, when would players be tested and what would the risks of them having to go to work and coming into contact with a virus carrier between testing and playing ? Who would be recording the League 1 games ? Our League or down to individual clubs ? If individual clubs, are we looking at a return to the days games were uploaded to Vimeo but with access being available via subscription to supporters ?

Nice to see he has made proposals and has opened up the debate but find his letter raises as many questions as it answers.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

15 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

The real point is that he makes sense (again) and he is putting the sport and fans as the main priority. Why should football or Super League for that matter be any different ?  We have the technology, we have the infrastructure and with the correct planning, we could still watch RL in some capacity whether you are old or young and whether you want to watch live or not. 

Playing Rugby is a job, and Furlough is simply doing peoples heads in. Why are Rugby players be any different ? They want to go back to work. I'd be depressed if one League could go back to work yet Id be told to 'stay put'.

He has hopefully given Elstone and his cronies food for thought because there is more to RL than just SL. He has given a balanced view on how the season can progress and true fans and Chairmen of Championship and C1 clubs can only support his view ?

The stadiums in Lancashire and Yorkshire I would ponder would be the Reebock in Bolton and Huddersfield. Plenty of room for self distancing, good motorway links and football in them divisions will be binned anyway. Why would it have to be an existing Rugby ground ??

?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

It’s something we will have to live with. You can’t eradicate a virus you learn to live with it and adapt accordingly,

What you don’t do is bow down to it. You improvise before simply calling it a day.

Perhaps if we live with it - and without playing this year - we could be optimistic about playing,and spectating at the stadia,next year.

I now fear 2021 may go the same way as this year - https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1285465/China-coronavirus-second-wave-covid19-mutation-lockdown

I hope our 'experts' are on the ball...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

That bit you bolded is hilarious, how can someone be that naive ?

Must be terrible for you these past few weeks with Leigh not playing and you having to store up all that aggression and frustration with no one to get your childish snide remaks out on.

I bet you were rubbing your hands with glee when you saw the thread title. Do you not think it is about time you grew up.

14 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

They really aren’t. This is a slow process of change with COVID infections still rife in this country; even worse overseas. We are not going back to normality anytime soon.

By my calculations approx 8 people in a crowd of 1000 will have the virus.

The only hope Leigh have is that the full time clubs can get something sorted in terms of playing games. The nature of part time clubs and importance of gate money makes resuming almost totally prohibitive. 

So what, Leigh, London, Toulouse play a tri series? 

On 22/05/2020 at 11:00, Tommygilf said:

The only hope Leigh have is that the full time clubs can get something sorted in terms of playing games. The nature of part time clubs and importance of gate money makes resuming almost totally prohibitive. 

So what, Leigh, London, Toulouse play a tri series? 

Leigh are actually 'hybrid' Tommy, a mixture of full time and part time player's. As I believe so are Fev, but obviously they have the duel reg guy's available also.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh are actually 'hybrid' Tommy, a mixture of full time and part time player's. As I believe so are Fev, but obviously they have the duel reg guy's available also.

There's a few teams in that hybrid level though Harry to varying extents, Fev and Leigh at the top. From my experience many "hybrid" teams are effectively full time with players operating as club employees in their other jobs.

Derek still doesn't provide an Avenue for those clubs even though H. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

There's a few teams in that hybrid level though Harry to varying extents, Fev and Leigh at the top. From my experience many "hybrid" teams are effectively full time with players operating as club employees in their other jobs.

Derek still doesn't provide an Avenue for those clubs even though H. 

I don't know what the blueprint is for his own team and the part-timers that are required, also re the venue if it was to happen or even if only the SL was to go ahead, Leigh would genuinely be a good choice, the facilities at the Sports Village are very accomodating apart from the main stadium, there is the state of the art Harriers Athletic club with multi changing rooms and the changing rooms adjoining the 3 full size and 4 half size 5 a side pitches.

BUT, will anything go ahead this year, I would not like to commit either way, but pressed I would say no!

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't know what the blueprint is for his own team and the part-timers that are required, also re the venue if it was to happen or even if only the SL was to go ahead, Leigh would genuinely be a good choice, the facilities at the Sports Village are very accomodating apart from the main stadium, there is the state of the art Harriers Athletic club with multi changing rooms and the changing rooms adjoining the 3 full size and 4 half size 5 a side pitches.

BUT, will anything go ahead this year, I would not like to commit either way, but pressed I would say no!

I agree Harry I think its difficult enough for full time clubs to get going, nevermind part time. 

One report I read said that Super League were looking at using Headingley, St Helens and Warrington as venues for the restarted comp behind closed doors. Perhaps LSV could be a part of that. 

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I agree Harry I think its difficult enough for full time clubs to get going, nevermind part time. 

One report I read said that Super League were looking at using Headingley, St Helens and Warrington as venues for the restarted comp behind closed doors. Perhaps LSV could be a part of that. 

Obviously Headingley has the cricket facilities to call on, I should imagine that Saints and Wire but I don't know for certain would require to bring in porta-kabin changing rooms?

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Obviously Headingley has the cricket facilities to call on, I should imagine that Saints and Wire but I don't know for certain would require to bring in porta-kabin changing rooms?

Headingley has 4 sets of changing rooms in the rugby side alone, plus the cricket facilities. Not sure about Saints and Wire either mate.

I'd imagine they are being chosen because they are high standard RL controlled facilities. Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull all share with (and dare I say play second fiddle to) football teams meaning an extra layer of complexity is being added to scheduling. The NRL has, and Premier League is looking at, a limited number of approved host venues which is probably where we're headed also.

24 minutes ago, SL17 said:

They would be exposing two bubbles.  Most dual reg train with their parent club.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Another reason why pro/rel this year is increasingly impossible if teams can't operate on the basis that they constructed their squads for the season. 

On 22/05/2020 at 08:11, Angelic Cynic said:

I hope our 'experts' are on the ball...

Like our experts in the RFL/SL are always, they usually are in cloud cookoo land at the best of time, forgetting this is a game for the fans.

Marwan Koukash quit because he wasn't making enough money to support his Chester based Racehorses, all the other chairperson have their reasons, & none of them want to see a 32-40, team, league system, all they are doing it for are the Sky Superleague Money, because very, very little of that gets sprinkled down in a good season.

Expansion at the cost of others is the Superleague Mantra, whoever they are.

Ottowa & New York & Algiers (?), rather than Swinton, Oldham, Hunslet, York or Cumbria

Archived