Ryan Hall should be back playing in the NRL for many weeks.

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Has he been ruled out?

This article was updated just 90 minutes ago and he is still listed as playing after the Cowboys game squad was reduced down to 19.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/07/08/updated-team-list-round-9-v-roosters/

It was reported he had injured his Ankle at training and was out, unless he had a quick recovery.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Allora said:

It was reported he had injured his Ankle at training and was out, unless he had a quick recovery.

We will see in the morning I guess (out time!)

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Has he been ruled out?

This article was updated just 90 minutes ago and he is still listed as playing after the Cowboys game squad was reduced down to 19.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2020/07/08/updated-team-list-round-9-v-roosters/

That certainly looks like compelling evidence.

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

In tomorrow’s game Ryan Hall will be marking either the top NRL tryscorer, Kyle Feldt, or former NFL apprentice, “My Sunny Valentine” Holmes. Whichever of these two stars it is, Ryan Hall will need to play at his best if he is to contain them.

If it's Feldt I would say lump on for Hall to bag at least 1 try because Feldt's defence is shocking.

42 minutes ago, DeadShotKeen said:

If it's Feldt I would say lump on for Hall to bag at least 1 try because Feldt's defence is shocking.

More Esan Marsters defence is shocking and feldt is always left on his own with a 3 players overlap. Marsters always rushes the player with the ball and leaves his winger high and dry, that’s why the tigers dropped him. I feel sorry for feldt defending beside that spud.

9 hours ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Brett Morris? For mine the best winger of all time.

That's a big call.  While a very good player I don't think I have ever heard Morris being described as the best winger of all time before.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

To be fair Hall hasn't done much wrong when he played, he just hasn't had any luck with the timing of the injuries and severity of the first before he went then when opportunities look likely, you have the likes of the Morris boys in great form and the door has been shut which must be frustrating.

I did wonder when he signed whether Roosters was the right choice of club for him; with their abundance of three quarter talent and as others have said whilst Hall was certainly up there with the very best wingers in the world between 2010 and 2016,his last couple of seasons with leeds you could see a slight decline in his game so moving to the NRL in his 30s was always going to be a tough task to be seen as gun player for the best team in the comp.

Hopefully he does get a fair run now and can make a mark and show some glimpses of what we all know he is capable of.

25 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

To be fair Hall hasn't done much wrong when he played, he just hasn't had any luck with the timing of the injuries and severity of the first before he went then when opportunities look likely, you have the likes of the Morris boys in great form and the door has been shut which must be frustrating.

I did wonder when he signed whether Roosters was the right choice of club for him; with their abundance of three quarter talent and as others have said whilst Hall was certainly up there with the very best wingers in the world between 2010 and 2016,his last couple of seasons with leeds you could see a slight decline in his game so moving to the NRL in his 30s was always going to be a tough task to be seen as gun player for the best team in the comp.

Hopefully he does get a fair run now and can make a mark and show some glimpses of what we all know he is capable of.

The Roosters thought he was the right choice, signed him and then he got injured.

Already mentioned that they favour the opposite wing to attack.  Maybe Ryan shoving a few tries away will change that.

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Had a try on the hooter chalked off for a forward pass! 

Unlucky considering the bloke on the other wing scored 5 tries in the same game. 

Hall hardly gets a pass on the right wing... switches to the left and hardly gets a pass while the guy on the right scores 5 tries.

Has he been kicking black cats under ladders!

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Hall hardly gets a pass on the right wing... switches to the left and hardly gets a pass while the guy on the right scores 5 tries.

Has he been kicking black cats under ladders!

As disappointing as it is for Hall it would've been crazy for the Roosters not to keep attacking that left edge 'defence' of the Cowboys - shocking effort. That's not a slight on Ikavalu either - he finished some of them great! 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

As disappointing as it is for Hall it would've been crazy for the Roosters not to keep attacking that left edge 'defence' of the Cowboys - shocking effort. That's not a slight on Ikavalu either - he finished some of them great! 

Of course, just luck of the draw. I am very sure that the Roosters are basing their attack on how to best exploit their opponents weaknesses rather than a plan not to pass to Hall.

Be interesting to see which winger keeps their place, if B Morris is back next week. Robinson clearly likes a lot of things that Hall brings to the side but can you drop a winger who's just scored 5 tries, a couple of which were superbly finished?

I've watched the games and it seems they never go to Hall...part of the problem is that Morris is a true ball hog...in hockey we have such players and they are called puck hogs, always shoot to the net for a possible goal when they should pass (at least sometimes).

Its either that or they don't like having an Englishman on the team....its happened too many times for it to just be coincidence.

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Of course, just luck of the draw. I am very sure that the Roosters are basing their attack on how to best exploit their opponents weaknesses rather than a plan not to pass to Hall.

After all our analysis I still don’t know . Wherever he is they seem to favour the other wing . Do they not view him as a potent weapon ? Maybe what they’ve seen of him hasn’t convinced them  .Do they just want the hard yards out of him ? Yes it’s valid you exploit opposition weakness but primarily you should utilise your  own strengths . Doesn’t seem he’s seen as one. But if you’re not getting lots of good ball and try scoring chances how can you push your case ? I feel his Roosters time is gonna come and go and he’s hardly  gonna have done anything , not all through his own fault , which is a bit of a shame . He took the plunge and had a go

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

After all our analysis I still don’t know . Wherever he is they seem to favour the other wing . Do they not view him as a potent weapon ? Maybe what they’ve seen of him hasn’t convinced them  .Do they just want the hard yards out of him ? Yes it’s valid you exploit opposition weakness but primarily you should utilise your  own strengths . Doesn’t seem he’s seen as one. But if you’re not getting lots of good ball and try scoring chances how can you push your case ? I feel his Roosters time is gonna come and go and he’s hardly  gonna have done anything , not all through his own fault , which is a bit of a shame . He took the plunge and had a go

I'm just watching the game through now after having it in the background earlier.

The Roosters tried some shifts left, particularly early in the game but they made handling errors and threw forward passes. Some poor execution that you don't normally see from them with Hall waiting on the wing.

Then, they had loads of success going right.

I think the reaction of the Roosters players when the potential try in the final play was chalked off... they seemed genuinely gutted for Hall that he didn't get that try.

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm just watching the game through now after having it in the background earlier.

The Roosters tried some shifts left, particularly early in the game but they made handling errors and threw forward passes. Some poor execution that you don't normally see from them with Hall waiting on the wing.

I think the reaction of the Roosters players when the potential try in the final play was chalked off... they seemed genuinely gutted for Hall that he didn't get that try.

That’s the other factor you just can’t control . The luck of the game . If it really does balance out then I hope he experiences that 

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

But it is not a one game thing....ever since the restart he has gotten little if any ball....Morris is a real ball hog and won't give it out to Hall ever, unless its a dogs breakfast with no room on the sideline....someone needs to have a talk with Morris.

Angus Crichton is a big part of Hall's try drought. He normally plays right and along with Manu he is a massive running threat and so the ball doesn't hit the wing often.

Today, with Boyd Corder rested he moved to the left edge and again a lot of the ball went to him and didn't get out wider. Oh, and he dropped a few as well.

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

But it is not a one game thing....ever since the restart he has gotten little if any ball....Morris is a real ball hog and won't give it out to Hall ever, unless its a dogs breakfast with no room on the sideline....someone needs to have a talk with Morris.

Why would he pass when there’s no point to? There’s no space for the winger and only a threat of him getting bundled into touch. In my opinion the biggest weakness of the cowboys are their edge defences and their right edge in particular due to Esan Marsters always rushing out of the line at the player with the ball and leaving Feldt on his own. Last night he didn’t do that, he must have copped a spray by the coach during the week. The cowboys left edge though was absolutely dreadful. Any winger would’ve scored 5 tries had they been on the left.

15 minutes ago, Aussie Bronco said:

Why would he pass when there’s no point to? There’s no space for the winger and only a threat of him getting bundled into touch. In my opinion the biggest weakness of the cowboys are their edge defences and their right edge in particular due to Esan Marsters always rushing out of the line at the player with the ball and leaving Feldt on his own. Last night he didn’t do that, he must have copped a spray by the coach during the week. The cowboys left edge though was absolutely dreadful. Any winger would’ve scored 5 tries had they been on the left.

True enough for the game against the Cowboys but its not a one game thing...there is a pattern...it is troubling.  Hall needs to keep working hard and giving it a go..but there is definitely something going on...and its been going on for a number of games.  Sure sometimes Morris has a defender right on top of him so he eats the ball (always after he gives his own move and gets eaten up though) but there are many other times since the season restart when he and others could just catch and then pass to Hall...but it never happens...at least give the guy one clean pass in 5 games!!!!!!.....let him have a clean go of it.....give him a chance.....

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

True enough for the game against the Cowboys but its not a one game thing...there is a pattern...it is troubling.  Hall needs to keep working hard and giving it a go..but there is definitely something going on...and its been going on for a number of games.  Sure sometimes Morris has a defender right on top of him so he eats the ball (always after he gives his own move and gets eaten up though) but there are many other times since the season restart when he and others could just catch and then pass to Hall...but it never happens...at least give the guy one clean pass in 5 games!!!!!!.....let him have a clean go of it.....give him a chance.....

I don’t buy into this conspiracy theory that the roosters aren’t giving Hall a chance. He’s simply just been unlucky, his time will come 

1 hour ago, Cliff Promise said:

How long does Hall have left on his deal?

I saw a while back he was linked with Toronto

His contract ends this Season.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived