Promotion Criteria Publicised

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree Scubby, put them in SL for next season that gets my vote, honest.

Toulouse is a free hit. Leigh would benefit hugely from getting their heads down during what will still be a massively disrupted 2021 in terms of crowds. They would be favourites for promotion and would go into SL 2022 with a heap of momentum. I would say a similar thing applies to Fev.

It would only take a run of heavy losses early in SL (maybe still behind closed doors) for those two clubs to lose 2-3 years of momentum. It may also sting them financially despite the £1m

Promoted club in 2022 will also get £1.5m I would assume (unless the plan from now on is to kneecap every club that goes up)?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/11/2020 at 14:32, Harry Stottle said:

Would your hoped for increase to 14 clubs in 2022 still be relevant it did not include Bradford and Toulouse?

But your logic does make me smile, all along your goodself and Tommy and have been 'liking' each others comments when it has been mentioned by either that the SL clubs are insular only thinking about themselves by offering reduced funding to the incoming 12th team, so why should the SL clubs in an expected reduced television contract expand to 14 clubs thus taking a less share of the funding? 

Very Parkyesque.

22 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Toulouse is a free hit. Leigh would benefit hugely from getting their heads down during what will still be a massively disrupted 2021 in terms of crowds. They would be favourites for promotion and would go into SL 2022 with a heap of momentum. I would say a similar thing applies to Fev.

It would only take a run of heavy losses early in SL (maybe still behind closed doors) for those two clubs to lose 2-3 years of momentum. It may also sting them financially despite the £1m

Promoted club in 2022 will also get £1.5m I would assume (unless the plan from now on is to kneecap every club that goes up)?

I just hope damage isn't done to Toulouse. No disrespect to any of the others in contention, but I hope to see Toulouse play a big part in SL over the coming years, I hope they know what they are doing. 

20 hours ago, Scubby said:

Wow, 11 clubs who may be relegated invite 1 Championship club (who can then be relegated) to play in SL with 60% of the funding of other clubs. If this Championship clubs gets into financial difficulties during 2021, the said 11 clubs can also vote to kick them out of SL.

This is a hatchet job. 

And why not... do you expect one or other of them to hatchet themselves?

We struggle to sustain 12 clubs.  Wakefield and Cas plus  Fev are like ferrets in a sack.  The 2 Hull clubs ditto.

Any club going up would be bonkers to spend ...  Take the money and run.

The hostage to fortune is saying there would be promotion and relegation in 2022.   Any possibility of expanding the game with P & R as a millstone round our necks is a non starter.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I just hope damage isn't done to Toulouse. No disrespect to any of the others in contention, but I hope to see Toulouse play a big part in SL over the coming years, I hope they know what they are doing. 

The offer really should include ring fencing for a couple of years.

10 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The offer really should include ring fencing for a couple of years.

Due to the lateness of the decision and the reduced funding the successful club should be exempt from relegation next season,so P&R should be suspended until 2022.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Due to the lateness of the decision and the reduced funding the successful club should be exempt from relegation next season,so P&R should be suspended until 2022.

Or club 11 should be considered for relegation should the new club finish bottom

It’s classic that the applications forms went out and applications welcomed before the criteria were established. I have zero confidence that SL have any sensible plan or know what they’re doing with this. 

And for the record if you could bet on it I’d be backing London as the one they’ll choose. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s classic that the applications forms went out and applications welcomed before the criteria were established. I have zero confidence that SL have any sensible plan or know what they’re doing with this. 

And for the record if you could bet on it I’d be backing London as the one they’ll choose. 

I think Bradford aligns with Elstone's vision for Super League to be strong across the North of England, particularly being a city with no large scale football competition and a bit of a throwback to his earlier RFL days with their success. York too to a lesser extent.

I'm not really sure what he thinks of London to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The biggest question is Zoom or Teams. Which will the Magnificent 7 use to discuss the applications?

Names on folded pieces of paper,thrown in the air,furthest away wins.

Whether all teams will be on the paper is another thing.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think Bradford aligns with Elstone's vision for Super League to be strong across the North of England, particularly being a city with no large scale football competition and a bit of a throwback to his earlier RFL days with their success. York too to a lesser extent.

I'm not really sure what he thinks of London to be honest. 

I think London are the reason they put the average gate requirement at a pathetically low 2k, plus they can point to expansion if they go with them. 
I’d absolutely love to see a thriving Bradford back in SL but given that they have nowhere to play and haven’t challenged for promotion on the pitch for some time I can’t see it happening, the likes of Leigh and Fev could quite rightly kick off if it did. 

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Names on folded pieces of paper,thrown in the air,furthest away wins.

Whether all teams will be on the paper is another thing.

There’ll be one team on all 7 bits of paper if that happens. Anyway isn’t it fewer than 7 now, Halifax have certainly pulled out. 

25 minutes ago, Eddie said:

London is certainly where the money is.  Hughes has stuck by the club and imo they really should be doing better than they have.  

18 minutes ago, LeeF said:

The biggest question is Zoom or Teams. Which will the Magnificent 7 use to discuss the applications?

I bet it would be the 40 minute free Zoom if its Zoom.. they're not paying for anything more! 

The neutral chairman's internet is a bit ropey towards the end so Elstone informs hum by email of the outcome as they took a vote when his internet was "down".

48 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yes, it would only be fair if it was suspended for all for 2021, but that is harsh on other Champ clubs looking to fight for promotion. But I think we need pragmatism in these times. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think London are the reason they put the average gate requirement at a pathetically low 2k, plus they can point to expansion if they go with them. 
I’d absolutely love to see a thriving Bradford back in SL but given that they have nowhere to play and haven’t challenged for promotion on the pitch for some time I can’t see it happening, the likes of Leigh and Fev could quite rightly kick off if it did. 

Could say the same about Toulouse as London really. 

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Can’t see the likes of Wakey or HKR going with that (unless you believe the charade of this being an independent decision). 

Well exactly, though it wouldn't surprise me if Super League turned on them.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that would take a lot of the pressure off of this decision.

But you do create an unsavoury situation for another club. This worked with Catalans when they went through a timely process, but to rush it through and relegate 11th would be problematic. 

I think if you were going down this route, you protect everyone for 12m.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But you do create an unsavoury situation for another club. This worked with Catalans when they went through a timely process, but to rush it through and relegate 11th would be problematic. 

Potentially, though I think that adds a hell of a lot more pressure on this decision!

We really need to put the idea to bed now that London is still expansion, they've been round long enough now. And the only reason they could be characterised in that way is the Us & Them rubbish. They should be them by being Southern but since Leigh went blue maybe that's not so much the case. Although Toulouse is no more expansion than London they are french so can be labelled "Leave!"

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This would be a paramount consideration for consolidation. But as they're very likely to be decreasing the number in SL so the money's easier to divide by ten, especially if there's less of it, he's already said P&R. This will  give the game away about how they're approaching the Sky/TV contracts if nothing else.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived