Promotion Criteria Publicised

53 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If you are going to promote Bradford because you want them in from a strategic point of view then it would only work in my mind if they were given a year’s special dispensation where they couldn’t be relegated.

At least that would allow for some all round planning on and off the field.

From a sporting perspective though it would be less than ideal.

If that was available every Championship club and their suppoerters would be willing to take the step up, anyway it would not be fair on the incumbant SL clubs in a P&R format.

I would be as much against that as I would with it being awarded to French teams as some would have it, in my opinion if a club plays in a league system that has P&R they play to the competitions final placings, no concessions.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

The CCJ served earlier this year relates to events in 2019. 

Out of interest has anyone got an original picture of section E from the criteria rather than a link to the document? And if so what was the date it were taken?

Well their squad's been improved by signing Dan Fleming.....😉

Rules are rules is a sreen saver approach, it represents a one size fits all approach but is nice because it lets believers off any responsibility. It's also nice that so many people are so passionate about something that is so likely to affect them.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you think that it has already been decided,  and if so who?

"We'd like a totally independent decision of Bradford Bulls, please!"

Does that help?

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

My question was relating to all the teams that are being considered not just Bradford Oxy.

There are other teams in the mix ? After support base will be crucial and some criteria will have more weighting than others? Have you checked your facts, Harry? Do you have all the available data?  Given depression on the horizon do SL chairmen have a choice that isn't Hobson's?

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If that was available every Championship club and their suppoerters would be willing to take the step up, anyway it would not be fair on the incumbant SL clubs in a P&R format.

I would be as much against that as I would with it being awarded to French teams as some would have it, in my opinion if a club plays in a league system that has P&R they play to the competitions final placings, no concessions.

For reasons that have been stated elsewhere on this thread a week ago not every Championship club brings to the table what Bradford could or as quickly - particular in terms of fanbase.

I know you’re holding out for a true meritocracy, but we have good reason to believe a short term decision could be taken by SL that would have little to do with that, or indeed what’s actually good for a club like Bradford as has been outlined on here by their fans.

If we are effectively allowing SL clubs to choose a competitor it’s likely they’re to choose someone who is unlikely to compete with them.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Honest question Tommy, who do you think is the preferred choice, have you decided yet, you keep suggesting that it is a done deal,  or is the book still open at Gilfs betting shop?

Preferred choice? 

Bradford. From enough sources it seems they are favoured by a number of key people for various reasons - many of them the same as why they were kept in the Championship in 2017.

Personally, they'd be my joint last  favourite along with Fev and York right now. But that counts for little.

I suppose it comes down to whether Bradford can convince others and indeed themselves they're worthy. From circumstantial evidence and rumour at least, it seems they have 1 foot in the door (or grave depending on your perspective).

Edit: I also think they'll produce a report too 😉

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

a short term decision

From the RFL & SL? They'd never just go for a quick fix, it'll for now and we'll sort the rest out later decision making process surely!

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

From the RFL & SL? They'd never just go for a quick fix, it'll for now and we'll sort the rest out later decision making process surely!

To be honest I bet most if not all of the SL clubs are in a weary financial state due to COVID-19.

That, on top of the usual of the usual survival instinct in terms of staying in Super League, is probably what doomed Toronto as much as anything.

The clubs need money now and will probably want the winning candidate to bring an immediate financial reward.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

To be honest I bet most if not all of the SL clubs are in a weary financial state due to COVID-19.

That, on top of the usual of the usual survival instinct in terms of staying in Super League, is probably what doomed Toronto as much as anything.

The clubs need money now and will probably want the winning candidate to bring an immediate financial reward.

I'd say you're spot on there Gerrum.

It doomed TWP both internally and externally.

They will be desperate for money and that will be the preeminant thing.

However, the coming economic downturn is more like to be a depression than a double dip recession and it is already murdered swaths of the economy.

That is most likelt to effect the north and some other areas very badly indeed so our support base may reduced drastically, so even sticking the Bulls in may not be as advantageous as it appears.

I am not only worried about the possibility of Bradford being parachuted into SL (Bonkers decision if made) but also the Catalan Dragons who have paid out thousands more than any other SL club to continue this season (Private jets) and now have had to go cap in hand to the French government for funding.

This does not bode well for Toulouse chances however now that it seems a vaccine is on its way lets hope that common sense prevails:)

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I am not only worried about the possibility of Bradford being parachuted into SL (Bonkers decision if made) but also the Catalan Dragons who have paid out thousands more than any other SL club to continue this season (Private jets) and now have had to go cap in hand to the French government for funding.

This does not bode well for Toulouse chances however now that it seems a vaccine is on its way lets hope that common sense prevails:)

That common sense Atlantisman where does the solution lie? Leigh!

42 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Given depression on the horizon do SL chairmen have a choice that isn't Hobson's?

19 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If we are effectively allowing SL clubs to choose a competitor it’s likely they’re to choose someone who is unlikely to compete with them.

I thought that there was a panel of 8 people (is that correct) that have been given the job of selecting one of the Championship clubs to be invited into SL next season, it is not a vote of the SL clubs to choose one if the candidates.

Do the people on the panel have connections with the SL clubs? And if I am correct that the panel is populated by 8 people and tteycare connected which 3 SL clubs are not represented, Saints, Leeds and Catalans perhaps!

8 minutes ago, Oxford said:

That common sense Atlantisman where does the solution lie? Leigh!

GOD KNOWS though IMHO they will say this is for stability during troubled times with a vague promise of going to 14 teams down the line.

All depends on the major SL clubs personally speaking I think that although Hull FC voted against TR and Warrington abstained that they will join up with Leeds/St Helens and Wigan in forcing a decision that they want.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I thought that there was a panel of 8 people (is that correct) that have been given the job of selecting one of the Championship clubs to be invited into SL next season, it is not a vote of the SL clubs to choose one if the candidates.

Do the people on the panel have connections with the SL clubs? And if I am correct that the panel is populated by 8 people and tteycare connected which 3 SL clubs are not represented, Saints, Leeds and Catalans perhaps!

3 reps from RFL, 3 from SL.  Overseen by the Lord.

26 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I thought that away fans don't matter? 

If that is the case Leigh have very good away support, so having on the doorstep Wigan, Saints and Wire plus Salford, will those 3 leading clubs have any influence on the decision, that is if course SL clubs are directing the choice of club.

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I suppose it comes down to whether Bradford can convince others and indeed themselves they're worthy. From circumstantial evidence and rumour at least, it seems they have 1 foot in the door (or grave depending on your perspective

You jest, Tommy, but I think that could actually happen, I really do.

It is a proven fact over the past decades that Odsal is totally unsustainable. What would make it any more viable now? Especially given it has laid abandoned and crumbling for the past year?

It doesn't make any sense

4 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

What if TO, Leigh and London drop out?  That leaves a virtually guaranteed relegation for whoever takes the 12th.  I say this, based on TWP who beat all the above and we’re heading for the bottom spot anyway.

Yes, that would be likely, but York are applying off their own back for example, and if everyone else pulled out and SL were happy to admit them, then fair enough. 

They may be happy to gamble on being able to spend the £1m funding to pull together a team that avoids relegation, or they may just use it as a season to test the water in the top flight. 

I'd be more concerned about these kind of decisions if this was a licensing approach into a ring-fenced comp, but club strength will right this over the coming years in any case, rightly or wrongly. 

Whether we like it or not, this is about getting 12 teams providing 6 games a round. 

19 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

GOD KNOWS though IMHO they will say this is for stability during troubled times with a vague promise of going to 14 teams down the line.

All depends on the major SL clubs personally speaking I think that although Hull FC voted against TR and Warrington abstained that they will join up with Leeds/St Helens and Wigan in forcing a decision that they want.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

I was writing my post re 'influential' clubs when you posted this.

Archived