Newcastle submit Championship application

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It’s a shame that there aren’t quite enough clubs to make a strong League One, and too many to have them all the pretenders in the Championship. A 14-14-14 set up would be ideal but we’re a few clubs short. 

This is the real problem, you could not only make a case for Newcastle and Barrow being moved up, but also Workington and Doncaster (both of whom for some reason get forgotten about). They are all too big for L1, which is in effect 2 leagues within 1, but if you move them all up then the Championship is too large and L1 too small. I didn’t mention Rochdale, who also seem to be transforming under Mr Mazey, or indeed Hunslet, as I’m not sure of their plans but yes the structure no longer seems to work the way it was planned to, if indeed it ever was planned.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

That's an entirely subjective opinion based on a squad that had just been relegated. 

I'd have thought as a "neutral fan" you'd want a bit more from a chosen club.

Its not the squad that has been relegated though is it? They've recruited massively and they arent loan players. So who would you like to see promoted and what is your opinion based on? I'm interested to know your opinion rather than seeing you pick everyone else's apart 👍

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That's an entirely subjective opinion based on a squad that had just been relegated. 

I'd have thought as a "neutral fan" you'd want a bit more from a chosen club.

The squad we have now isn't the same as the one that got relegated we have recruited excellently and still have one or two more to come. Surely a club having their own players is more sustainable than a load of loan players?

9 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Its not the squad that has been relegated though is it? They've recruited massively and they arent loan players. So who would you like to see promoted and what is your opinion based on? I'm interested to know your opinion rather than seeing you pick everyone else's apart 👍

Its not personal, if you don't want your opinions picked apart this is the wrong forum!

I believe I said it on this thread initially, Newcastle are my preferred option given the opportunity to select a team.

40 minutes ago, UpTheRaiders said:

The squad we have now isn't the same as the one that got relegated we have recruited excellently and still have one or two more to come. Surely a club having their own players is more sustainable than a load of loan players?

Or one with an academy is more sustainable? Its totally subjective 

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Its not personal, if you don't want your opinions picked apart this is the wrong forum!

I believe I said it on this thread initially, Newcastle are my preferred option given the opportunity to select a team.

Opinions arent something to be 'picked apart' though but we'll disagree on that. Have a good night 👍

6 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Oh right, not that Barrow have the better squad of their own players rather than loan players then

Don't know where your getting the idea that Newcastle Thunders squad is full of loan players and not there own. Of the squad announced for 2021 so far there is a grand total of one player on loan, Connor Bailey from Wakefield for the season.

17 minutes ago, UpTheRaiders said:

We have a very successful academy too 5 lads have graduated to first team squad 3 of them being regular first teamers

The difference is that the Thunder's academy is RFL accredited and play in the Super League Academy League. Of the Thunder's squad announced for 2021 so far 5 have come through the academy while a sixth from last season, Sam Luckley has just stepped up to the Super League signing for Salford. Also back in February the England National Academy performance squad contained 4 Thunder Academy players, only 5 Super League teams provided more!

1 hour ago, NERugbyDad said:

The difference is that the Thunder's academy is RFL accredited and play in the Super League Academy League. Of the Thunder's squad announced for 2021 so far 5 have come through the academy while a sixth from last season, Sam Luckley has just stepped up to the Super League signing for Salford. Also back in February the England National Academy performance squad contained 4 Thunder Academy players, only 5 Super League teams provided more!

I think a play off between Newcastle and Barrow should decide it but looking through the squads I do not think Newcastle would fancy it. Barrow look certs for auto promotion as they did this season and have added even more top quality for next season. They look far better from 1 to 17 to stay up in my opinion. But we will have to see later today. If its Newcastle then fair enough but it will just delay the inevitable for Barrow and they will earn their way up and replace Newcastle in 2022. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

I think a play off between Newcastle and Barrow should decide it but looking through the squads I do not think Newcastle would fancy it. Barrow look certs for auto promotion as they did this season and have added even more top quality for next season. They look far better from 1 to 17 to stay up in my opinion. But we will have to see later today. If its Newcastle then fair enough but it will just delay the inevitable for Barrow and they will earn their way up and replace Newcastle in 2022. 

So a play off , just played out of the blue ?

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So a play off , just played out of the blue ?

Any reason why not? There is very little between them so why not let the two favourites compete for it on the pitch, it's no more fair or unfair tha 1 going up automatic is it? I willalso give the answer to who is more equipped on the pitch to compete. 

I reckon League 1 will be a fantastic competition next season and could be really tight at the top with the usual suspects up there and Keighley chucked in to the mix as well. To be fair to Newcastle this is probably their best chance of promotion to the championship for a couple of seasons as their squad does not look good enough to compete near the top. Going up this season may give them a chance although they would be unlikely to stay up but you never know with the Championship.

2 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I reckon League 1 will be a fantastic competition next season and could be really tight at the top with the usual suspects up there and Keighley chucked in to the mix as well. To be fair to Newcastle this is probably their best chance of promotion to the championship for a couple of seasons as their squad does not look good enough to compete near the top. Going up this season may give them a chance although they would be unlikely to stay up but you never know with the Championship.

Also they have under achieved in the last 3 or 4 seasons given signings and cash spent and were thumped in one playoff final by Barrow not long ago. 

Archived