Season Delay confirmed

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Its not a s daft as it sounds - when we were allowed into pubs but only with people from your own household, there was actually an exemption in the rules that said you can meet with people from outside your household is it was for work purposes. such as a meeting.

I don’t think it sounds daft at all. I think as long as you can show it’s not a loophole for the ‘mixing when drinking’ argument that is used for pub closures, you have a good workaround 👍

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over 120 years of participation in the challenge cup effectively gone at the stroke of a pen as league one season wont start until two months after the challenge cup starts.

They could quite easily have pushed the start of the challenge cup back to may...if they cared. But assuming crowds are back they will be begging us to buy tickets for the final. More chance of me sending the money to twickers Im afraid. 

2 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Over 120 years of participation in the challenge cup effectively gone at the stroke of a pen as league one season wont start until two months after the challenge cup starts.

They could quite easily have pushed the start of the challenge cup back to may...if they cared. But assuming crowds are back they will be begging us to buy tickets for the final. More chance of me sending the money to twickers Im afraid. 

It’s not like the RFL are imposing this on clubs. The League One clubs were consulted and agreed to the delay

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Not arguing against delaying the start of the season. My concern is the the plan for the challenge cup does not accommodate that delay.

League One clubs have agreed to the delay and with that agreed to dropping out of the cup. So the cup does then fit??

No they havent agreed to dropping out of the cup....they can still enter but will have to play two months before the start of their regular season.

Obviously you have little interest in league one...thats fine....the big boys can carry on regardless....but where will you be on final day if your team isnt there.

RFL dont want overseas teams in the comp...worried they might get to final and not bring many fans, and now they dont want league one teams.

Maybe just have Wigan, Saints, Leeds and Wire play for it between themselves.

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

No they havent agreed to dropping out of the cup....they can still enter but will have to play two months before the start of their regular season.

Obviously you have little interest in league one...thats fine....the big boys can carry on regardless....but where will you be on final day if your team isnt there.

RFL dont want overseas teams in the comp...worried they might get to final and not bring many fans, and now they dont want league one teams.

Maybe just have Wigan, Saints, Leeds and Wire play for it between themselves.

The point is League One clubs knew the consequences of AGREEING to delay the start of the season. If they really wanted to play in the cup they wouldn’t have AGREED to the delay. Its in their direction you should vent your frustration. Not everything is the RFLs fault

23 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

So were they offered the alternative of a delayed start to challenge cup?  I think not...more like this it how it will be...now you can like it ...or lump it.

That's how life is at the moment.

It's nobody's fault.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I think it might be as well to avoid conspiracy or even bias theories as much as possible in the face of the Hobson's Choice (alway work in a Salford reference) that Covid presents us with.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The priority has to be a World Cup that runs as close-to-schedule, and with the least amount of disruption possible surely? If the Cup and the league have too be meddled with a little in what is a once-in-a-generation crisis, then so be it. Not nice for those clubs of course, but it's for the greater good.

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

The priority has to be a World Cup that runs as close-to-schedule, and with the least amount of disruption possible surely? If the Cup and the league have too be meddled with a little in what is a once-in-a-generation crisis, then so be it. Not nice for those clubs of course, but it's for the greater good.

Correct 

29 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

So were they offered the alternative of a delayed start to challenge cup?  I think not...more like this it how it will be...now you can like it ...or lump it.

They could have started at same time as championship and competed in the cup alongside league fixtures, but chose a further delay and not go in cup. I think you’re getting outraged over nothing. 

SL will vote on Friday about whether to reduce the season:

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-clubs-to-vote-on-shortened-season/

Hopefully they do, properly managed it doesn't have to reduce the TV content and Sky money.

They are also getting an update on the TV contract and the Private Equity offer - "update" suggests no decision required on either yet.

22 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

To be fair can they delay the start of the cup and still fit it in with the weekends they need? bearing in mind Wembley is pretty busy this summer supposedly with the Euros.. 

Life is very strange at the moment and everyone is being forced to make very difficult decisions.. grand scheme of things, if this is your biggest gripe at the moment then you are coming out of this whole situation in a very lucky position.

perhaps just a little bit of perspective may be needed. 

43 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

All in favour of sacrifices....but whatever happened to ‘we are all in this together’ - good luck to Sheffield and Warrington in the cup I suppose.

My point is that i dont really see what else can be done given the situation, therefore i dont see the point in getting annoyed about it.

While it is disappointing there are community clubs that also will not be able to take part in it.. but you're not up in arms about that (or at least not included them in your posts)

Im not looking at this from the point of 2 clubs that I follow, I'm looking at it from the pragmatic point of view that you cant really move it and therefore need to just do the best that you can do.. like any business is doing to desperately stay alive in these situations. "we're all in this together" does not mean that difficult decisions dont have to be made and actually allowing the league one clubs to not have to get going so quickly and therefore take advantage of govt help where they can may be the best thing for them.

Assuming the final cannot be moved there isnt much choice in the matter..

If Sheffield ends up not being able to take part I will not get upset about it either, if Warrington dont then we're in a whole other large amount of trouble.. 

47 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

All in favour of sacrifices....but whatever happened to ‘we are all in this together’ - good luck to Sheffield and Warrington in the cup I suppose.

What is your proposed solution to this?

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What is your proposed solution to this?

They've already stated they should delay the start of the challenge cup but without then discussing the knock on effect and how that then has to be managed. Its the problem we have had throughout this entire pandemic and at all levels.. there is a simple solution to a specific problem and people just see that moment in time, they dont see the knock on effect. People are doing a huge amount of planning behind the scenes with "what if" scenarios, all of which stop quick decisions (another thing people complain about).. when asked what they would do followed up with "but what about..." then they often start to realise this is a vastly complicated situation. 

2 hours ago, RP London said:

They've already stated they should delay the start of the challenge cup but without then discussing the knock on effect and how that then has to be managed. Its the problem we have had throughout this entire pandemic and at all levels.. there is a simple solution to a specific problem and people just see that moment in time, they dont see the knock on effect. People are doing a huge amount of planning behind the scenes with "what if" scenarios, all of which stop quick decisions (another thing people complain about).. when asked what they would do followed up with "but what about..." then they often start to realise this is a vastly complicated situation. 

Indeed. It's not a proper thought through solution. 

We also can't get away from the fact that if things don't improve this year then like last year the likes of the L1 clubs will end up not playing again, or playing far later and whenever they can. The bigger clubs are the ones that will return to the field and play out the tournaments. That isn't dismissive of the L1 clubs, or disrespectful, it is an honest reading of where we are. There is a chance that L1 may not happen again, like it didn't last year - whereas it is very unlikely that the SL teams wont play, and if it means the cup has to be fulfilled with those teams again, then that is what will need to happen.

With the world cup, we need to be careful we don't push too much too late. The risk of nudging the cup is that if things go wrong we end up in a place where the cup ends up cancelled, and as we saw last year, the Cup Final at Wembley was one of the real highlights of the year, even in an empty stadium. It is important that this comp is delivered for the BBC, and it is too risk to push back and back and hiccups cause a cancellation.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. It's not a proper thought through solution. 

We also can't get away from the fact that if things don't improve this year then like last year the likes of the L1 clubs will end up not playing again, or playing far later and whenever they can. The bigger clubs are the ones that will return to the field and play out the tournaments. That isn't dismissive of the L1 clubs, or disrespectful, it is an honest reading of where we are. There is a chance that L1 may not happen again, like it didn't last year - whereas it is very unlikely that the SL teams wont play, and if it means the cup has to be fulfilled with those teams again, then that is what will need to happen.

With the world cup, we need to be careful we don't push too much too late. The risk of nudging the cup is that if things go wrong we end up in a place where the cup ends up cancelled, and as we saw last year, the Cup Final at Wembley was one of the real highlights of the year, even in an empty stadium. It is important that this comp is delivered for the BBC, and it is too risk to push back and back and hiccups cause a cancellation.

spot on.. well put

On 16/01/2021 at 11:43, Anita Bath said:

You are blaming the wrong people

6 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

If my club are unable to compete in this season’s cup then frankly I am not bothered. There are much bigger issues and COVID 19 aside the biggest single thing for the game in 2021 is the World Cup. A successful tournament would be a massive boost not only to the game but every single club not forgetting probably the country

Archived