The King has landed! (Merged Threads)

Was always fairly impressed with him when I saw him feature for the Warriors. Someone with potential and a 1 year deal offers incentive for him to show his worth. I expect him to go well over here, he looked strong in defence and carries the ball well. Certainly don’t expect another Wellington Albert!

Good luck to him, genuinely, and I am sure he is a nice bloke, but the press call him a "powerhouse", (better than a "wrecking ball" I suppose) which is a bit of a stretch when he has only played 5 games in the NRL.  He didn't keep a place in the NZ Warriors. Leeds will have to turn him into a late developer.

All of a sudden every player from a southern hemisphere island is world beater.

10 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Good luck to him, genuinely, and I am sure he is a nice bloke, but the press call him a "powerhouse", (better than a "wrecking ball" I suppose) which is a bit of a stretch when he has only played 5 games in the NRL.  He didn't keep a place in the NZ Warriors. Leeds will have to turn him into a late developer.

He didn’t keep his place in the side because he was one of a number of Warriors players who did not want to stay in the bio secure bubble in Australia away from family for the whole season, so returned back to NZ, along with Paasi, Maumalo and Fusitua

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

On the one hand, it is the Press and Clubs' jobs to sell signings and generate interest.

On the other hand, GB couldn't beat a PNG team littered with reserve graders and even part timers - so is it so much of a stretch in relative terms?

In any case he's on a one year deal. I'm sure Leeds have sold it as an opportunity to get plenty of first team rugby played before heading back down under after playing for Fiji in the World Cup. As Double D said his place in the side last season was to do with staying in Australia for the entire season.

Leeds needed a prop even if Tetevano actually arrives.  I'd frankly never heard of this guy, and watching the video he's not a big prop. Looks like one of those players somewhere between a prop and second row.  Leeds fans would be taking the proverbial if he signed for a supposedly smaller club.  At least its only a one-year deal.  

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

He’s played 3 times for Fiji and scored 5 tries in those 3 games. That and his size is good enough to make him a powerhouse for me.

He was a Union player who made a late switch to rugby league when living in New Zealand. Perhaps his lack of experience in playing league was a reason for his delayed NRL debut. He’s good enough to make the Fijian National side so I’m delighted to have him at Leeds.

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

On the one hand, it is the Press and Clubs' jobs to sell signings and generate interest.

On the other hand, GB couldn't beat a PNG team littered with reserve graders and even part timers - so is it so much of a stretch in relative terms?

In any case he's on a one year deal. I'm sure Leeds have sold it as an opportunity to get plenty of first team rugby played before heading back down under after playing for Fiji in the World Cup. As Double D said his place in the side last season was to do with staying in Australia for the entire season.

It is all grist to the mill, and I did allude to the 'wrecking ball', but i am not in the pay of the press or club chairmen, so I think I'm allowed to be a bit dubious.  But I do wish the bloke well I'm not doing him down, and maybe Leeds see him as a project. 

But let's be honest, if he chose to stay at home and not stay in Aussie, why is he now going all the way over to Leeds?  

Some are calling him a prop but I read he is a second row.  And didn't he start as a Wing? 

31 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Meh.... What is he getting paid? 

On previous form I assume 3 or 4 young local forwards could be funded on his contract? 

He's a never has-been

But we don't need 3-4 extra young local forwards, especially when we can get a Fijian international.

3 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

To clarify Tommy I mean 3 or 4 young local forwards with potential

Maybe one or all will kick on and be world beaters. Instead of being let go

Truth be told mate, all but 2 of the u17s are playing for free this year (and they have signed up for that through choice) and the 2 that are being paid are on apprentice wage £12k. I doubt it will mean any will be "let go". 

Player development isn't a charity and nor is professional sport. Leeds want to win things, the salary cap forces them to balance academy generated talent with imports (with a hard limit on overseas imports), that's fine with me.

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Player development isn't a charity and nor is professional sport. Leeds want to win things, the salary cap forces them to balance academy generated talent with imports (with a hard limit on overseas imports), that's fine with me.

I get that but I want English youngsters pushed. Leeds has the most young uns with potential who will get a yay or nay from the Rhinos at 18 or whatever. For me I want as many of them to be given thier chance into thier 20s

However, if I was a Rhino fan I'd probably prirotise immediate trophies like you so fair go chap. 

I dream of the day Broncos get to chuck away the talent that Sarries do

Archived