Dave Bolton R.I.P.

Padge

Former Wigan, Balmain and GB stand-off Dave Bolton has died over in Australia

Regarded as one of the greatest British stand-offs ever.

R.I.P. Dave

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Sad news.  RIP, Dave.

Checking back, I am intrigued to see that he actually played at full-back in the first game of rugby league I attended, Wigan's 15-4 defeat of Fev at Central Park in January, 1964.

37 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Sad news.  RIP, Dave.

Checking back, I am intrigued to see that he actually played at full-back in the first game of rugby league I attended, Wigan's 15-4 defeat of Fev at Central Park in January, 1964.

My older brother remembers talking about him.  I just missed him playing.  I seem to remember reading that both him and Boston played in the halves for a brief time when they scored a panful of tries.  Didnt he break a jaw or concussion (?) and get carried off at Wembley.

Another link to the past goes.

13 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

My older brother remembers talking about him.  I just missed him playing.  I seem to remember reading that both him and Boston played in the halves for a brief time when they scored a panful of tries.  Didnt he break a jaw or concussion (?) and get carried off at Wembley.

You may be thinking of Colin Tyrer.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

CRIP Dave Bolton. A very respected member of the Great Britain teams of the late 1950s and 1960s.

David Bolton was one of the many great British rugby league stars who had moved to Australia at the end of their playing careers, mostly for the pleasant climate and the healthy lifestyle. He could not have been that old.

2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

RIP Dave Bolton. A very respected member of the Great Britain teams of the 1960s.

David Bolton was one of the many great British rugby league stars who had moved to Australia at the end of their playing careers, mostly for the pleasant climate and the healthy lifestyle. He could not have been that old.

Born in 1937, so in his mid-Eighties.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Born in 1937, so in his mid-Eighties.

He was 83.

Played for Wigan 54-64 then Balmain 65-70

3 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

CRIP Dave Bolton. A very respected member of the Great Britain teams of the late 1950s and 1960s.

He like Dick Huddart were still in their 20s when they made the move and had great careers over there,they were arguably the best players in the game in their positions,hardly going for a holiday.

I remember Dave Bolton from when I was a small boy in the 50s he was a member of that great Wigan team of that period . He was one of those names from that Wigan team that rolled off the tongue

RIP Dave Bolton legendary Rugby League Great 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

12 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Sad news.  RIP, Dave.

He was moved to full-back by coach Griff Jenkins who preferred Stan McLeod at stand-off. He played full back in the 1963 CCF against Wakefield Trinity; one of my favourite players.

11 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

He was knocked unconscious and taken off in the 1963 CCF against Wakefield Trinity.

15 hours ago, Padge said:

You may be thinking of Colin Tyrer.

No.  I well remember Colin Tyrer. 1970.

(If anybody wants to see a real late high tackle then go and look at that)

I believe Bolton got injured, (a tackle I think)  in 1963 (?) against Wakefield. My memory has it of him being carried off very groggy. I believe he did not know what day of the week it was when Wakey scored a try.

5 hours ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

He was knocked unconscious and taken off in the 1963 CCF against Wakefield Trinity.

In those days, you were swilled down with a wet sponge and sent back on the pitch if you looked like you were semi-conscious. The subs were to be used in life or death situations, not to give someone a breather like today.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

No.  I well remember Colin Tyrer. 1970.

(If anybody wants to see a real late high tackle then go and look at that)

I believe Bolton got injured, (a tackle I think)  in 1963 (?) against Wakefield. My memory has it of him being carried off very groggy. I believe he did not know what day of the week it was when Wakey scored a try.

I was there for the Colin Tyrer one that's why it sprung to mind 63 was just a couple of years before my time. It seems your recollection was pretty good.

Archived