Dominic Young - Newcastle Knights

Now I've seen lots of young players come and go, but Dom Young the 6ft 5inch winger/Centre set up a superb try for his winger in the first trial match for the knights. 

He is a huge potential, which I guess why the knights have signed him, and with the senior brothers both at 6 foot 3,there is a lot coming out of Huddersfield giants 

Take a look at the two short clips on the knights site 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The storm said:

Now I've seen lots of young players come and go, but Dom Young the 6ft 5inch winger/Centre set up a superb try for his winger in the first trial match for the knights. 

He is a huge potential, which I guess why the knights have signed him, and with the senior brothers both at 6 foot 3,there is a lot coming out of Huddersfield giants 

Take a look at the two short clips on the knights site 

I hope he gets a chance in 1st grade this year. He is already a first team player at Huddersfield and physically he is a match for anyone.

With Bradman Best at left centre, I think there is a chance for him to get a stint at right centre this year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I was just looking at Dom Young's age, comparing him to Bradman Best who is the establishment left centre at the Knights.

Interestingly they are exactly the same age... both born on the 9th of August 2001.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

With Young,Wardle,Farnworth & Newman on the scene our once limited centre options look a lot healthier.

If they all have good seasons it will be interesting to see who if any Wane brings into the England squad.

Who else have we got? Gildart. Percival. Watkins. King. Connor (?). Some good competition there. 

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

In one sense it's great there's so much decent competition. In another sense, it's a shame cause it means there is no real standout! 

I was going to post similar. Its great to have so many young English centres, which for a long time wasn't the case, but just being young and English doesn't make them international class.

One critique i've had for a while is how some of our young talent don't quite look ready physically in comparison with many of the Aussie/Kiwi equivalents. Dom Young certainly looks like he's physically ready. A big tall lad with plenty of strength it seems.

Certainly one to keep an eye on.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Who else have we got? Gildart. Percival. Watkins. King. Connor (?). Some good competition there. 

Yeah at last some options at centre.

Gildart,probably 

Percival,not good enough 

Watkins will need a huge turnaround in form

King,looks solid,but isn’t going to scare the likes of Australia,NZ or Tonga.

Connor,undoubtedly our most creative outside back but can he hack it defensively ?

41 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

In one sense it's great there's so much decent competition. In another sense, it's a shame cause it means there is no real standout! 

36 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was going to post similar. Its great to have so many young English centres, which for a long time wasn't the case, but just being young and English doesn't make them international class.

Personally, I think there is a stand out there. Harry Newman.

He starred at age group level and even against an Australian side boasting the likes of Stephen Crichton and Bradman Best. Then as soon as he was in Super League he looked right at home riding high in the tackle busts and line breaks before the leg break ended his season early.

I think he will come back as strong as ever in 2021 and prove to be the best option for England. We need athleticism and speed in the backs and he has it in bucketloads.

DoM Young is 6’6” and has been superbly developed by The Giants Academy & Scholarship both as a player and as a man.

The Senior twins are both 6’5” not two inches shorter as stated by someone earlier. They are big lads with loads of talent and big frames, while they’re not overly muscular they will both develop into monsters by their mid 20s.

Jake Wardle is 6’3” and has been one of the hottest properties in his peer group for the last 8 years or so. Wigan, Sts, Leeds & Warrington have all made him offers to join them from Huddersfield during his Academy years but he’s stayed where he knows he’s getting the best development.

Its not coincidence that these big, talented athletes have all come through the Giants Academy at the same time and there are others too.

Under Andy Kelly The Giants Academy has gone from below average to Outstanding while also producing the following:

Jake Conner, Matty English, Jake Wardle, Dom Young, Sam Hewitt, Jon Luke Kirby, Innes Senior, Louis Senior, Darnell Macintosh, Oliver Russell, Sam Wood, Jack Richardson, Tyler Mellor, and Ronan Micheal have come through to first team level. While 3 or 4 have gone elsewhere the majority are in the 2021 Giants Super League Squad.

Great Credit to Andy Kelly for reinventing and forging the Giants Academy into what it is today.

15 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

DoM Young is 6’6” and has been superbly developed by The Giants Academy & Scholarship both as a player and as a man.

The Senior twins are both 6’5” not two inches shorter as stated by someone earlier. They are big lads with loads of talent and big frames, while they’re not overly muscular they will both develop into monsters by their mid 20s.

Jake Wardle is 6’3” and has been one of the hottest properties in his peer group for the last 8 years or so. Wigan, Sts, Leeds & Warrington have all made him offers to join them from Huddersfield during his Academy years but he’s stayed where he knows he’s getting the best development.

Its not coincidence that these big, talented athletes have all come through the Giants Academy at the same time and there are others too.

Under Andy Kelly The Giants Academy has gone from below average to Outstanding while also producing the following:

Jake Conner, Matty English, Jake Wardle, Dom Young, Sam Hewitt, Jon Luke Kirby, Innes Senior, Louis Senior, Darnell Macintosh, Oliver Russell, Sam Wood, Jack Richardson, Tyler Mellor, and Ronan Micheal have come through to first team level. While 3 or 4 have gone elsewhere the majority are in the 2021 Giants Super League Squad.

Great Credit to Andy Kelly for reinventing and forging the Giants Academy into what it is today.

Out of interest do all these big players have a RL background or are they being recruited from elsewhere? 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Only Watkins is really International class from that list and he’s never really recovered from a very bad injury. Hopefully Young, Newman and Farnworth can be in the same category as Watkins.

Watkins showed long-overdue signs of a revival n form last season, so we will have to see if that continues in 2021. I think Wigan will play Bateman in the pack now he's returned, but he can worry any opposition, as he proved for Canberra, and he might get a centre selection from Wane.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think Wigan will play Bateman in the pack now he's returned, but he can worry any opposition, as he proved for Canberra, and he might get a centre selection from Wane.

I sincerely hope Wane doesn't play Bateman in the centre. You lose a world class edge forward and gain an average centre. 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I sincerely hope Wane doesn't play Bateman in the centre. You lose a world class edge forward and gain an average centre. 

Its just a defeatist attitude doing that. Trying to nullify and contain Australia never works. You need to score points to beat them and Bateman at centre nullifies your attack on that side.

2 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Fair play

And i agree. 

The giants are doing a tremendous job and now need supporters to start backing them. 

Im a big fan of jake Wardle and he would be the first name on my England team sheet. 

English would also be on it as well as the senior brothers and kruise Leeming now of Leeds 

Huddersfield are the team to watch in 2021

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Its just a defeatist attitude doing that. Trying to nullify and contain Australia never works. You need to score points to beat them and Bateman at centre nullifies your attack on that side.

It`s like the way the Kiwis use to play Simon Mannering in the centres, I hated that, play a bloody decent attacking centre any day for me, that`s how you win matches.

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

It`s like the way the Kiwis use to play Simon Mannering in the centres, I hated that, play a bloody decent attacking centre any day for me, that`s how you win matches.

Dean whare to catalans

Now he is the type of centre I like. 

Hard as nails and will tackle anything that moves. The likes of gildart and percival need that menace about them. Both Gildart and Percivsl are stylish centres but Wardle, young, senior brothers and Farnworth and big beasts. 

Warrington have just promoted another 6 foot 5 inch centre to their 1st team squad as well... Nathan Roebuck 

So some very big players coming through

3 minutes ago, The storm said:

Dean whare to catalans

Now he is the type of centre I like. 

Hard as nails and will tackle anything that moves. The likes of gildart and percival need that menace about them. Both Gildart and Percivsl are stylish centres but Wardle, young, senior brothers and Farnworth and big beasts. 

Warrington have just promoted another 6 foot 5 inch centre to their 1st team squad as well... Nathan Roebuck 

So some very big players coming through

It amazes me that Dean Whare is still such a relatively low-profile player after so many years of great performances. He's solid quality, and I hope he brings a good attitude to Catalans.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Damien said:

On the other hand, if the opposition have a talented but inexperienced centre facing him, Bateman will mess his game and his mind up.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived