Bulldogs v Lions

Batley Bob

Bit too hot today and it made for a tough game. Not the fluency on show from the first part of the season but even at 10 - nil down I thought we looked the better team. Swinton put up a good game and surprised they still have nil points, but that's how it goes. Ground looked immaculate and good to be back

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 10-0 I was just praying that we didn't concede again, Swinton were really up for it and we were poor in both defence and attack and it took a last ditch tackle to stop them going 16 up. We looked devoid of ideas attacking uphill. Then Kaye caught them out by doing a Leaky straight after Leaky couldn't manage a Leaky which caught them out. After that I felt we should have taken at least 1 1 pointer before the break. After that I don't think Swinton's forwards were up to the hill.

It was great being back at the Mount, I think we tried too hard, Swinton had Gilmore all tied up.

On 28/05/2021 at 12:07, Blind side johnny said:

All professional sports grounds are licensed by their local authorities and Kirklees have acted in exactly the same way as the majority of LA's. I understand your frustration but the government are largely responsible for not emphasising that they were only issuing general guidelines for interpretation on a case by case basis. Many people read these and mistakenly extrapolated a theoretical capacity that is actually a long way from reality.

Some pretty wide interpretations of what it means practically, with eg Wake getting 50% of normal and 'fax <10%!

Don't think Tom was 100% still, had a couple of gaps which he would have been through a game or two back. Neither half got a grip today, it was Leak and Kaye who took the game forward for us aided by the usual dynamo at no11! Walshaw had his best game since scoring at Fev, Tonks took it to 'em uphill then didn't feature long enough in the 2nd half. Think Wardy would have been a star turn down that hill. Are we doing MOM Rog?

Seemed at times yesterday that we were trying our best to find new and exciting ways not to score. Swinton defence scrambled well but it was easy to see how Toulouse scored 70 against them. Our last tackle plays were chaotic, we could, on another day have scored 50 but dropping the ball over the line, not passing when we had overlaps, passing when a bit of determination would have got the runner over the line himself, held up over the line etc all contributed to a bit of a frustrating afternoon- and still no 40-20 attempts! But- the weather was fantastic, the beer was good and it was just great to be back!

16 hours ago, distantdog said:

Not on the team sheet published on twitter pre- match.

Cheers, dont do Twitter, did think I'd seem it on Rob le H or game list. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

Agree with much of that assessment. We looked very bunched at times and we were popping up short passes to a man with 2 waiting for him. The 7, 6, 1 triangle didn't click really until Hall came on and he made that break leading to Jodie's try. Often on the 6th we seemed not to know how to end the set often leading to a nowhere, unchallenged kick. However I would disagree with the 40/20 point on this occasion as I think we were so much on the front foot going downhill that there was no need. Browny scoring so quickly put us in charge. I think we've got carried away, self included, with those great wins that we expect just to turn out and see it every game. We won't and some games we won't want to, like up at Whitehaven in a fortnight where it will be an old-fashioned slog, trying fancy stuff up there could end up with a shock. The one thing that did concern me yesterday was that I felt the pack got dominated for lengthy periods, in fact the entire first half and coupled with the tackling lapses didn't do us any good.

nobody dominated tonks/cropper or manning,or gledders,or leaky/jc,i thought we set off slow or got caught out napping a bit,great last 30 and  our fitness showd up well for sure,jodie needs more ball as i think he looks better running with ball than his tackling.how that machine manning gets thru that graft game after game i just dont know.few aching bones off to work this moring i bet.well done all involved.

The Att.figure was given as 940 in the rugby paper.Is that correct or was it 94.If correct ,that must be at least 200 more than normally Batley would get.So did the club give a lot of free tickets away.What was the allowed number ordered by Kirklees?

I see no problem, they might have sold that many tickets, doesn't mean they all turned up, certainly more than 94.

9 hours ago, silcoates said:

The Att.figure was given as 940 in the rugby paper.Is that correct or was it 94.If correct ,that must be at least 200 more than normally Batley would get.So did the club give a lot of free tickets away.What was the allowed number ordered by Kirklees?

Miaow...

People turn out to watch a decent team 😋

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Archived