Jump to content

EURO 2020 ('21) THREAD


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

They are not taking it well.

The village pub was shut, so we went to Irish Pub dump, where I was about twice the age of the average punter.

They are not happy about that penalty! I think many were expecting Denmark to win.

Bob mate, just keep your head down and when they start building a Wicker Man in the village square get out of there! You're welcome to seek refuge at any of our houses and when the mob track you down and start laying siege to the place we'll fight to the death Straw Dogs style! 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


You know, usually when the UK do poorly at Eurovision and everyone goes "Oh well obviously, everyone hates us" I tend to disagree, because our songs are ###### most of the time anyway. 

However, after seeing a lot of social media response towards England's win last night, I've changed my mind. 

Edited by YCKonstantine
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

You know, usually when the UK do poorly at Eurovision and everyone goes "Oh well obviously, everyone hates us" I tend to disagree, because our songs are ###### most of the time anyway. 

However, after seeing a lot of social media response towards England's win last night, I've changed my mind. 

All of Europe wanted Denmark to win.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Bob mate, just keep your head down and when they start building a Wicker Man in the village square get out of there! You're welcome to seek refuge at any of our houses and when the mob track you down and start laying siege to the place we'll fight to the death Straw Dogs style! 

It is not too bad. In England, there are a minority of grown children and a majority of grown-ups. When it comes to expressing it on Facebook, that minority are a lot louder.

17 minutes ago, YCKonstantine said:

You know, usually when the UK do poorly at Eurovision and everyone goes "Oh well obviously, everyone hates us" I tend to disagree, because our songs are ###### most of the time anyway. 

However, after seeing a lot of social media response towards England's win last night, I've changed my mind. 

Yes.

We killed off a fairy tale. We are the baddies. Oddly, had we beaten them comfortably 3-0 a'la 2002, it would have been OK. The closeness made it worse. Though, booing the anthem is always ugly. Our minority of grown children.

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before we get to the final and either go all fatalistically maudlin or ridiculously incoherently joyful ... this has been a really good tournament, hasn't it?

Majority decent games (some actually great), not too much VAR, mostly fast paced, decent skills, bit of drama?

  • Like 8

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Before we get to the final and either go all fatalistically maudlin or ridiculously incoherently joyful ... this has been a really good tournament, hasn't it?

Majority decent games (some actually great), not too much VAR, mostly fast paced, decent skills, bit of drama?

Yes it's been great, I've really enjoyed it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The refs have been good , the German one especially . I remember the outrage at the World Cup when there was no English ref , and then in the tournament we saw why . No real fuss , understated , no Mike Dean type it’s about me

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

You know, usually when the UK do poorly at Eurovision and everyone goes "Oh well obviously, everyone hates us" I tend to disagree, because our songs are ###### most of the time anyway. 

However, after seeing a lot of social media response towards England's win last night, I've changed my mind. 

Tbf there's plenty of English people who are more than happy to talk down the achievement.

If we don't get to the final by dominating France, Spain, Portugal etc then we don't deserve it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

The more I see the penalty the less I care . I can think of all the big games we’ve been shafted in or had zero luck

It annoys me how much it has been the focus the day after. This was a game where after 50 odd minutes we dominated. Yes we got a soft penalty and we'd have been annoyed etc, but the inverse would never have happened because they didn't threaten at all during extra time. 

I remember when we lost to Italy on pens in 2012. Had we won that game it'd have been a travesty and had Italy won 1-0 due to a soft penalty we'd have been annoyed but it wouldn't have felt like a robbery.

Judging by some reactions today you'd think it was the hand of god or something. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really follow football.  I'm glad England got to the final, the only sour note for me was THAT song at the end.  Why?????

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

It annoys me how much it has been the focus the day after. This was a game where after 50 odd minutes we dominated. Yes we got a soft penalty and we'd have been annoyed etc, but the inverse would never have happened because they didn't threaten at all during extra time. 

I remember when we lost to Italy on pens in 2012. Had we won that game it'd have been a travesty and had Italy won 1-0 due to a soft penalty we'd have been annoyed but it wouldn't have felt like a robbery.

Judging by some reactions today you'd think it was the hand of god or something. 

A lot of Scotland fans WERE comparing it to the hand of god goal , but they didn't mention their own hand of god moment when Joe Jordan punched the ball against Wales in the final WC qualifier to win his own team a penalty.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I don't really follow football.  I'm glad England got to the final, the only sour note for me was THAT song at the end.  Why?????

I agree 100% , twitter was full of people from all over the world accusing England of pinching their song , Its so un-original , especially when we have songs of our own .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

A lot of Scotland fans WERE comparing it to the hand of god goal , but they didn't mention their own hand of god moment when Joe Jordan punched the ball against Wales in the final WC qualifier to win his own team a penalty.

I've never forgotten that. All that hype about they were going to the Argentine and going to win it, all courtesy, as you say of a Joe Jordan punched goal.  To say nothing of Wales having to play in Liverpool, hardly a home game.  Bet there's as many ex pat Scots as Welsh in Liverpool.

But the balloon burst almost as soon as they got there!

  • Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

I agree 100% , twitter was full of people from all over the world accusing England of pinching their song , Its so un-original , especially when we have songs of our own .

Really ? Wow I guess some Twitter users need to get out more 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I've never forgotten that. All that hype about they were going to the Argentine and going to win it, all courtesy, as you say of a Joe Jordan punched goal.  To say nothing of Wales having to play in Liverpool, hardly a home game.  Bet there's as many ex pat Scots as Welsh in Liverpool.

But the balloon burst almost as soon as they got there!

People talk about English arrogance , but I've never heard an English manager say " We are gong to win the world cup " but I heard Ally MacLeod said it more than once .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bob8 said:

My Facebook has a few anti-English posts today, including some in English.

When they are by young people, I sympathise, as I have been there. When the people are middle aged, my thinking is more along the lines of "FFS, grow up".

There's plenty of "Whigfield, Little Mermaid, Lego, your boys took one hell of a beating" type posts going round on social media... I assume not entirely serious though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I've never forgotten that. All that hype about they were going to the Argentine and going to win it, all courtesy, as you say of a Joe Jordan punched goal.  To say nothing of Wales having to play in Liverpool, hardly a home game.  Bet there's as many ex pat Scots as Welsh in Liverpool.

But the balloon burst almost as soon as they got there!

Good post. I can add to it if it is ok with you?

I remember the Wales game. They couldn't play at Cardiff as there had been crowd trouble during the previous game v Yugoslavia, I think. 

Instead of choosing Wrexham, the Welsh FA opted for Anfield to get more money. This turned into a Scotland home game virtually as they were able to travel in numbers.

I think the controversial incident was a penalty to Scotland where Joe Jordan had actually handled the ball and not the Welsh defender. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Niels said:

Good post. I can add to it if it is ok with you?

I remember the Wales game. They couldn't play at Cardiff as there had been crowd trouble during the previous game v Yugoslavia, I think. 

Instead of choosing Wrexham, the Welsh FA opted for Anfield to get more money. This turned into a Scotland home game virtually as they were able to travel in numbers.

I think the controversial incident was a penalty to Scotland where Joe Jordan had actually handled the ball and not the Welsh defender. 

Qualification for the WC was a bit harsh in those days to say the least. Scotland were in a group of Wales and Czech - that's it! England were in a group of 4 with Italy and despite winning 5/6 games went out on points difference. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Qualification for the WC was a bit harsh in those days to say the least. Scotland were in a group of Wales and Czech - that's it! England were in a group of 4 with Italy and despite winning 5/6 games went out on points difference. 

Thank you for this.  I couldn't remember who the third team were. I think Wales had beaten them at home and a win over Scotland would have taken them through. 

I remember as a boy wanting Wales to win and being disappointed.

Yes qualification was tough then and of course following world football wasnt as easy. I used to rely on World Soccer magazine for updates. Now I can watch my team play every game via Sky red button but back in 1978 it was very different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

next time i am in the precinct and i see a Jamacian guy fall over for no apparent  reason (a Jamacian guy born in jamacia to Jamacian parents)- i wont bother calling an ambulance i will round up a few others and form a conga singing sweet Caroline then bang on about it all the next day.

Edited by graveyard johnny

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Tbf there's plenty of English people who are more than happy to talk down the achievement.

If we don't get to the final by dominating France, Spain, Portugal etc then we don't deserve it.

To me , if we don't beat France Spain , Portugal , Germany AND the Italians , we don't deserve it 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Quite. They could have tried winning the match by being the better team on the night but England, aside from a 20ish minute spell, stopped them from doing that. The goals we got were fortunate but nobody could say with a straight face that Denmark were the better team. If they'd had a normal human in goal they'd have lost by a lot.

quite but to add to it, at one point Denmark seemed more content to disrupt England's flow plus did some last ditch fouls preventing opportunities and what could be called professional fouls - surprised ref didn't use the card more,,, particular not forgetting the long period when England looked like they were over running Denmark but Denmark players went down injured for an awful long time and then took their time with x3 subs... by the time game started again England's momentum had been stopped...

some of it seemed more like cheating to me...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Obviously , including the Italians for different reasons 

Taking your point seriously, I don’t think Italy really cared who they played in the final but they would have wanted a more demanding extra time for whoever came through.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

I've never forgotten that. All that hype about they were going to the Argentine and going to win it, all courtesy, as you say of a Joe Jordan punched goal.  To say nothing of Wales having to play in Liverpool, hardly a home game.  Bet there's as many ex pat Scots as Welsh in Liverpool.

But the balloon burst almost as soon as they got there!

" Were on the march with Ally's army " 😂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...