Rugby league-could some lessons be learned from cricket?

there are complants springing up in USA that MLB games are taking too long and on average how long do their games take ? 3 hours.  If you look at NFL games on TV when it gets down to the last 5 minutes which usually takes about a half hour the stadiums by the are almost half empty fro. Being full 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

there are complants springing up in USA that MLB games are taking too long and on average how long do their games take ? 3 hours.  If you look at NFL games on TV when it gets down to the last 5 minutes which usually takes about a half hour the stadiums by the are almost half empty fro. Being full 

A lot depends on the game. In the last five minutes, it's possible for teams to just 'chew the clock' for around 2:30 if they're in position and in the lead so yeah, people walk out. 

NFL RedZone on the other hand is brilliant and such a good way to watch the NFL - especially if you're not that into the sport and just watching more casually, as they just cut to the game(s) where teams look as if they are in scoring or game-changing positions. 

6 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I didn't realise Wigan played in the NFL ? , I knew Leeds have recruited from there of course 😉

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah I seem to remember Barrie McDermott, not that long ago, either promoting or just being involved with senior non tackle RL (just don’t tell Gubby) The one where you had different coloured shorts? Just as one instance but they never seem to last. 

That's because they are rubbish 😂

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

There’s definitely a novelty factor but if they get half a million watching and 10% of them decide to become either actively attend cricket games or become somehow attached to a club then it’s a result.

Then they turn up at their first game , and it rains , so they don't bother again 

It'll be gone inside 3 years , replaced by the ' Twenty ' , a shortened version of the hundred with 8 a side playing mini tournaments mid week , which will last one year and then that'll be gone 

5 day test matches will remain , as I suggested earlier , maybe that's what we should copy from cricket , forty hour games of RL , it's the future 😁

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It doesn't matter if this goes or not, they are attracting new and future fans that will be cricket fans in the future. 

You can mock all you like, RL is missing out. 

They are ( might be ) attracting new ' 100 ' fans , who will disappear as quickly as the ' 100 ' does 

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Says misery guts. Not everyone is as down on life as you.

I love life , but I'm also not delusional 

Young lad goes to the ' 100 ' , " this is great dad , can I go to a test match " , young lad at test match " dad , why aren't they smashing the ball like last time , this is boring " 

🤔

8 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah I seem to remember Barrie McDermott, not that long ago, either promoting or just being involved with senior non tackle RL (just don’t tell Gubby) The one where you had different coloured shorts? Just as one instance but they never seem to last. 

That's masters, still going strong.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I love life , but I'm also not delusional 

Young lad goes to the ' 100 ' , " this is great dad , can I go to a test match " , young lad at test match " dad , why aren't they smashing the ball like last time , this is boring " 

🤔

To be fair to Gubrats my 16 year old nephew is exactly like that. He started taking an interest in cricket after seeing a couple of T20 matches, he was enthralled by it and asked to see more. When it came to test cricket he quickly got bored, started looking at his phone and didn't bother watching after part of day 2. He kept bemoaning the players not smashing 6s and 4s every few balls and doesn't care so much for tactical leaves and the bowler tailoring the type of balls he delivers to draw an error from the batsman. He still loves T20 and will watch that, watches highlight videos on Youtube and will sometimes watch a bit of one day cricket but if T20 disappeared then so would his interest. He doesn't bother with the traditional format. He is only one example of a new fan sticking only to the format that drew him in but I doubt he is the only one.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Problem solved , we've got our Version of the hundred , only difference is it's the players minimum age 👍

In terms of long term health of the amateur game, masters is essential for sustainability and growth

47 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Young lad goes to full 13 a side RL match....."dad this is full of moaning old gits, can I go home?"

Take him to a 9s , they'll be no moaning old bits there , because they'll be nobody else there at all 

I always found listening to the moaning old gits quite funny , still do , even though I'm older than most of them 

41 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

To be fair to Gubrats my 16 year old nephew is exactly like that. He started taking an interest in cricket after seeing a couple of T20 matches, he was enthralled by it and asked to see more. When it came to test cricket he quickly got bored, started looking at his phone and didn't bother watching after part of day 2. He kept bemoaning the players not smashing 6s and 4s every few balls and doesn't care so much for tactical leaves and the bowler tailoring the type of balls he delivers to draw an error from the batsman. He still loves T20 and will watch that, watches highlight videos on Youtube and will sometimes watch a bit of one day cricket but if T20 disappeared then so would his interest. He doesn't bother with the traditional format. He is only one example of a new fan sticking only to the format that drew him in but I doubt he is the only one.

Sounds just like me 😁

Very happy that I am in Spain at present and have managed to see NOT ONE BALL being bowled in the Costcutter Graves Circus:)

Also happy that I am back next week in Blighty to watch some rugby league and cricket, Warrington Thursday Wigan Friday Hull Saturday and the following week Kent v Birmingham Bears T/Twenty later that week non league football and the London Broncos thats my August done and dusted 🙂

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Young lad goes to full 13 a side RL match....."dad this is full of moaning old gits, can I go home?"

i went to my first game age 11 - "dad this is full of moaning old gits, when will I be able to moan just like them dad?" - "bide yer time lad - your day will come "

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 10/08/2021 at 16:47, GUBRATS said:

Nobodies bothered about 9 s 

Our game is already shorter than a ' hundred ' match , why do we need to shorten it ? 

I have no issues with 9's - I'd probably have it on in the background on TV, and I do think there is a place at international level to help develop some of the lesser nations particularly, but I find anybody suggesting 9's as any kind of way to really grow the game as miles off. 

And people talk about short-format, ignoring the fact that 9's events would be more time-consuming than a standard game of RL.

Like a lot of people on here and RL fans in general,I have less interest in the game than I used to have.

Unless other commitments dictate I have always watched televised games for the last 40+ years.

Last night I found myself flicking between the Saints v Cas game and the 100.Whilst it was good to see Cas win- the entertainment at the cricket together with the atmosphere was far superior.

What can we learn from cricket and other sports is the big question,but if nobody is listening to the answers what is the point?

Archived