Women’s Super League

Just now, Futtocks said:

While a close-fought contest is always desired, it is possible to just enjoy the quality of a dominant side for its own sake. And St Helens have been on a different level all season.

Couple of real quality tries. The last one in particular with a run around, centre beats two and a classic draw and pass to the winger was excellent.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Zoe Harris for Saints is a class player.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Couple of real quality tries. The last one in particular with a run around, centre beats two and a classic draw and pass to the winger was excellent.

Pah, that’s easy compared to kicking a ball 😉

Always enjoy watching the Women’s game, think this Leeds York game will be a cracker

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Pah, that’s easy compared to kicking a ball 😉

Always enjoy watching the Women’s game, think this Leeds York game will be a cracker

Yes, all indications that this will be a tight contest.

Enjoying this game, found the Saint's Cas game frustrating 

Cas are a good team but made many unforced errors and poor decision making. Dropped balls on tackle one, losing possession in own half, kicking ball out on the full, not getting two in the tackle etc. All fixable, so hopefully those young players will learn and improve from their experiences 

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Is it me or has the women’s game become more about power?

I hadn't thought that do be honest.  Rugby League has always been a balance between power and craft and I think there is enough ball movement in these game to suggest that balance is ok.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

This Zoe Harris for Saints is a class player.

Despite having limbs like sticks. More proof that RL is a game for all shapes and sizes. And that passing in RL is all about technique. She`s improved beyond measure since 2019.

A potential insight for our poster on the previous page who refers to "throwing the ball".

14 all - this is a close one! Just as good to watch as the first match, but in a different way.

I can't see either side turning St Helens over, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Despite having limbs like sticks. More proof that RL is a game for all shapes and sizes. And that passing in RL is all about technique. She`s improved beyond measure since 2019.

A potential insight for our poster on the previous page who refers to "throwing the ball".

Yes, very good technique and passes well off both hands with distance and accuracy.  It is hard to overestimate the skills on display there... a skill some pros in the 80's and 90's didn't have (I remember a certain Great Britain half back who had to turn his back because he couldn't pass at distance to his right!).

A combination of ability and clearly very good coaching.

47 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Enjoying this game, found the Saint's Cas game frustrating 

Cas are a good team but made many unforced errors and poor decision making. Dropped balls on tackle one, losing possession in own half, kicking ball out on the full, not getting two in the tackle etc. All fixable, so hopefully those young players will learn and improve from their experiences 

You have to adjust your expectations if you want to enjoy watching the women`s game. You will sometimes find it frustrating if the frame of reference in your mind derives entirely from the men`s game.

Cas are better than they appeared today. Too many young players in a big game. 

On 24/09/2021 at 09:50, DC77 said:

Scoring, you bend down and place the ball on an empty width of a field, the other, you have to generate power and kick the ball  between posts eight yards apart with someone there to stop the shot.

I was just wondering why, if scoring was bending down and placing the ball on an empty width of the field, I hadn't scored as many tries in my playing career as Brian Bevan.

Then I remembered.  It was because of all the opposition players trying to smash the snot out of me!

Not the same as a goalkeeper of course but not insignificant. 

Fantastic win for the Giants girls to make the shield final today 

6-20 down to Warrington, they managed to score 3 late tries to take the game into extra time, they then scored a cracking try in the 3rd period of extra time to go through 30-26.

A really competitive, exciting game, far more excitement than the 95 minute wrestling matches we usually see

To say they were written off as cannon fodder a couple of weeks into the season and some record scores predicted against them, it's a fantastic achievement.

And let's face it, you can beat a Warrington bottle job either can you 😁

9 hours ago, meast said:

Fantastic win for the Giants girls to make the shield final today 

6-20 down to Warrington, they managed to score 3 late tries to take the game into extra time, they then scored a cracking try in the 3rd period of extra time to go through 30-26.

A really competitive, exciting game, far more excitement than the 95 minute wrestling matches we usually see

To say they were written off as cannon fodder a couple of weeks into the season and some record scores predicted against them, it's a fantastic achievement.

Seen video of a handful of Giants games in 2021. Perceptible improvement during the year. I think they recruited a few players. Younger ones made progress. All led around the park by Bethan Oates, who`s a player who wouldn`t be out of place at Saints or Leeds. Hopefully she`ll remain at Huddersfield. For the health of WSL, we need the better players spread throughout the competition.

P.S. - No offence intended, but I wish people would shut the heck up about "wrestling".

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Seen video of a handful of Giants games in 2021. Perceptible improvement during the year. I think they recruited a few players. Younger ones made progress. All led around the park by Bethan Oates, who`s a player who wouldn`t be out of place at Saints or Leeds. Hopefully she`ll remain at Huddersfield. For the health of WSL, we need the better players spread throughout the competition.

P.S. - No offence intended, but I wish people would shut the heck up about "wrestling".

Bethan was superb yesterday and led the younger girls superbly.

There's a lot of young girls from local clubs in the side and they seemed to have grown together as s team.

Agree about the better players, the international standard players should be spread around.

As for the wrestling, people will shut up about it when it stops being a major part of the game I suspect.

4 hours ago, meast said:

As for the wrestling, people will shut up about it when it stops being a major part of the game I suspect.

Won`t regurgitate all the arguments I`ve made on other threads relating to this, but I just wish people would look more closely and think a bit more about the process of completing a tackle in RL.

It`s selling our game and our players short to dismiss intelligent tackle technique as "wrestling".

1 hour ago, BroncoFan said:

The Giants have a youngster on the wing who should win rookie of the year. Amelia Brown has been a revelation.

Shes a quality player and like a few of the other younger 16/17 year olds around the league is afforded a bit of "protection" playing on the wing and allowed to showcase her talents. Theres another lass who were at Leeds who would have given her plenty of competition but again like so many of the youngsters thrown in at this level she suffered a season ending serious injury.

Hopefully with the creation of a U18's at community level next season it will give the girls another year or two to fully develop before having to take what is a big step up to SL level. The only hurdle could be if SL push ahead and try and also bring in an u18's in which case there simply will not be enough players to go around and we end up back at square 1. The other idea been touted around is splitting the SL in half similar to what happens in Australia so players are playing against players who are of similar ability which will help with natural development.

On 26/09/2021 at 21:54, meast said:

And let's face it, you can beat a Warrington bottle job either can you 😁

A thought on Warrington - I see them as pivotal to the consolidation of WSL. We need another top women`s club on the superior side of the Pennines. Like York, they`ll need to recruit to make the step up. Their younger players will improve, but that won`t be enough. Two of Saints` best players, Jodie Cunningham and Emily Rudge, are both from Warrington.

This Sunday it`s the Championship GF, Leigh Miners v Barrow, at Thatto Heath and live on Our League.

8 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Out of interest what sort of a team did Warrington have out? The SL split seems to be gathering pace and by losing that game they would not make the top section. 

On recent form I was expecting a comfortable Huddersfield victory last Sunday.

So the way the game went indicates Warrington put everything they had into it.

Archived