Women’s Super League

The Women’s Super League Play Offs are on Sky Sports Mix this Sunday, the sport has a tremendous amount of tv coverage on Sky this weekend.

There has been a lot said recently on the new sky tv funding deal for Championship and League One clubs, and discussion on what those clubs will receive next year. But I’ve not seen Women’s Super League mentioned. How much funding will they get from the new deal? 

Saints v Castleford Sunday 1:15pm Sky Sports Mix

Leeds v York 3:30pm Sunday Sky Sports Mix

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Women’s Super League Play Offs are on Sky Sports Mix this Sunday, the sport has a tremendous amount of tv coverage on Sky this weekend.

There has been a lot said recently on the new sky tv funding deal for Championship and League One clubs, and discussion on what those clubs will receive next year. But I’ve not seen Women’s Super League mentioned. How much funding will they get from the new deal? 

Saints v Castleford Sunday 1:15pm Sky Sports Mix

Leeds v York 3:30pm Sunday Sky Sports Mix

The clubs who run women’s teams have access to extra funding, how much of that filters to the actual women’s team is down to the individual club

On 23/09/2021 at 08:36, Johnoco said:

Isn't the women's football thingy called Women's Super League? 

They should try and cash in and get some people watching thinking it is that. Then they might find not all women's team sport is dreadful. 😬😬

Harsh.

Its also an unfair comparison as RL is easier to play well than football. You could get 10 girls from the gym who have never played a team sport and get them to play 30 minutes of both, rugby (either code) they’d pick up the basic hand passing almost immediately, football is another matter. Scoring, you bend down and place the ball on an empty width of a field, the other, you have to generate power and kick the ball  between posts eight yards apart with someone there to stop the shot.

Women’s football needs years upon years of development to get to a decent standard (for women), and having been held back previously it’s a period of time they are entitled to. The WSL could (in time) be quality; where would women’s tennis be now if was in its infancy like women’s football?

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Its also an unfair comparison as RL is easier to play well than football. You could get 10 girls from the gym who have never played a team sport and get them to play 30 minutes of both, rugby (either code) they’d pick up the basic hand passing almost immediately, football is another matter. Scoring, you bend down and place the ball on an empty width of a field, the other, you have to generate power and kick the ball  between posts eight yards apart with someone there to stop the shot.

You should try coaching.

4 hours ago, DC77 said:

Its also an unfair comparison as RL is easier to play well than football. You could get 10 girls from the gym who have never played a team sport and get them to play 30 minutes of both, rugby (either code) they’d pick up the basic hand passing almost immediately, football is another matter. 

I respectfully suggested on another thread that it could help your posts if you acquired a bit more knowledge about RL. You`re under a grave illusion if you think anyone can "pick up the basic hand passing almost immediately". Might be a good idea to watch a few RL coaching videos.

When I see a female team, the first thing I look for is the quality of passing. There can be a vast difference in speed, trajectory, accuracy, and this will largely determine how the team are able to play. If the passing is inadequate, the style of play will be like Mini and Mod RL. If the passing is accomplished, then the style of play can get closer to the men`s game.

In terms of basics, what makes you think a simple pass of a round ball with the foot is so much harder to execute than a pass of an oval ball with the hands? I would also contend that in RL there is a smaller margin for error. Just a few centimetres will distort the angles and timing in the pattern of play.

Longer passing in Soccer might be "another matter", but only the elite women players appear capable of that to a high standard.

32 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I respectfully suggested on another thread that it could help your posts if you acquired a bit more knowledge about RL. You`re under a grave illusion if you think anyone can "pick up the basic hand passing almost immediately". Might be a good idea to watch a few RL coaching videos.

When I see a female team, the first thing I look for is the quality of passing. There can be a vast difference in speed, trajectory, accuracy, and this will largely determine how the team are able to play. If the passing is inadequate, the style of play will be like Mini and Mod RL. If the passing is accomplished, then the style of play can get closer to the men`s game.

In terms of basics, what makes you think a simple pass of a round ball with the foot is so much harder to execute than a pass of an oval ball with the hands? I would also contend that in RL there is a smaller margin for error. Just a few centimetres will distort the angles and timing in the pattern of play.

Longer passing in Soccer might be "another matter", but only the elite women players appear capable of that to a high standard.

I’m not getting into a long winded debate about the obvious, so in brief: using your hands, ie. throwing the ball (which more often than not are short, very short passes) is infinitely easier than using your foot, ie. kicking the ball (which more often than not, are not to a person stood five yards away). Any able bodied person with a basic level of fitness could throw a ball from A to B. Far less able bodied people with a basic level of fitness could kick a ball from A to B. A women’s passing sequence in RL rarely breaks down quickly (unless someone has a brain fart and takes their eye off the ball). A women’s passing sequence in football routinely breaks down.

Thats just the gulf in passing requirements. The scoring is arguably a bigger gulf.

Women's RL looks decent and not too dissimilar to men’s largely because the basic requirements to be competent at it are much smaller than football. 

11 minutes ago, DC77 said:

Women's RL looks decent and not too dissimilar to men’s largely because the basic requirements to be competent at it are much smaller than football. 

Leaving aside any comments about the relative standard of women's football and women's rugby league, I am just open mouthed that any human being believes that it is easier to pick up the basic skills for rugby than for football.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Far less able bodied people with a basic level of fitness could kick a ball from A to B. 

When I played Soccer, kicking the ball 5 metres or so wasn`t particularly taxing. Care to explain why you think it`s so difficult?

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Any able bodied person with a basic level of fitness could throw a ball from A to B. 

Throwing the ball and efficiently passing the ball are two profoundly different things. 

2 hours ago, DC77 said:

A women’s passing sequence in RL rarely breaks down quickly 

This isn`t just wrong, it`s transcendently wrong. You clearly haven`t seen much women`s RL.

Earlier this week we had the pleasure of Pip Birchall Saints and Ireland Rugby star join us in the studio 🎙️.

We discussed Women's Rugby along with the LDRL and PDRL and that great Wheelchair Grand Final.

We have a longer dedicated episode out early tomorrow morning with Pip discussing her career, development of the Women's game amongst other RL topics but please check out our mini episode here whilst you wait.

3 hours ago, DC77 said:

I’m not getting into a long winded debate about the obvious, so in brief: using your hands, ie. throwing the ball (which more often than not are short, very short passes) is infinitely easier than using your foot, ie. kicking the ball (which more often than not, are not to a person stood five yards away). Any able bodied person with a basic level of fitness could throw a ball from A to B. Far less able bodied people with a basic level of fitness could kick a ball from A to B. A women’s passing sequence in RL rarely breaks down quickly (unless someone has a brain fart and takes their eye off the ball). A women’s passing sequence in football routinely breaks down.

Thats just the gulf in passing requirements. The scoring is arguably a bigger gulf.

As someone who has coached at a range of levels (going children to adults, boys and girls) and a range of sports for many years, in absolutely gobsmacked that anyone could think that rugby is easier than playing football at entry level.

Quite literally anyone with working legs can kick a ball. Not everyone can throw a ball and certainly they cannot catch it.

If you cannot catch a ball, you cannot really play rugby league.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 hours ago, DC77 said:

Harsh.

Women’s football needs years upon years of development to get to a decent standard (for women), and having been held back previously it’s a period of time they are entitled to. The WSL could (in time) be quality; where would women’s tennis be now if was in its infancy like women’s football?

Against a hell of a lot of competition, I think this is the most amazing thing I have read on this forum over the last 7 years.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 24/09/2021 at 18:47, David Dockhouse Host said:

Earlier this week we had the pleasure of Pip Birchall Saints and Ireland Rugby star join us in the studio 🎙️.

We discussed Women's Rugby along with the LDRL and PDRL and that great Wheelchair Grand Final.

We have a longer dedicated episode out early tomorrow morning with Pip discussing her career, development of the Women's game amongst other RL topics but please check out our mini episode here whilst you wait.

Obvious that neither Keith nor Pip fancy Castleford`s chances in the semi.

Fair call, it would take a major upset to stop Saints or Leeds this Sunday.

And a Saints/Leeds GF should be "monumentous".👍

47 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Obvious that neither Keith nor Pip fancy Castleford`s chances in the semi.

Fair call, it would take a major upset to stop Saints or Leeds this Sunday.

And a Saints/Leeds GF should be "monumentous".👍

Castleford lost several players to York City Knights at the start of the season, they are still a very good team which shows how great they were.

I think Saints are the stand out team, they seem very well coached from Pips insights, mentally well prepared also, so it would be a big upset if Saints didn't win but I'm looking forward to tomorrows games. I want to go but have to strip wallpaper before my painter comes next week 😲true story😁if I get it don't in time I'll be there 

5 hours ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

Castleford lost several players to York City Knights at the start of the season, they are still a very good team which shows how great they were.

Cas have done well to stabilize and remain competitive in the top 5 after losing so many key players. A number of young girls were thrown in at the deep end, but have visibly improved through the year.

They seem to have retained the commitment of the club, although it was disappointing to see their last home game played at Lock Lane rather than Wheldon Road. Bit of a throwback to when they had to play at Castleford RU.

Today it`s also the WSL Shield (bottom 5) semi-finals, Featherstone v Bradford and Huddersfield v Warrington. The final will be part of a double-header at Headingley in a fortnight with the WSL GF.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Cas have done well to stabilize and remain competitive in the top 5 after losing so many key players. A number of young girls were thrown in at the deep end, but have visibly improved through the year.

They seem to have retained the commitment of the club, although it was disappointing to see their last home game played at Lock Lane rather than Wheldon Road. Bit of a throwback to when they had to play at Castleford RU.

Today it`s also the WSL Shield (bottom 5) semi-finals, Featherstone v Bradford and Huddersfield v Warrington. The final will be part of a double-header at Headingley in a fortnight with the WSL GF.

Thanks for reminding me of the Shield, the standards vary in the women's game currently and the structure helps keep it competitive and there's interest at all levels.

Have to say it does really frustrate me that the women's top level football is called the Women's Super League.  No idea why they couldn't have the Women's Premier League instead and align with the top tier of the men's game as we have with the Men and Women Super League.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 24/09/2021 at 09:50, DC77 said:

Harsh.

This is up there as one of the most bizarre things I've ever read on this forum. Footballs popularity in part is due to how easy it is to play. Rugby (both codes) is one of the toughest sports any initiated person can play. Makes me think you've never played the game at all 

54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Have to say it does really frustrate me that the women's top level football is called the Women's Super League.  No idea why they couldn't have the Women's Premier League instead and align with the top tier of the men's game as we have with the Men and Women Super League.

No idea here either, and I think, quite apart from the confusion, Football scored a bit on an own goal by not calling themselves the Women's Premier League. Much easier to sell a product with an already-familiar name.

Just checked today's listings Down Under, and Fox League are simulcasting both of the women's games to Australia.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Enjoying the first match today.  A little bit of a mismatch but still entertaining.

Just now, Dunbar said:

Enjoying the first match today.  A little bit of a mismatch but still entertaining.

While a close-fought contest is always desired, it is possible to just enjoy the quality of a dominant side for its own sake. And St Helens have been on a different level all season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived