Jump to content

What's going on?


Recommended Posts


A club needs to be accepted in to Tier 3 ( League 1 ) by the RFL as semi professional or allowed by the relevant  Competition Management  in Tiers 4 and 5 to pay their players and still play in that competition. It's all in the Operational Rules.

Absolute minefield if the latter is allowed.

In the proven Tier 4 the NCL will simply not allow it .

If the RFL pushed for it in their own controlled Tier 5 competitions certainly in the traditional areas they could well face rebellion.

Tier 4 South - the Southern Conference  - would have existing clubs question the continued integrity of the competition if this were allowed but if their whole League by club vote wants to go that way then why not? 

  At Tier 5 if  however the semi pros played there the fledgling West of England or Midlands Leagues would  likely disintegrate  virtually overnight.

I've only heard of the All Golds and the Jaguars suggesting their future lies this way. I am not aware that they have been ' blessed ' by the RFL to pursue this route so far.

But who knows ?

I think that these 2 clubs , based in strong RU  ' boot money ' areas feel they need to pay players to build a squad , in spite of the fact they have not yet effectively turned sides out to play. All Golds lost their last two regional games by over 100 points. They want to run before they can walk .

Take the Coventry RLFC  path would be my advice- but that is probably too long term for these guys and therein lies the problem.

 Stress tested Business plans lodged with  the RFL ?

All Golds plans  getting traction on the General Forum but I appreciate impact on the Amateurs may not be being clocked.

 Over to you Mr Moderator

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/10/2021 at 16:52, usain bolt said:

Surely thatto heath are paying their players and coaches with the squad they've assembled and they're tier 4, that's what Wath Brow were saying saturday anyway, so must be true

You state Wath Brow are saying Thatto are paying players, is actually saying this, the club or a supporter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/10/2021 at 21:55, Impartial Observer said:

I see the chair of All Golds is on social media today saying they are looking for a new ground in Bristol saying if you have the land we have the money.  Maybe Ottawa are relocating West from Hemel.

Hemel are staying at Hemel, been there 40 yrs, own it's own ground, all Hemel did was sell its League 1 licence.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/10/2021 at 23:52, usain bolt said:

Supporters suggesting at least brow don't pay their players, they play for the love of the club 😁

Wath Brow don’t & never have paid players,of the 17 players who played in the Grand Final 16 came through the youth system.

Its well known certain NCL clubs do pay players,that’s their choice & I have no problem with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Wath Brow don’t & never have paid players,of the 17 players who played in the Grand Final 16 came through the youth system.

Its well known certain NCL clubs do pay players,that’s their choice & I have no problem with it.

Never said they did, was the other way round the suggestions being made 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Wath Brow don’t & never have paid players,of the 17 players who played in the Grand Final 16 came through the youth system.

Its well known certain NCL clubs do pay players,that’s their choice & I have no problem with it.

And also, as stated it's against the tier 4 rules, so if it's that well known who does then there should be a problem with it. Imagine being accused, and it being a false allegation. 

It's the easy finger point when in defeat, ah they must pay their players

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, usain bolt said:

And also, as stated it's against the tier 4 rules, so if it's that well known who does then there should be a problem with it. Imagine being accused, and it being a false allegation. 

It's the easy finger point when in defeat, ah they must pay their players

If you think it doesn’t happen & it’s only sour grapes your kidding yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/10/2021 at 20:03, JMB said:

Just drink talking probably, and they are right about the Brow, all the players pay monthly to play, just like all the other clubs.

 

Does the payment come out of a brown envelope that was tucked into a boot?

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Semi-pro Worcester Jaguars situation in précis form:

July 2021: Jaguars forfeit two games in a row in a struggle to raise a team (internal issues)

August 2021: All players (~27) complete an end of season survey so management know best way forward. All very keen to play on in 2022 in same league with a good coach in place (3 good options, 1 bad available)

Autumn 2021: Semi-professional plans announced, 20+ players swiftly exit as this isn’t what they wanted nor felt was best.

Early 2022: Club messaging ex-players in hope they will return if they went back to amateur status.

Very messy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know teams are needed in the West but surely it has to make sense that Worcester prove they can actually complete a season at the lower level first!  Is there any reason to believe they can either compete in the 2022 season or complete it.  Don't get me wrong I hope I'm wrong on this.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Norfolk said:

I know teams are needed in the West but surely it has to make sense that Worcester prove they can actually complete a season at the lower level first!  Is there any reason to believe they can either compete in the 2022 season or complete it.  Don't get me wrong I hope I'm wrong on this.

Same with Bath who are also in it and failed to play games last season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Worcester and All Golds both failed to finish their season last year yet are going Semi Pro. Whatever happened to building from the grassroots? Clubs need to understand there is no short cuts, that building a club is hard, and by making fundamental errors like this damages their brand. All this has done is alienate good people and will not solve their problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

Same with Bath who are also in it and failed to play games last season

The Southern Conference was set up with good intentions but seems like a bit of a mess based on decisions on which teams are in it this year. I fear there will be a number of forfeits and other issues affecting what is supposed to be the top amateur league in the South.

Labelling it as League 1 South by some at the start didn't help. Someone at the RFL needs take ownership and set out what the league is, how teams progress from it to a higher level and what the entry criteria are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

The Southern Conference was set up with good intentions but seems like a bit of a mess based on decisions on which teams are in it this year. I fear there will be a number of forfeits and other issues affecting what is supposed to be the top amateur league in the South.

Labelling it as League 1 South by some at the start didn't help. Someone at the RFL needs take ownership and set out what the league is, how teams progress from it to a higher level and what the entry criteria are. 

The eastern conference is a decent league but the western one is much less convincing (with the exceptions of Swindon St George and Devon Sharks). 
 

https://www.rugby-league.com/competitions/community-leagues/west-of-england-league/match-centre

Looking at this, Worcester and Bath really aren’t the clubs you’d have promoted. I find the clubs that get promoted too fast are the clubs that don’t last very long. Essex Eels, Kent Ravens and (going back a long time) Northampton Knights come to mind. 

Edited by bowes
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...