The Cornwall RLFC Thread

1 minute ago, NW10LDN said:

So one community club compared to the 37 for rugby union. The numbers are against them unless they form pathways for players coming from the union clubs as well which I'm the RFU will be fully supportive of.

Completely irrelevant to what you said. It's quite obvious that you didn't know and was making it up.

• Like 2

Just now, Damien said:

Completely irrelevant to what you said. It's quite obvious that you didn't know and was making it up.

It was clearly an opinion. One community club is not a solid plan for development of the sport. Be offended by that all you want but it's irrelevant and not made up.

3 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

It was clearly an opinion. One community club is not a solid plan for development of the sport. Be offended by that all you want but it's irrelevant and not made up.

Ok, again, how do you go from zero clubs to, say 5, given you dismiss any efforts to do anything as pointless? 

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

No it was clearly you making stuff up without having a clue what their plan is. Just as you tried to make up what happened to Oxford to backup your made up point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

No it was clearly you making stuff up without having a clue what their plan is. Just as you tried to make up what happened to Oxford to backup your made up point.

Oxford failed just like Cornwall will. That's what happens when you set up clubs with no solid plan for development.

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Ok, again, how do you go from zero clubs to, say 5, given you dismiss any efforts to do anything as pointless? 

Setting them up first would be a start. Then the professional club can come along later when there's enough interest.

5 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Oxford failed just like Cornwall will. That's what happens when you set up clubs with no solid plan for development.

Irrelevant again and yet again how do you know they have no plan? Are you saying Oxford had no plan?

7 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Setting them up first would be a start. Then the professional club can come along later when there's enough interest.

But you just dismissed there only being one club. So how do you go from none to a few clubs? 

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Irrelevant again and yet again how do you know they have no plan? Are you saying Oxford had no plan?

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Set up by who?

They clearly didn't have a plan. Eric Perez can set them up with his money since he's so adament that Cornwall will fall in love with rugby league.

Just now, Johnoco said:

But you just dismissed there only being one club. So how do you go from none to a few clubs? 

I didn't dismiss the club. I said it wasn't enough.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

They clearly didn't have a plan. Eric Perez can set them up with his money since he's so adament that Cornwall will fall in love with rugby league.

How did they have no plan? You have no idea.

You really are talking complete nonsense. You want all this in place before a professional club comes into being but at the same time want a yet to exist professional club to fund it for 10 years before they come into being. It's laughable.

Its really weird how you can be so against someone wanting to develop the sport with his own, or his backers, money.

• Like 5

Guys as a southerner and massive rugby league fan can I say that the vast majority (If not all of us) totally support all the traditional teams and want them all to be as successful as possible.

The reality is although many expansion teams have failed in the current world its expand or die.

Lets all expand this great game together:)

Love and peace:)

www.atlantisradio.uk (We just played a John Lennon song:)))

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

It isn't but I also don't think they should be setting up a new club in a union heartland with no solid plan for growing the community game. That's what happened to Gloucester and Oxford. As for the headlines, every negative bit of news get put on the front page of Sky and BBC these days.

There were plans to grow the community game in Oxford. The basics of the work actually began but as crowds declined what little money there was went towards keeping the senior club alive.

For the record the bits I recall were links to Oxford Cavaliers, a short lived U21 team and links to an attempt to drive RL in local schools which saw several schools adopt the sport. This work was led by a local teacher with support from the club.  Oxford RL were also big on the Sky Try RL scheme with another southern club complaining too many resources were dedicated to Oxford.

There were hopes and plans. Yes they were largely unfulfilled but it doesn't mean there weren't plans.

• Like 5

On 04/11/2021 at 21:29, Tabby said:

I’ve not seen a player moan. I’ve seen fans on here moan about their clubs travelling to Canada,France and now Cornwall. The RFL need to support L1 with travel expense as they did with Thursday night games in SL.

Its a national league, clubs know what they are signed up for.. same as the championship and SL

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

There were plans to grow the community game in Oxford. The basics of the work actually began but as crowds declined what little money there was went towards keeping the senior club alive.

For the record the bits I recall were links to Oxford Cavaliers, a short lived U21 team and links to an attempt to drive RL in local schools which saw several schools adopt the sport. This work was led by a local teacher with support from the club.  Oxford RL were also big on the Sky Try RL scheme with another southern club complaining too many resources were dedicated to Oxford.

There were hopes and plans. Yes they were largely unfulfilled but it doesn't mean there weren't plans.

There were plenty of hopes and plans and the directors were ALL super RL guys with the best intentions.

I am saddened that it did not work out for them as they deserved success for all the effort and money that was put in.

Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Its a national league, clubs know what they are signed up for.. same as the championship and SL

Ah right. The clubs all knew about Cornwall. Good for them in keeping it so secret!

• Confused 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Sixteen years  ago you had no footprint in Europe.

Holland, Russia and Serbia were the only countries playing the game. World cup qualifiers then Georgia came and went.

Now we have a European A ,B,C and D  competition.

The game is in a healthy position all over Europe, at basic level , its took a long long time but we are getting there.

But again the UK heartland (Yorkshire and Lancashire )people that wont even accept a team in Cornwall are maybe  holding the game back.

Think about it .

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I wonder if this Cornwall venture will satisfy Perez? He has spent the last decade building towards having Canadian clubs in the Rfl which somehow he half accomplished and would have if it wasn't for Covid, to end up in Cornwall.

I just wonder when Covid blows over whether he will return to his original dream back in Canada.

7 hours ago, yanto said:

Holland, Russia and Serbia were the only countries playing the game. World cup qualifiers then Georgia came and went.

The game is in a healthy position all over Europe, at basic level , its took a long long time but we are getting there.

But again the UK heartland (Yorkshire and Lancashire )people that wont even accept a team in Cornwall are maybe  holding the game back.

Think about it .

Agree with all this, as an aside though is there actually a C competition? I can’t remember it happening but I guess Greece would have been in it, and maybe Norway? 

8 hours ago, yanto said:

Think about it .

In that same time, the UK pyramid now has Coventry, West Wales, North Wales, Toulouse, Catalans - and we've seen a few go by the wayside, including Oxford, All Golds, Toronto etc. 

Let's not be so insecure to rewrite facts and history because some people think things should be better planned and funded. 

1 hour ago, Omott91 said:

I wonder if this Cornwall venture will satisfy Perez? He has spent the last decade building towards having Canadian clubs in the Rfl which somehow he half accomplished and would have if it wasn't for Covid, to end up in Cornwall.

I just wonder when Covid blows over whether he will return to his original dream back in Canada.

I must admit, I like Perez, a lot don't appear to trust him, but I'm interested to see what he can do here. 

As you say it'll then be interesting to know if Canada is still part of his masterplan. 

• Like 4