Clubs on the up vs clubs on the slippery slope

2 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yeah you got me, I clearly lied about it. And I agree now its a terrible stadium 🙄

If you are too stupid or disengenous to see that a commenwealth sized stadium even with reduction built for athletics will not be suited for a unestablished rugby league team I can´t help you. 

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If you are too stupid or disengenous to see that a commenwealth sized stadium even with reduction built for athletics will not be suited for a unestablished rugby league team I can´t help you. 

Look, we can agree to disagree or not but quit it with the insults. Had enough of this discussion now 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Perhaps you could suggest a venue in the West Midlands that would fit the bill?

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

True of many clubs but at least the infrastructure is in place to actually generate revenue and make it more likely people stay get involved. 

I was also uncertain about their new ground and when it would be ready and/or if they were just tennants to a female football team 

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Perhaps you could suggest a venue in the West Midlands that would fit the bill?

Honestly I don´t think there is one except the one you are in, which I why I don´t think it will work. Unless you found a non league football club to invest into their infrastructure for a portion of the ground. Let me waste some hours this weekend and I´ll get back to you. 

1 hour ago, The storm said:

With regards to Hull, i just think they should be a major rugby league force. 

Im not a big fan of Adam Pearson even though a lot of hull fans see it differently

I know for a fact that he creates negative situations and the current ground crisis is somehow not his fault. 

But hull need to have a good season 

Fair comments. I aren't Pearson's biggest fan myself if I'm honest. He has done a lot of good things for the club, but he is prone to saying things in the heat of the moment when he really ought to keep his thoughts to himself. Also some of his comments about the running of the game in general make him come across as overly negative and bitter. Which is a shame because I think they probably come from a good place. I think he does have the future of the game at heart.

When you say about a ground crisis, I assume you are referring to the relationship with the SMC? Well you may or may not be aware that Hull City are currently in the process of being sold, and the SMC is included, meaning it will be under new management. So hopefully that's a good opportunity to wipe the slate clean and get a good working relationship again. Whether Pearson himself was partly responsible for the problems is up for debate, but the Allam's were pretty much universally hated even amongst Hull City fans. There are loads of examples of pettiness and hostility shown by the SMC, and not all were even aimed at Hull FC necessarily.

I agree we need a good season, or at least an improved season where we are able to compete with the top sides. I do see it as a transitional period though. A number of high earners who have been around for a long time are likely to leave at the end of year. Sneyd leaving early is the start of it. It will be a very busy year for recruitment I imagine. 

I am sad to say that athletics stadiums for watching rugby are awful as any club that moves into one will find out ,they are soulless.

Ask any West Ham fan about the olympic stadium and that's even after the seating has been moved closer to the pitch seating is also flatter than in a proper football/rugby stadium.

I remember Fulham/London Crusaders at Crystal Palace there was more atmosphere down the road at Beckenham crematorium on match days:(

Paul

20 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Lose the argument and resort to insults.😑

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Next year is a stop gap and it's about 40/45 mins drive. Both venues are fairly equidistant from Coventry 

Was there not a rugby union club in the north of the city, closer to Alexander Stadium? Or would it not have been better to stay in Coventry for one more year? This stop-gap season seems very risky, as you're going to be uprooting from Cov, moving 45 minutes away, and then in a year's time you'll be moving again to the other side of the city.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Was there not a rugby union club in the north of the city, closer to Alexander Stadium? Or would it not have been better to stay in Coventry for one more year? This stop-gap season seems very risky, as you're going to be uprooting from Cov, moving 45 minutes away, and then in a year's time you'll be moving again to the other side of the city.

As I have stated before staying at the BPA was not an option and there is no  other suitable place in Coventry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Lots of reasons why Birmingham/Solihull was chosen which have already been mentioned elsewhere. The new 'home' is the long term aim. In the scheme of things 1 year won't make a difference 

47 minutes ago, The storm said:

I thought about sheffield but they are heavily invested in mark aston, and if he left the club would suffer very badly 

Isn’t that the case with Newcastle too? And York, Leigh, and Hull KR, and probably some of the others? That’s professional sport for you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Lots of reasons why Birmingham/Solihull was chosen which have already been mentioned elsewhere. The new 'home' is the long term aim. In the scheme of things 1 year won't make a difference 

Was Moseley ever on the table out of interest? They've got a decent stand there if memory serves.

15 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Was it just from a financial point of view or have they started taking on additional tenants to make usage more difficult?

Purely financial. 

The 80% cutting in central funding and the refusal of the landlords to help us grow. Despite them getting 100% of the takings from the bar they didn't even try to help themselves to help us.

We now have an opportunity to grow, we have investment and a new challenge.

From being down and out we now have a future.

Will it work? Well at least we can say we tried rather than just died. Sorry to spoil the wake for the miserable Jeremiahs on here

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Back onto the topic in the OP, I'm surprised that a few clubs haven't been mentioned as being on the 'slippery slope', namely Oldham and Swinton - both playing miles away from their home location with dwindling and ageing fanbases. You can possibly add Hunslet into that, albeit they do actually play in Hunslet.

Perhaps Oldham and Swinton are more down at the bottom of the slope rather than 'on' it?

Being a bit more controversial, I think Salford could be at the top of what might be a slippery slope. If they don't build their fanbase once they move to Moor Lane, where next for them? Probably finding a level in the Championship / SL2

As for the Bulls, I'm not convinced we are 'on the up'. Most Bulls fans wouldn't trust Nigel Wood as far as they could throw him, and I remain to be convinced that we can do much more than maintain the level we are at now without someone coming in with real wealth (which hasn't happened in the past decade of decline)

• Like 2

I'm amazed how many folk who probably have never set foot in a Bears Game suddenly have an opinion about the club and will happily tell those on here, that have spent the last 20 years establishing RL in the Midlands,  that they are doing it all wrong... 

Edited by Rach
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Purely financial. 

The 80% cutting in central funding and the refusal of the landlords to help us grow. Despite them getting 100% of the takings from the bar they didn't even try to help themselves to help us.

That's a shame. It had seemed such a good venue for you. You hear similar stories from so many other RL clubs who are tenants at RU grounds.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Back onto the topic in the OP, I'm surprised that a few clubs haven't been mentioned as being on the 'slippery slope', namely Oldham and Swinton - both playing miles away from their home location with dwindling and ageing fanbases. You can possibly add Hunslet into that, albeit they do actually play in Hunslet.

Perhaps Oldham and Swinton are more down at the bottom of the slope rather than 'on' it?

Being a bit more controversial, I think Salford could be at the top of what might be a slippery slope. If they don't build their fanbase once they move to Moor Lane, where next for them? Probably finding a level in the Championship / SL2

As for the Bulls, I'm not convinced we are 'on the up'. Most Bulls fans wouldn't trust Nigel Wood as far as they could throw him, and I remain to be convinced that we can do much more than maintain the level we are at now without someone coming in with real wealth (which hasn't happened in the past decade of decline)

Why would you distrust NW? From one step removed, it looks to me like he is putting in the effort with a view to restoring the Bulls. I can’t see any personal upside for him from this... 

2 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Lose the argument and resort to insults.😑

No I said that the new ground is not near public transport links. He said it was 10-15 mins by train (it isn´t it´s 25 so not true) or people can get an Uber (so not a transport link as understood by anyone). He then tried to equivocate that when I said the venue is not fit for purpose for an unestablish rugby league club I was talking about how the venue isn´t appropriate for the commonwealth games. I guess if you build your own strawmen you can ´win the arguement´. 

Being from Shropshire and having lived in Birmingham and with all of us knowing the sport, when has being stuck behind an athletics track ever worked? College or Academy games fine but a club is hard. That aside, sad to hear that Bears didn´t get to keep any revenue which makes it pointless at Coventry. 

Same with a lot of clubs that RFL needs to examine if clubs aren´t able to generate their own revenue what are we really doing? I guess with the athletics track you can roll in stands behind the goal (ala Enfield Town) but the ground is still going to be way too big for the club you have to feel. I don´t mind disagreeing and do it alot on here but people lying about distances, transport and being deliberately disengenous about what people are saying are a waste of time so I mute them. 

When I am back in the UK I´ll get down to wherever they are based in Brum . 

Edited by ShropshireBull

43 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

That's a shame. It had seemed such a good venue for you. You hear similar stories from so many other RL clubs who are tenants at RU grounds.

Just makes me think RFL is better targeting clubs so if we expand it´s with enough cash to gain enough stake to avoid this than piecemeal efforts.  

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I thought about putting salford as a club on the up

Really good squad for 2022

Great new pathways 

Some really good peopke involved in the club 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Especially when Keighley are "on the up" with terrible kits and publicity stunts like the Captain Tom gates.

Strange comment, compare Keighley 2/3 years ago to Keighley now and they are undeniably on an upwards trajectory, terrible kits or otherwise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The storm said:

I thought about putting salford as a club on the up

Really good squad for 2022

Great new pathways 

Some really good peopke involved in the club 

If the ground gets sorted then I'd agree.

I get why people are tipping us for relegation as we were very poor last season but our recruitment has been very good once again and I'm struggling to pick many holes in the squad.

• Like 1

I’ve not commented on this forum for a good couple of years , but I can’t let a couple of ill informed comments go unchallenged (esp Paul Walker). Don’t underestimate Swinton Lions . Yes relegated on the field this year (injuries the prime reason), but there is immense off field development progress taking please which will underpin the club moving forward  . The Lions have also retained and recruited well for 2022, and in my opinion will be the team to beat in L1 next year. 

• Like 2