Stadium updates .......

36 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

If its a good size stand with hospitality boxes then it might not be too bad for starters.

No such thing as "for starters"  ABC has already said Reds and town have to self fund the rest.

As a lot on here keep preaching that "existing facilities are a millstone round our necks"

That means if they cant afford to maintain what we already have - then they definitely cannot afford to build anything in future.

SO if this goes ahead that is what will be for the foreseeable. 

One new stand overlooking a pile of rust - forever

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

No such thing as "for starters"  ABC has already said Reds and town have to self fund the rest.

As a lot on here keep preaching that "existing facilities are a millstone round our necks"

That means if they cant afford to maintain what we already have - then they definitely cannot afford to build anything in future.

SO if this goes ahead that is what will be for the foreseeable. 

One new stand overlooking a pile of rust - forever

Absolutely no chance of town staying at DP, the club's already had the money for giving up the stadium lease, ABC are currently the landlords and town the tennant's until the new stadium is built.

22 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Absolutely no chance of town staying at DP, the club's already had the money for giving up the stadium lease, ABC are currently the landlords and town the tennant's until the new stadium is built.

Honestly your wasting your time with this one. He's on a wind up. 

A new modern grandstand is a start. If its this or nothing.... I'd still chose this. So long as it is built with a function room/bar that is actually befitting of hosting events other than on matchdays and a decent standard of facilities to attract matchday sponsors, it's better than bot clubs continuing how they are. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

You do realise we are talking about a Workington stadium Billy, you seem a bit over concerned about it. 🤔

"Eunuchorn" of course I am concerned about it, I live in Allerdale and I would not wish it all to end up a white elephant.

9 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

"Eunuchorn" of course I am concerned about it, I live in Allerdale and I would not wish it all to end up a white elephant.

You keep cutting me to the bone with that Eunochorrn jibe Billy. 🙄 so much wit and repoirtee, a modern day jam Oscar Wilde. I'm gonna have to tap out  if you keep this up, you're killing me. 😎

• Like 1

So the new stand at BP is catering for the stand users. Every time I've been to a Town match the vast majority of us have been on the popular side, so us popular siders are not getting a look in. When Town had to play on BP all places on the halfway line were seats, I prefer standing somewhere in line with half way. No chance on BP, its near the 20's. I stood on BP in the days of Risman and co and stood on DP from the first match played there. No way am I sitting to watch a game of RL.!! Even at my age. KT knows what I mean.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jacksonville said:

The seats in the popular side will surely be removed when the new stand is ready.

Does that mean the popular side will be all standing? I'm sure the capacity of Towns popular side is a lot more than that on BP

• Like 1

I do know what you mean my old friend maripins.  However with DP handed back to the council we have to leave there and with a new grandstand being built at BP then I suppose that is progress of sorts. It isn’t what everyone envisaged or wanted BUT it is the best two struggling clubs are going to get.

• Like 3

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Unfortunately when the DP lease was sold to the council, the projected stadium then looked very much different then to what's proposed now, but I'm guessing that money from the sale will be long gone, which unfortunately leaves the club with little option.

• Like 2

There is still standing areas on the halfway line at BP opposite the 'main stand'. The seating is only on the back part of the stand? Is not standing on the half way line really a valid enough reason to not either want the move, or stop following town all together?  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, townie88 said:

There is still standing areas on the halfway line at BP opposite the 'main stand'. The seating is only on the back part of the stand? Is not standing on the half way line really a valid enough reason to not either want the move, or stop following town all together?  

no ones seen the plans yet, or the additional funding either club has secured.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, town4me said:

So we're moving to BP which is getting a new main stand? I can see some fans calling it a day. 

I understand what you are saying and people's attachment to derwent park but this week was just the approval of the money available for the development, when plans are actually drawn up hopefully people may see it differently ,the new stand should be more comfortable with better sight lines and improved corporate facilities. 

On a side note where are the times and star at,surely they should be reporting what has happened and getting feedback from councillors and clubs

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

no ones seen the plans yet, or the additional funding either club has secured.

Agree, let's wait and see what's on the table. If both BODs think it will improve finances going forward and get more fans in, then it's a no brainer. I'm sure both sets of fans just want what's best for the club.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Agree, let's wait and see what's on the table. If both BODs think it will improve finances going forward and get more fans in, then it's a no brainer. I'm sure both sets of fans just want what's best for the club.

exactly mate, but also let's be realistic if this stadium falls through there is no money for the clubs to paper over the cracks of the current grounds, the town deals funding is for one purpose only. 

is there a long line of Reds and town fans willing to give up there own cash and time to keep open 2 run down stadiums.........probably not. 

Edited by rockerlad
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, maripins said:

Does that mean the popular side will be all standing? I'm sure the capacity of Towns popular side is a lot more than that on BP

I would say there will be only one grandstand, which will leave plenty of room for all who want to stand on the popular side.

1 hour ago, snoopdog said:

Unfortunately when the DP lease was sold to the council, the projected stadium then looked very much different then to what's proposed now, but I'm guessing that money from the sale will be long gone, which unfortunately leaves the club with little option.

With D.P. lease being sold to Allerdale B.C. what is D.P. earmarked for ? 

I am suspicious that someone is going to make a killing on the development of D.P. 

• Like 1

https://cumbriacrack.com/2022/03/03/next-stage-for-23-1m-investment-in-workington/

Workington could soon start to benefit from £23.1m in investment.  

Earlier this week (March 1), Allerdale Borough Council’s Executive committee agreed the business cases for five key projects in the town using funding from the government’s Town Deal pot. This is the first stage in the development of the projects.  

Now that they have been given the green light by Executive members, the next stage is for them to be considered by the government. After that, the projects would then move into the more detailed design phase before building work starts.  

The projects have been put together by the Town Deal Board which has representatives from local government and the Workington business and third sector communities.  

The projects include an improved community sports and leisure facility in the lower Derwent Park Valley which would include new facilities for Workington Reds football club and the town’s rugby league club, Workington Town.   

At the meeting, the Executive acknowledged that further work is required on a number of items in relation to this project, including the business plan and governance arrangements for the delivery and ongoing operation of the sports village.   

The business case makes clear how this project would take place over a number of phases.  

The initial phase would see around £5 million from the Town Deal, and a further £1 million from Allerdale Borough Council, providing a completely new grandstand and accompanying facilities and an all-weather pitch on the footprint of Borough Park. Subsequent phases would see the construction of further covered terracing.  

Alongside the stadium project are plans to provide a 3G community pitch on Lonsdale Park adjacent to the new stadium facilities. Discussions are underway for further funding for these facilities.  

Without this initial investment from the Town Deal and the council, it is unlikely that further funding and investment streams could be unlocked. The project team is already in constructive talks with potential funders for this second phase. The plans also include the possibility of improving pitch facilities at Moorclose too.  

The clubs would benefit from new and attractive, accessible sporting facilities which have the potential for further development phases as both the facilities and clubs grow.  

The two clubs are due to hold consultation events with their supporters in the coming weeks to give them an opportunity to discuss the plans.   

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

My only concern is the lack of space for the new Grandstand, the existing one is very close to the main road.

Might be that they build it on the sports centre side, I'm sure I remember something being said the the grandstand will house facilities for the all weather pitch too, so the grandstand sits in between the main pitch and the community pitch.

• Like 2