Reports coming out that Matt Parish is stepping down. Huge news and something that was badly needed for Samoa. They have underperformed for years and have usually looked poorly coached and badly out of condition when it comes to end of season tournaments. Aided to that he had lost the support of the players, to the extent they sent a letter to the Samoa's Prime Minister and the Samoan RL board last year to try and oust him.

The talk is of the John's brothers taking over. I am not a fan at all of the way they have touted themselves for the Samoa coaching role but hopefully they persuade some more quality players to get on board, who wouldn't play for Parish. Hopefully this can be Samoas Tonga moment:

Edited by Damien
  • Like 4

A combination of John Morris as head coach with the Johns brothers assisting would be a rather good outcome if it can be organised relatively quickly.

Morris really overachieved during his time at Cronulla given the constraints he was under and by all reports the playing group were extremely disappointed when he was sacked, could prove to be a quality Woolf-type appointment.

Good to see there will be games for Fiji/PNG and Samoa/CI.

You'd think there would be plenty of coaches interested in the role if reports of Parrish leaving are true. Brad Fittler also?

Imagine a camp with Fittler and the Johns brothers!! 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

You'd think there would be plenty of coaches interested in the role if reports of Parrish leaving are true. Brad Fittler also?

Imagine a camp with Fittler and the Johns brothers!! 

Party central.

Based on the issues with Samoa in recent years they will need someone that will keep them in check and out of KFC once the NRL season ends.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

Party central.

Based on the issues with Samoa in recent years they will need someone that will keep them in check and out of KFC once the NRL season ends.

You'd be able to write a book or two on that camp!

I know the Johns brothers have both done some coaching at clubs, coaching half backs etc (and im sure more than just that), but I think it would be a bit of an odd appointment, considering the other potential coaching options out there.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

You'd be able to write a book or two on that camp!

I know the Johns brothers have both done some coaching at clubs, coaching half backs etc (and im sure more than just that), but I think it would be a bit of an odd appointment, considering the other potential coaching options out there.

I do think international RL is a completely different kettle of fish than a regular coaching role. For a team like Samoa you are essentially getting an elite group of players for a very short period of time and it is all about getting them encouraged, motivated, focussed and playing cohesively as a team. I don't think you need to be a master coach to do that and indeed trying to reinvent the wheel could be counter productive. I think simply getting the right person and character who can facilitate getting the best out of the team is more important. Whether the Johns brothers could do that remains to be seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTK said:

A combination of John Morris as head coach with the Johns brothers assisting would be a rather good outcome if it can be organised relatively quickly.

Morris really overachieved during his time at Cronulla given the constraints he was under and by all reports the playing group were extremely disappointed when he was sacked, could prove to be a quality Woolf-type appointment.

Good to see there will be games for Fiji/PNG and Samoa/CI.

As I said previously, what about Greece v Lebanon, they will be nearly all Aussie's, no overseas travelling involved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do think international RL is a completely different kettle of fish than a regular coaching role. For a team like Samoa you are essentially getting an elite group of players for a very short period of time and it is all about getting them encouraged, motivated, focussed and playing cohesively as a team. I don't think you need to be a master coach to do that and indeed trying to reinvent the wheel could be counter productive. I think simply getting the right person and character who can facilitate getting the best out of the team is more important. Whether the Johns brothers could do that remains to be seen.

You do need a degree of discipline, as the NRL mentality often seems to switch off after the GF.

And you also need the kind of coach who can get combinations of players working well together at short notice.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

Beat me to it Damien, I was thinking exactly the same, as well as being figureheads I am sure the John's Boys after a lifetime in the game will have picked up enough on tactics and strategies to formulate some game plans.

It took a disciplined coach in Kristian Woolf to take Tonga from where they were (just a bunch of big hitters with no real direction) to an actual competitive and coherent team. The Samoans, who used to beat Tonga most of the time, seem to have gone in the opposite direction.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

how would the strongest possible samoa team look?

I don’t watch enough NRL to be able to name their strongest squad, but looking at the players that could be available to them in the Wikipedia player pool section, they are going to be a very strong side that will challenge England/Tonga/Australia/New Zealand. It does seem strange Parish has been able to hold the position for so long with such a poor set of results.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoa_national_rugby_league_team 

A 2021 list of eligible players, according to the Everything Rugby League site. Soliola's retired since then, Karmichael Hunt surely can't be considered at this stage of his career, and there are a few who may declare for Australia/New Zealand instead. But still, more than a few impressive names there.

John Asiata, Payne Haas, Karmichael Hunt, Jamayne Isaako, Richie Kennar, Danny Levi, Anthony Milford, Keenan Palasia, Ben Te’o, Dunamis Lui, Josh Papalii, Iosia Soliola, Christian Crichton, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Ava Seumanufagai, Erin Clark, Herman Ese’ese, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Sam Lisone, Greg Marzhew, Phillip Sami, Josh Aloiai, Josh Schuster, Toafofoa Sipley, Jorge Taufua, Martin Taupau, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Dean Ieremia, Aaron Pene, Marion Seve, Bunty Afoa, Leeson Ah Mau, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Edward Kosi, Jazz Tevaga, Hymel Hunt, Simi Sasagi, Pasami Saulo, Sauaso Sue, Enari Tuala, Daejarn Asi, Connelly Lemuelu, Francis Molo, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Murray Taulagi, Dylan Brown, Isaiah Papali’i, Junior Paulo, Nathaniel Roache, Stephen Crichton, Spencer Leniu, Moses Leota, Jarome Luai, Tyrone May, Charlie Staines, Izack Tago, Brian To’o, Patrick Mago, Tautau Moga, Jaxson Paulo, Jaydn Su’a, Junior Amone, Poasa Faamausili, Max Feagai, Tyrell Fuimaono, Josh McGuire, Jordan Pereira, Brad Abbey, Isaac Liu, Joseph Suaalii, Tom Amone, Shawn Blore, Michael Chee-Kam, Asu Kepaoa, Joseph Leilua, Luciano Leilua, Ken Maumalo, Thomas Mikaele, Zane Musgrove, David Nofoaluma, Tommy Talau, Daniel Saifiti, Jacob Saifiti, Hamlin-Uele, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Royce Hunt, Franklin Pele

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not taking into account eligibility I’ll have a quick go off that list 

1) Hamiso Tabuai - Fidow

2) David Nofoaluma

3) Joseph Suaalii

4) Stephen Crichton 

5) Brian To’o

6) Junior Amone

7) Jarome Luai

8 ) Payne Haas

9) Jazz Tevaga

10) Josh Papalii 

11) Isaiah Papali’i

12) Tino Fa’asuamaleaui

13 ) Nelson Asofa - Solomona

14) Marty Tapau

15 ) Josh Schuster

16) Junior Paulo

17) Chanel Harris- Tevita

I was just typing up this possible team based on eligibility.  But some of these will be on the radar of the Kangaroos and Kiwis.

1. Hamiso Tabuai Fidow (Cowboys)

2. Brian To’o (Panthers)

3. Izack Tago (Panthers)

4. Stephen Crichton (Panthers)

5. Ronoldo Mulitalo (Sharks)

6. Jerome Luai (Panthers)

7. Dylan Brown (Eels)

8. Payne Hass (Broncos)

9. Danny Levi (Huddersfield Giants)

10. Josh Papalii (Raiders)

11. Isaiah Papalii (Eels)

12. Jayden Su’a (Dragons)

13. Tino Fa’asuamaleauai (Titans)

14. Jamayne Isaako (Titans)

15. Leciano Leilua (Tigers)

16. Junior Paulo (Eels)

17. Nelson Alofa Solamona (Storm)

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was just typing up this possible team based on eligibility.  But some of these will be on the radar of the Kangaroos and Kiwis.

1. Hamiso Tabuai Fidow (Cowboys)

2. Brian To’o (Panthers)

3. Izack Tago (Panthers)

4. Stephen Crichton (Panthers)

5. Ronoldo Mulitalo (Sharks)

6. Jerome Luai (Panthers)

7. Dylan Brown (Eels)

8. Payne Hass (Broncos)

9. Danny Levi (Huddersfield Giants)

10. Josh Papalii (Raiders)

11. Isaiah Papalii (Eels)

12. Jayden Su’a (Dragons)

13. Tino Fa’asuamaleauai (Titans)

14. Jamayne Isaako (Titans)

15. Leciano Leilua (Tigers)

16. Junior Paulo (Eels)

17. Nelson Alofa Solamona (Storm)

Would be great though if a big majority of these names declared for Samoa . This WC is the most open and competitive probably ever 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Would be great though if a big majority of these names declared for Samoa . This WC is the most open and competitive probably ever 

More probably will declare for Samoa, now Parish is gone.

Even if his replacement isn't the best choice of coach, that already strengthens the side just in numbers of top players. I'm very much looking forward to see who announces their availability during the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

That pack and bench is immense. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 hours ago, Damien said:

Reports coming out that Matt Parish is stepping down. Huge news and something that was badly needed for Samoa. They have underperformed for years and have usually looked poorly coached and badly out of condition when it comes to end of season tournaments. Aided to that he had lost the support of the players, to the extent they sent a letter to the Samoa's Prime Minister and the Samoan RL board last year to try and oust him.

The talk is of the John's brothers taking over. I am not a fan at all of the way they have touted themselves for the Samoa coaching role but hopefully they persuade some more quality players to get on board, who wouldn't play for Parish. Hopefully this can be Samoas Tonga moment:

TFFT He has been hard to remove than #### from a blanket

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

A 2021 list of eligible players, according to the Everything Rugby League site. Soliola's retired since then, Karmichael Hunt surely can't be considered at this stage of his career, and there are a few who may declare for Australia/New Zealand instead. But still, more than a few impressive names there.

John Asiata, Payne Haas, Karmichael Hunt, Jamayne Isaako, Richie Kennar, Danny Levi, Anthony Milford, Keenan Palasia, Ben Te’o, Dunamis Lui, Josh Papalii, Iosia Soliola, Christian Crichton, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Ava Seumanufagai, Erin Clark, Herman Ese’ese, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Sam Lisone, Greg Marzhew, Phillip Sami, Josh Aloiai, Josh Schuster, Toafofoa Sipley, Jorge Taufua, Martin Taupau, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Dean Ieremia, Aaron Pene, Marion Seve, Bunty Afoa, Leeson Ah Mau, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Edward Kosi, Jazz Tevaga, Hymel Hunt, Simi Sasagi, Pasami Saulo, Sauaso Sue, Enari Tuala, Daejarn Asi, Connelly Lemuelu, Francis Molo, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Murray Taulagi, Dylan Brown, Isaiah Papali’i, Junior Paulo, Nathaniel Roache, Stephen Crichton, Spencer Leniu, Moses Leota, Jarome Luai, Tyrone May, Charlie Staines, Izack Tago, Brian To’o, Patrick Mago, Tautau Moga, Jaxson Paulo, Jaydn Su’a, Junior Amone, Poasa Faamausili, Max Feagai, Tyrell Fuimaono, Josh McGuire, Jordan Pereira, Brad Abbey, Isaac Liu, Joseph Suaalii, Tom Amone, Shawn Blore, Michael Chee-Kam, Asu Kepaoa, Joseph Leilua, Luciano Leilua, Ken Maumalo, Thomas Mikaele, Zane Musgrove, David Nofoaluma, Tommy Talau, Daniel Saifiti, Jacob Saifiti, Hamlin-Uele, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Royce Hunt, Franklin Pele

These guys are no Reece Lyne, Dan Sarginson and Niall Evalds that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

These guys are no Reece Lyne, Dan Sarginson and Niall Evalds that's for sure.

What's wrong with Niall Evalds, he is a quality full back.

3 minutes ago, Tony Angelino said:

Unfortunately for Samoa they’d most likely only be able to pick their squad after NSW, Queensland and New Zealand have picked theirs which for me lessens the occasion.

Maybe but Australia can only pick 24 for the WC. When you have Tedesco, Turbo (x2 plus Jake), Mitchell, Cleary, Munster, Papenhuyzen, Keary, Grant, Cook, Campbell Haas, Fifita, Gillard, Radley, Murray etc. - you can't really load your squad with Samoans and Tongans and weaken those teams.