Can IMG make Rugby League into a more successful sport?

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

On LoveRL, though like alot of RL social media they spend too much time talking yoonion, they said the restructure will mean a real dogfight to finish as near the top as possible. What that means to me is less games that are good to watch, they might be dramatic and edge of seat but more for the outcome than the rugby.

A season of million pound games sounds like a turn off.

Doesn't sound good. Promotion/relegation with less teams?

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Doesn't sound good. Promotion/relegation with less teams?

I suspect P&R will turn out to be unnecessary quite soon.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

12 minutes ago, Oxford said:

On LoveRL, though like alot of RL social media they spend too much time talking yoonion, they said the restructure will mean a real dogfight to finish as near the top as possible. What that means to me is less games that are good to watch, they might be dramatic and edge of seat but more for the outcome than the rugby.

A season of million pound games sounds like a turn off.

“We need more jeopardy”

”Woah…not THAT much jeopardy”

Rugby League, it’s bipolar. No, it isn’t!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Rugby League, it’s bipolar. No, it isn’t!

I was going for a simple, Yes!

Then I realised we might be insulting sufferers of that mental condition.

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It already is. Toulouse add more to the SL than Leigh or Fev ever will. I'm not in favour of kicking anyone out or just bringing in Bradford or London but SL need be realistic about which teams are more valuable for TV deals.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

It already is.

I agree.

Just now, NW10LDN said:

Toulouse add more to the SL than Leigh or Fev ever will.

I can't agree but I understand why you say this.

1 minute ago, NW10LDN said:

I'm not in favour of kicking anyone out or just bringing in Bradford or London but SL need be realistic about which teams are more valuable for TV deals.

The reason this might be on the cards has nothing to do with value. That's something marketing people can create, develop and enhance.

London in terms of adding to SL marketing possibilities will always be 100 times more important than any northern team. That's not because of the way the world works but the way the UK works.

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

I agree.

I can't agree but I understand why you say this.

The reason this might be on the cards has nothing to do with value. That's something marketing people can create, develop and enhance.

London in terms of adding to SL marketing possibilities will always be 100 times more important than any northern team. That's not because of the way the world works but the way the UK works.

I think London need to sort themselves out first though. Plough Lane would have been a great ground for SL but it was premature.

5 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

I think London need to sort themselves out first though. Plough Lane would have been a great ground for SL but it was premature.

I think the whole point needs to how the sport will sort London out. Part of the problem as always been the attitude and policy of expansion and all clubs come to that simply fending for themselves. With IMG that should change dramatically, at least I hope so. A sport wide approach and even a world view approach is needed for an undervalued and underachieving sport.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

Personally although a big fan of London Broncos expansion etc we also have to accommodate the traditional clubs.

How this balance is struck can only be done if SL 2 Championship call it what you want clubs get a decent slice of the SKY wedge.

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

I can't help but feel London Broncos are done as a top flight club. I think London RL would need a relaunch if we were to elavate them to the top division. 

For me, the Broncos are damaged goods, a small club now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I can't help but feel London Broncos are done as a top flight club. I think London RL would need a relaunch if we were to elavate them to the top division. 

For me, the Broncos are damaged goods, a small club now.

Unless they found 20 mill down the back of a sofa at red Hall , not happening 

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

It already is. Toulouse add more to the SL than Leigh or Fev ever will. I'm not in favour of kicking anyone out or just bringing in Bradford or London but SL need be realistic about which teams are more valuable for TV deals.

I want Toulouse in SL.

Could you give a tangible benefit what they're bringing to SL that Leigh / Fev would not?

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I want Toulouse in SL.

Could you give a tangible benefit what they're bringing to SL that Leigh / Fev would not?

A potential paying TV deal in France 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I want Toulouse in SL.

A bigger market to tap into. Over 1 million people in the metropolitan area.

Just now, MattSantos said:

Potential..

How does that impact SL?

A bigger market will lead to a more valuable TV deal. Wakefield already has 2 clubs. Featherstone don't increase the exposure of the sport.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

I’d be surprised if IMG allow for the big reset of ‘22 to be decided entirely on the pitch, in the same way it wasn’t during the big reset of ‘96.