Tottenham Hotspur Pitch

8 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I just call it soccer to (gently) annoy people, and to up-end the global pecking order. It's not the only football code, haha...

No real offense meant to those that prefer ''football''.

Correct and I have no issue with other codes using the word, its others on here who seem to object to the round ball game using the term football.

Down under there are three codes that use the term 'footy' or football (Association, Rugby League and Australian Rules). They seem to survive without trying to dictate where it can and cannot be used. Strangely the Union crowd dont seem to refer to their games as footy but I might be wrong...it could therefore be 4 codes of footy.

If soccer came from Oxford University thats another reason for the rest of the world using the more accurate term football.

Probably couldnt get their tongues around the letter 'F' with all those plums in their gobs.

So, what we have learned from this thread.

1. A stadium not designed to host Rugby League will have to make some small compromises on the layout of the pitch to host a Rugby League game.

2. Some people get annoyed when you call (Association) Football Soccer.

You learn something new every day.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

1. A stadium not designed to host Rugby League will have to make some small compromises on the layout of the pitch to host a Rugby League game.

3. There is a Canadian poster who really needs to get out more.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Wait until you find a fan of the Tricky Trees in London this weekend and refer to them as Notts Forest. Great fun.

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

We've also learned if a stadium is architecturally amazing, one of the world's best,  if it can't hold a RL game as good as say Craven Park then it's absolute pants and should never have been chosen and RL must never besmirch itself by going there ever again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Correct and I have no issue with other codes using the word, its others on here who seem to object to the round ball game using the term football.

Down under there are three codes that use the term 'footy' or football (Association, Rugby League and Australian Rules). They seem to survive without trying to dictate where it can and cannot be used. Strangely the Union crowd dont seem to refer to their games as footy but I might be wrong...it could therefore be 4 codes of footy.

If soccer came from Oxford University thats another reason for the rest of the world using the more accurate term football.

Probably couldnt get their tongues around the letter 'F' with all those plums in their gobs.

misrepresentation and sheer invention on your part: "others on here who seem to object to the round ball game using the term football."

You can call it what you want. I have no objection.  We call it soccer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

misrepresentation and sheer invention on your part: "others on here who seem to object to the round ball game using the term football."

You can call it what you want. I have no objection.  We call it soccer.

Who is we exactly ?

The English can call it football if they want. But I'm a Widnesian, and if I want to call football soccer, trousers pants, fans speccies, and egg n' chips chips n' egg I will do. *blows raspberry in general direction of the unenlightened*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Wait until you find a fan of the Tricky Trees in London this weekend and refer to them as Notts Forest. Great fun.

I made that mistake once.

It's not a mistake you tend to make twice.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Stotty said:

The English can call it football if they want. But I'm a Widnesian, and if I want to call football soccer, trousers pants, fans speccies, and egg n' chips chips n' egg I will do. *blows raspberry in general direction of the unenlightened*

Those chemical factories have a lot to answer for😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

3. There is a Canadian poster who really needs to get out more.

To be fair if you lived in Canada this forum would be the highlight of your week.

Looking forward to the final and my first time in New WHL - the old stadium was one of the best football stadiums in the UK, so I'm expecting great things come Saturday- just hope the final its self is a great game as I've not seen a real classic CCF in years.

• Like 1