Directors statement

The Voodooguru

6 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Ground maintenance,

I think that may be the cheapest item on your list? Because I know a team of excellent volunteers do a lot of work in this respect which possibly saves the club a few quid?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, chromedome said:

And there we have a handicap that can never be solved in favour of both west Cumbria outfits - the players start well, full of commitment, then the long mileage wears them out.

hence the need to be as self sufficient as possible and not dilute the ever diminishing player pool between the two clubs (well that's my opinion but everyone has their own views on what is a very contentious subject)  

14 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I think that may be the cheapest item on your list? Because I know a team of excellent volunteers do a lot of work in this respect which possibly saves the club a few quid?

there wouldn't be a club at all without the band of volunteers - I tip my hat to them all as they all deserve our gratitude, from the Directors who do a bloody thankless job (I can't see what enjoyment they get out of it !) as well as the volunteers who give up their time for the love of the club every matchday and inbetween doing all the mundane unseen jobs around the ground - all unsung heroes in my eyes!

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, chromedome said:

structural maintenance, electrical maintenance, plumbing maintenance  pitch maintenance. no matter how many volunteers clubs have those things do not come cheap, and with ageing stadiums it will be costing more and more each year sadly 😕

52 minutes ago, chromedome said:

And there we have a handicap that can never be solved in favour of both west Cumbria outfits - the players start well, full of commitment, then the long mileage wears them out.

Unfortunately that's why you need a predominantly local team plus the travellers should  probably be overseas players - housing wont be cheap but it will fix the travelling problem.

Plus most of the overseas Pacific Islanders etc are usually quite big lads.

46 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The last time I saw a full detailed set of accounts for the club, about 4 years ago, the ground maintenance cost was about £60k for the year. That was just to keep the ground up to standard to keep the safety certificate. Some of that probably related to the speedway too so it’s maybe a bit less now but I’d still say it’s £30-£40k a year at a conservative estimate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The last time I saw a full detailed set of accounts for the club, about 4 years ago, the ground maintenance cost was about £60k for the year. That was just to keep the ground up to standard to keep the safety certificate. Some of that probably related to the speedway too so it’s maybe a bit less now but I’d still say it’s £30-£40k a year at a conservative estimate.

I wouldn't bet against it mate. its a lot of money to be spending every year. 

10 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Its dead money, money we cant spend on players, training equipment, all kinds of other things team related. If we split the difference and go with £50k then thats over double the rumoured central funding for clubs in League 1 next season, where we will be. So immediately we have lost any funding and need to find £25k just to start the season.

17 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

structural maintenance, electrical maintenance, plumbing maintenance  pitch maintenance. no matter how many volunteers clubs have those things do not come cheap, and with ageing stadiums it will be costing more and more each year sadly 😕

20 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

Oh here we go again - all the problems caused by having an ageing stadium - what a load of ####.

Should we have just pulled it down like you lot did instead of maintaining it?

A new stadium wont maintain itself either - it too will have costs

Do you think those same volunteers are going to be working in a shared stadium?

As well as all the general maintenance they do now - they will have the extra work of both types of posts to go up and down  weekly and pitch marking weekly, totally changing not just topping up.

Whereas they have all week to sort the ground after a match sometimes a fortnight [or in our case more than a month because of the idiot at RFL who does fixtures] that wont happen again - the work will/could be too much for volunteers - so a team might have to be brought in to do this - at a cost?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Unfortunately that's why you need a predominantly local team plus the travellers should  probably be overseas players - housing wont be cheap but it will fix the travelling problem.

Plus most of the overseas Pacific Islanders etc are usually quite big lads.

Back when we got a few hundred K for the Squash club. I told the then Chairman dont spend this money on players!!

Buy  a couple of Townhouses that could accommodate overseas/travelling players.

Think how much easier that would have been to attract players over the years!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Oh here we go again - all the problems caused by having an ageing stadium - what a load of ####.

As well as all the general maintenance they do now - they will have the extra work of both types of posts to go up and down  weekly and pitch marking weekly, totally changing not just topping up.

Whereas they have all week to sort the ground after a match sometimes a fortnight [or in our case more than a month because of the idiot at RFL who does fixtures] that wont happen again - the work will/could be too much for volunteers - so a team might have to be brought in to do this - at a cost?

it certainly won't cost what it is costing now, and yes reds pulled the stand down all those years ago. a lot of it was woddern and had to come down after the Bradford fire (correct me if I'm wrong) and the club couldn't afford to build a new one. the costs now of maintaining the popular side and town end will not be cheap.

Say it costs town 30k that's next seasons cental funding gone already on another off season of papering over the cracks. that will eventually death of botha clubs.

if a new facility can be used everyday of the year, pitch hire, function room hire and so on it should in theory pay for its self and not be left to the clubs to pay for every off season. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

it certainly won't cost what it is costing now, and yes reds pulled the stand down all those years ago. a lot of it was wooden and had to come down after the Bradford fire (correct me if I'm wrong) and the club couldn't afford to build a new one. the costs now of maintaining the popular side and town end will not be cheap.

I stand to be corrected here, but the Reds could have had funding to build a new grandstand 15-20 years ago from the FA as they were helping fund clubs who had old wooden grandstands, but they couldn't proceed as Allerdale would never extend their lease on the ground longer than 5 years or something like that?

I can remember the Chair - Dobie??? complaining about it in the paper about how it was stopping them improving the ground and progressing up the non-league ladder

2 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I stand to be corrected here, but the Reds could have had funding to build a new grandstand 15-20 years ago from the FA as they were helping fund clubs who had old wooden grandstands, but they couldn't proceed as Allerdale would never extend their lease on the ground longer than 5 years or something like that?

I can remember the Chair - Dobie??? complaining about it in the paper about how it was stopping them improving the ground and progressing up the non-league ladder

quite possibly true, every extension we seemed to get was only 5-10 years so we could never make any significant Improvements or apply for fund for that reason. it held the club back massively.

12 minutes ago, chromedome said:

How do you find this news? Anyone else gone?  🤫

It’s on Town’s social media - Conor Davies released with immediate effect to join Dewsbury.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

26 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Think we need to send for 'The Little Dutch Boy'...........🤨

Big hole to plug marra, perhaps think twice before signing average players from overseas in first place, just a thought

2 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

How long do you think it takes to mark a pitch & put up modern day posts,there not made out of old telegraph poles.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

well having read some of the last few comments it's clear that a lot of our supporters have no idea how a business works or the costs associated with running a professional RL club....

Not sure what you are saying here other than that you are an accountant/business man. Are you saying we shouldn't expect anything more than what's happening now and lump it?

23 minutes ago, DocH said:

Not sure what you are saying here other than that you are an accountant/business man. Are you saying we shouldn't expect anything more than what's happening now and lump it?

Absolutely not, there’s a basic misunderstanding from people who have never ran or been involved in that side of a business as to how things run.

you hear it all the time, punters in a busy pub on a Saturday night telling the landlord he must be ‘rolling in it’ without understanding that for the rest of the week he’s dead, so all the Saturday takings carry the business for the following week.

all businesses are the same in that respect, but as well as the obvious costs of player contracts and transport, there’s also the other expenses which aren’t visible such are employer NI and pension contributions which all add up.

my suggestion was for a simple easy to read balance sheet which might enlighten supporters to the issues faced by the club.

im not patronising anyone (not intentionally anyway), I just think some clarity is required and if an open meeting is called then better to have  all the information to hand 

Time to get behind the club,build and go again,there will always be supporters and players to keep the club going, cumbrian part time players is the way to go,until town can generate some funds to buy players from away.but that's the key town have to start promoting the club to sponsors and using the ground more to generate money.

• Like 2