Jump to content

Directors statement


The Voodooguru
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Decent coach for mine, but as with so many in the past, let down by  inadequate investment

Think he has the attributes to make a good coach but he's not there yet for me, going with a small mobile pack in league 1 left us with a bigger head ache in the championship.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Onreport said:

Decent coach for mine, but as with so many in the past, let down by  inadequate investment

Possibly a victim of his own success by getting promoted too soon. On top of that I suspect he had a limited budget. I'd like him to stay and work on a longer term plan.

Edited by town4me
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The next few statements should be interesting, but it sounds like we're accepting relegation and just going to see the season out while cutting costs.

I still think getting rid of Thorman would be a huge mistake, who would we replace him with that would show the commitment and effort not just with the team, but the club as a whole.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, dkw said:

The next few statements should be interesting, but it sounds like we're accepting relegation and just going to see the season out while cutting costs.

I still think getting rid of Thorman would be a huge mistake, who would we replace him with that would show the commitment and effort not just with the team, but the club as a whole.

I would go and try and see if Charlo and Oglanby would come back if Thorman does get sacked, would be a cheap option who to be fair had done well down the road, won them the league and got them to the playoffs last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dkw said:

The next few statements should be interesting, but it sounds like we're accepting relegation and just going to see the season out while cutting costs.

I still think getting rid of Thorman would be a huge mistake, who would we replace him with that would show the commitment and effort not just with the team, but the club as a whole.

Agree, he still has credit in the bank for me although sometimes this season I've  been pulling my hair out with certain tactics. But we are all armchair Wayne Bennett's aren't we? 🤣

Chris has made a big commitment to Town, let's hope its not the end of the road just yet.

  • Like 3

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris has made mistakes I'm sure he would admit to that but he has also shown massive commitment to our club, how many coaches do you know would even sleep in the office to save money on hotel costs ? He has worked his socks off to bring in a more professional attitude  throughout the club, I for one would like to see  what he could do with a bigger/better budget .UTT 🔵⚪

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think Chris has to stay he's a good coach and maybe we should have stayed in championship 1 for another year just to sort out players for the next season and build a team slowly for the championship.We should be learning this year as it does look like we are going down There has been weeks we've Town have looked like a team that could win a few games but a been unlucky things went against us the ball hitting our own players right into the opposition arms then them scoring all these things hasn't helped .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, dkw said:

The next few statements should be interesting, but it sounds like we're accepting relegation and just going to see the season out while cutting costs.

I still think getting rid of Thorman would be a huge mistake, who would we replace him with that would show the commitment and effort not just with the team, but the club as a whole.

100%, even Bennet and Belly ache Bellamy could not have survived with current squad,  yes big questions on some recruitment decisions but what  finances were available? How many times were we told money available?  Clearly either it wasnt or someone made decision not to spend!  

Edited by Onreport
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Onreport said:

100%, even Bennet and Belly ache Bellamy could not have survived with current squad,  yes big questions on some recruitment decisions but what  finances were available? How many times were we told money available?  Clearly either it wasnt or someone made decision not to spend!   

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Onreport said:

100%, even Bennet and Belly ache Bellamy could not have survived with current squad,  yes big questions on some recruitment decisions but what  finances were available? How many times were we told money available?  Clearly either it wasnt or someone made decision not to spend!  

How many signings didn't materialise as well, told we had money to spend but no players available when other teams around us were getting players no problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tbgfc said:

How many signings didn't materialise as well, told we had money to spend but no players available when other teams around us were getting players no problem.

 Prior to CT given a full time  contract, that was to mirror his 5 year plan for the club, was a financial business plan in place does anyone no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tbgfc said:

How many signings didn't materialise as well, told we had money to spend but no players available when other teams around us were getting players no problem.

Yep, all very strange, we never seemed to struggle to get players in the past??

Plus how many aspiring locals have left, certainly a few questions to be answered

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't think for one minute that the club doesn't have a sound business plan based on sensible financial predictions, but with the best will in the world it's very difficult for the board and coach to persuade part-time players to travel to west Cumbria week in week out for a game of rugby in what was always going to be a difficult first season in the Championship!

I have no idea what an average Championship wage is, but for example, if I lived in West Yorkshire and was offered £200 a week to play for Dewsbury / Sheffield or £250 to play for Town I know what I would choose, and I guess that's part of the problem in that Town are having to pay over the odds for players who can't get fixed up with a contract closer to home 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JMB said:

 Prior to CT given a full time  contract, that was to mirror his 5 year plan for the club, was a financial business plan in place does anyone no.

I assume there was was/is a plan in place. whether or not promotion was the idea in Chris's first year in charge  remains a mystery but I would say all teams are aiming for promotion and promotion is what we got. What has happened after that has been quite embarrassing.

Giving a largely unproven coach a full time contract seems ludicrous regardless of whether or not he slept on the floor of an office to save money is irrelevant, Chris chose to go with the team he put in place signing umpteen hookers when we were crying out for props, signing the Davis brothers then not playing them is bizarre. Hats off for switching the team around putting Jammer at 13 and matty at 6 to try something new but the fact that that had been mentioned on here in the days before the Fax game is very suspicious and I would hate to think our coach is being influence by us arm chair critics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Yep, all very strange, we never seemed to struggle to get players in the past??

Plus how many aspiring locals have left, certainly a few questions to be answered

I would of thought given Chris's links to Huddersfield we would of had some sort of deal in place with them for loans at least, other teams have them. It has to come down to lack of money as to why we couldn't sign players or our coach isn't as well thought of in the game as we assume.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tbgfc said:

I would of thought given Chris's links to Huddersfield we would of had some sort of deal in place with them for loans at least, other teams have them. It has to come down to lack of money as to why we couldn't sign players or our coach isn't as well thought of in the game as we assume.

Yes that has baffled me as well? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Meeting called at Haven now..... Merger or bust I reckon for both clubs

Play in the best stadium - Town, and merge the names to keep both sets of fans happy - Workington Jam.

Roll on next season.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, tbgfc said:

I would of thought given Chris's links to Huddersfield we would of had some sort of deal in place with them for loans at least, other teams have them. It has to come down to lack of money as to why we couldn't sign players or our coach isn't as well thought of in the game as we assume.

It's the issue that somany good local lads have moved on, these should have been the future of the club, the future spine of the club, it's very disappointing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, JMB said:

It's the issue that somany good local lads have moved on, these should have been the future of the club, the future spine of the club, it's very disappointing.

Impossible to keep happy with out an A Team and as we see week in week out fickle fans only follow a winning team hence the big drop in gate numbers.

Need established players to compete in the championship and as much as I would like a local team, the talent in Cumbria isn't developed enough or have a local route to develop to championship standard. Young players don't seem to have the enthusiasm to wait in the wings for their opportunity no more. It would take quite a few years developing a local team in league one to get to championship standard, so we're left with competing for the same small pool of established players with Haven.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tbgfc said:

Impossible to keep happy with out an A Team and as we see week in week out fickle fans only follow a winning team hence the big drop in gate numbers.

Need established players to compete in the championship and as much as I would like a local team, the talent in Cumbria isn't developed enough or have a local route to develop to championship standard. Young players don't seem to have the enthusiasm to wait in the wings for their opportunity no more. It would take quite a few years developing a local team in league one to get to championship standard, so we're left with competing for the same small pool of established players with Haven.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Meeting called at Haven now..... Merger or bust I reckon for both clubs

I would hope at some point both clubs would at least sit down and start the discussion of a possible merger to form a new club as I can't see how either is us could ever challenge at Championship level now, and it's pretty obvious to all and sundry that the current format within professional RL will be contracting in the next 2-3 years as the game doesn't appear to be sustainable in its current format of 3 divisions without substantial TV revenue of which the Super League clubs will want the lions share 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...