IMG - Thought's, suggestions and comments to move the game forward

7 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Protection didn't cause London to collapse. It was poor ownership decisions. Moving stadium and changing your brand doesn't help to retain supporters.

Poor ownership? No amount of "ownership decisions" could ever have solved their player problems (players not wanting to move south as McDermott said)  or their money problems (Hughes limited investment, low crowds, having to rent stadia)..

5 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Poor ownership? No amount of "ownership decisions" could ever have solved their player problems (players not wanting to move south as McDermott said)  or their money problems (Hughes limited investment, low crowds, having to rent stadia)..

I'm not sure you can describe Hughes' investment as limited - it's north of £10 million. The fact that it wasn't enough to overcome bad choices/underlying conditions (pick your preferred) is a separate issue.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The main reason IMO why Catalans were able to grow as they have is because of the stability they had that came with the years they had of no relegation. If the other clubs had the same stability they could do the same knowing that one bad season on the field wouldn’t ruin everything which would lead to more clubs being able to compete for the top places.

Not in my book it wasn't. Mr. Bernard Gausch's riches have been poured into his club for years now.

Superleague is a rich owners club. Once a club adds up it's income as a limited company, it then needs to have or find an owner who is happy to put in enormous amounts of money every year.

As it stands such as Wakey don't have that rich owner, but Leigh do. It will be money that in the end sees these clubs changing places........

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I'm not sure you can describe Hughes' investment as limited - it's north of £10 million. The fact that it wasn't enough to overcome bad choices/underlying conditions (pick your preferred) is a separate issue.

It was limited in terms of what he needed to run a successful Superleague club in London. Hughes and Tony Rae in the end admitted they didn't have the money to be a Richard Branson level club and agreed to pack it in, but Mr Hughes loved the club too much to do that. Fans moan about him probably because they think he should throw even more money away than he does.....

3 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Fans moan about him probably because they think he should throw even more money away than he does.....

Nope.

Wrong again.

Nobody moans about the level of money he puts in. It's a remarkably high amount.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If they are in your top comp to generate wider commercial reach and audience exposure sure.  If they are scattered across 3 divisions whilst your top league is a northern belt with two french teams,  no. 

I was wondering who would bite Salop, it was tounge in cheek to Big Picture.

6 hours ago, steve oates said:

NOT an "Idea" read this  Club chairman backs French Super League teams despite lack of TV deal (loverugbyleague.com)

Let me now ask you what power do you believe IMG have over the Superleague chairmen to impose any recommendations IMG may (in your words) "want"  especially keeping both French clubs in Superleague??? 

The reality is going to 2X10 and keeping both French clubs in Superleague leaves how many English clubs left in their own top tier??  The French are guests, the English clubs are members......

The French clubs are staying Steve. Get over it. The French are members of the Super League which is a European competition. Batley, Featherstone, Halifax, ect don't offer anything and won't see Sky increasing their deal.

Edited by NW10LDN

Seems like that 2x10 isn't popular and I would have to agree because I don't think it solves the issues at hand. The French clubs have to stay. Removing them would be a hugh blow to French rugby league. A fully professional league in France is not realistic. Maybe the best thing is too expand the SL to 14 and just set strict minimum standards. It doesn't rule out promotion for any club.

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

Seems like that 2x10 isn't popular and I would have to agree because I don't think it solves the issues at hand. The French clubs have to stay. Removing them would be a hugh blow to French rugby league. A fully professional league in France is not realistic. Maybe the best thing is too expand the SL to 14 and just set strict minimum standards. It doesn't rule out promotion for any club.

Whatevee happens i will continue to support my own team widnes. 

I think IMG will look past teams like mine. 

They will go for Newcastle, catalan, toulouse, london, wales, leeds, wigan, saints, warrington, hull kr, cumbria and cornwall for super league 1

I reckon 2.5 million per year funding from sky 

This undoubtedly will mean also finding a new supporter base with the traditional base supporting clubs in superleague 2

Hull, widnes, salford, castleford, huddersfield, leigh, wakefield, barrow, keighley, sheffield, doncaster, york, bradford bulls, rochdale hornets, swinton, featherstone, whitehaven, workington  and halifax vying it out

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The storm said:

They will go for Newcastle, catalan, toulouse, london, wales, leeds, wigan, saints, warrington, hull kr, cumbria and cornwall for super league 1

This undoubtedly will mean also finding a new supporter base with the traditional base supporting clubs in superleague 2

Hull, widnes, salford, castleford, huddersfield, leigh, wakefield, barrow, keighley, sheffield, doncaster, york, bradford bulls, rochdale hornets, swinton, featherstone, whitehaven, workington  and halifax vying it out

Hull KR are not getting in over FC. None of the SL clubs will vote for a structure like this.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Callum Walker and Mick Gledhill - what a combination. And this was discussed a few weeks ago, assume he has just listened to a old podcast. 

Would love to know where this Dublin team is going to be.

44 minutes ago, The storm said:

Are you going to open up the overseas player's allowed in SL? there are Hardly any more British player's capable of making the leg up to SL even as individual's never mind in big number's to populate teams which will be required by those you suggest, even at 30 player's per team that is another 150 to find.

37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Callum Walker and Mick Gledhill - what a combination. And this was discussed a few weeks ago, assume he has just listened to a old podcast. 

That site is dreadful

My personal faviourite as the worst rugby league site, closely followed by love rugby league. 

The state of rugby league journalism at this time (if you can call it journalism) is very poor. 

I come on this site, as it is pretty good

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

Hull KR are not getting in over FC. None of the SL clubs will vote for a structure like this.

I think Hull FC will struggle in the new age. 

They are already slipping behind Rovers

2 hours ago, NW10LDN said:

Would love to know where this Dublin team is going to be.

I'd love to know why Mick Gledhill thinks the public in Dublin or Edinburgh would care about having a team which would play the likes of St Helens, Warrington or Wigan in enough numbers to make either one viable too.  @Dave Tyou lived up in Scotland for a time, what would the locals there make of those opponents coming to town?

Edited by Big Picture

5 hours ago, The storm said:

No new structure will leave Hull FC out of the top division. They could be one of the biggest clubs in the country if they ever get their act together.

• Like 1