D-Day England release new kit! (Needs it's very own thread)

2 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

That kit is epic. Probably my favourite England kit.

Not sure if you're lost of not.  This is a rugby league forum.  The OP is regarding the new Englans RL shirt.

Happy to point you in the direction of a good football forum, just let me know 👍🏻

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

That kit is epic. Probably my favourite England kit.

Was it the first, or close to being the first, England football kit you saw?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Maybe but Id ask the question, why?

Well, clearly there is a lot of love for the GB shirt, but England is the longer term team that we will play as (where there is never much love for the shirt). So, put England effectively in a GB shirt and you get the most recognisable international ‘brand’ for England RL … hence why I’m thinking this is step 1. 

You could argue we should have adopted the GB kit back in 2008 (or whenever GB effectively disbanded)

• Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

47 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Well, clearly there is a lot of love for the GB shirt, but England is the longer term team that we will play as (where there is never much love for the shirt). So, put England effectively in a GB shirt and you get the most recognisable international ‘brand’ for England RL … hence why I’m thinking this is step 1. 

You could argue we should have adopted the GB kit back in 2008 (or whenever GB effectively disbanded)

I disagree with adopting the GB brand but anyway let’s say this is the tactic, just do it, there’s no need for step 1, just keep some red in the design and you’re pretty much at the final step, and it keeps the England colour in there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I think it would be disrespectful to the various Welsh, Scottish and (puts tin hat on) Irish players who have represented GB over the years if England adopted the shirt. After all, the two captains who have lifted the world cup for GB were Scottish and Welsh.

That said, it's something I can completely imagine the RFL doing...

Edited by RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I can see the "transitioning GB to England" argument. 

Start with the blue (navy in this case so it's slightly different), fans want red, meet in the middle.

Think they'll then adopt the new lion logo from their online media.

image.png.0ed9f0af0b160fbef238dd307b2afa59.png

GB should be used if we ever tour Australia and NZ for test matches, that ‘brand’ is far more well known over there.

Mind you I can’t see that happening any time soon.

Theres no need to migrate the GB brand into England, just concentrate on building the England brand.

That lion head logo is an absolute mess compared to the GB lion which is a stone cold classic and shouldn’t be messed with as it’s pretty much perfect as far as logos go. Probably more through luck than design 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

The mane looks very messy. Although I expect there are 13 clumps of hair or some such link...

I think it’s literally just lifted from one of the lions in the England badge which is why it looks a mess.

Put it alongside that ###### typography on ‘we aRe ReaDY’ and it just looks ######

Edited by Chrispmartha
  • Like 1

Seriously, I don't mind the lion head. Like said, it's lifted off the England badge. Everyone's a critic these days! It's either too simple or too complex; too messy or too tidy! 

I think the more well known an entity is, the more overly-critical the comments are. If all this was on a League 1 side, people would probably be saying it's brilliant!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

22 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Seriously, I don't mind the lion head. Like said, it's lifted off the England badge. Everyone's a critic these days! It's either too simple or too complex; too messy or too tidy! 

I think the more well known an entity is, the more overly-critical the comments are. If all this was on a League 1 side, people would probably be saying it's brilliant!

In fairness I’m probably overly critical because it’s what I do for a living

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

GB should be used if we ever tour Australia and NZ for test matches, that ‘brand’ is far more well known over there.

Mind you I can’t see that happening any time soon.

Theres no need to migrate the GB brand into England, just concentrate on building the England brand.

That lion head logo is an absolute mess compared to the GB lion which is a stone cold classic and shouldn’t be messed with as it’s pretty much perfect as far as logos go. Probably more through luck than design 😉

How so? GB haven't played in Australia for 16 years. England has played the last 15-20 tests in Australia. Who is it known with? Nobody under 30.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How so? GB haven't played in Australia for 16 years. England has played the last 15-20 tests in Australia. Who is it known with? Nobody under 30.

Has England ever played a proper Test Series against Australia either here or in Australia?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Has England ever played a proper Test Series against Australia either here or in Australia?

Have Australia played a proper Test series against anyone in the past decade?

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think people need to move on from GB. The next generation only really know England. When Scotland leave in the next referendum, it'll be pointless anyway!

I think it would be a massive shame (both Scotland leaving and dropping GB)

We have over a century of history within our game playing as GB, some of the most iconic moments in our sport are from GB

I still think there’s a place for it if done properly.

• Like 4

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I still think there’s a place for it if done properly.

I think the sport needs to reshape itself massively from where it is now for that to be true. (We may get to that point but it's not a tomorrow or the day after thing.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think the sport needs to reshape itself massively from where it is now for that to be true. (We may get to that point but it's not a tomorrow or the day after thing.)

Totally they need to start putting proper schedules and plans in place not winging it from year to year.

With the likes of Tonga and Samoa really progressing there’s a real opportunity to capitalise on it and get a decent schedule of international fixtures planned in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Totally they need to start putting proper schedules and plans in place not winging it from year to year.

With the likes of Tonga and Samoa really progressing there’s a real opportunity to capitalise on it and get a decent schedule of international fixtures planned in.

Agreed. How good would it have been to have a series against Tonga or Samoa instead of the usual NZ?

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Agreed. How good would it have been to have a series against Tonga or Samoa instead of the usual NZ?

And for these teams, including PNG and Fiji, a profitable tour will help them to make themselves independent of the NRL.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

We have over a century of history within our game playing as GB, some of the most iconic moments in our sport are from GB

But that history has already been put aside. GB no longer compete in the world cup (not since 1992), and the plan is that they won't for the Ashes either, if and when that next happens. What then is left for GB to do? Tour aimlessly like they did in 2019?