Sat 6th-Sun 7th Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

24-6 Crusaders with 10 to play in the first half after two quick tries. They’re playing down the hill, but look significantly stronger and more physical than a spirited Cornwall side.

Atmosphere is great though and fair play to the announcer who is keeping this going! 

Just watched the game on our league, Cornwall did well, we looked not on our game, just happy with the win if not the scoreline. 

Elsewhere, much closer than expected at Swinton, thought they may have just pipped cougars but not quite....the run-in and final league positions is going to be interesting!!! 

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

1 hour ago, FearNothing said:

Just watched the game on our league, Cornwall did well, we looked not on our game, just happy with the win if not the scoreline. 

Elsewhere, much closer than expected at Swinton, thought they may have just pipped cougars but not quite....the run-in and final league positions is going to be interesting!!! 

We've looked a bit edgy recently, got the bye next week to reorganise. Be nice to know where/when the Swinton game's being played - it's a steam weekend at Blist Hill Victorian Town so I'd like to know what day's RL and which steam. 

• Like 1

The Swinton v Cougars game has to be the best match this season in League One it had everything and was a classic. It you get chance to see the highlights i recommend you watch.

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Good grief . Oldham 39-0 up with about 20mins to go. Final score 41-36. 🤔

Hurricanes also had a perfectly good first-half try disallowed for a knock-on which is annoying given the final score. Too many mistakes though and too long to find the aggression needed to get through the Oldham defence.  

• Like 1

Enjoyed the our league coverage this afternoon and pleased with the win. That was a very spirited second half from Cornwall, and the Memorial Ground looks like a really nice setting, shame I'm working tomorrow so couldn't go.

Sounded like a cracking game at Swinton. A win for Lions would have given them a big advantage over us for a second place finish. Just want to know where and when we are playing them for our last game of the season, I've booked time off work for the Saturday and need to know if I need to change it for the Sunday.

After today's results, we are now the last team who can mathematically finish with more points than Keighley, although Cougars are just one win from clinching the title with their huge points difference.

Edited by fearnowt
  • Like 1

For all the latest news on North Wales Crusaders, please click on the link below to the new club website.

https://www.nwcrusaders.co.uk/

Swinton v Cougars was the best game of the season that I'vd seen so far this season.

Two teams realyl going for it with some massive tackles and great tries.

Played in the right spirit with two sets of fans which really appreciated the effort of the players.

A great day out.

• Like 3

Thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon again at Penryn.

Top points to the Crusaders fans on all fronts. They brought a good number, were probably the most vocal we have heard all year and the Hawaiian shirts were brilliant!

Cornwall gave a spirited show, albeit just naive in places and you could see the quality difference on the pitch. Having said that, Cornwall had spells where they were far more composed and reassured than they ever would have been in April or May this year. Real noticeable progress that showed they had come on leaps and bounds both in defence and attack.

Aaronson signing for another year is a great marker for next year and hopefully we can see some more fire power in the forwards to just get the momentum going and win some rucks. At the moment, that seems to be killing us.

Oldham in 2 weeks at home is definitely winnable on our day. I'm hoping for a big crowd and a close game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tiffers said:

Thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon again at Penryn.

Top points to the Crusaders fans on all fronts. They brought a good number, were probably the most vocal we have heard all year and the Hawaiian shirts were brilliant!

Cornwall gave a spirited show, albeit just naive in places and you could see the quality difference on the pitch. Having said that, Cornwall had spells where they were far more composed and reassured than they ever would have been in April or May this year. Real noticeable progress that showed they had come on leaps and bounds both in defence and attack.

Aaronson signing for another year is a great marker for next year and hopefully we can see some more fire power in the forwards to just get the momentum going and win some rucks. At the moment, that seems to be killing us.

Oldham in 2 weeks at home is definitely winnable on our day. I'm hoping for a big crowd and a close game.

I was one of the Cru fans who made the trip down. There were 14 on our minibus but overall we had just shy of 40 fans there by my count. The set up in Cornwall was excellent and we had a great dya chatting with people in Penryn, Falmouth and at the ground.

Cornwall had some excellent spells during the game ans easily deserved their 12 points. Crusaders bombed a couple of tries bu the final score was probably fair.

Thanks to all at Cornwall for making it a great matchday experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, gogledd said:

I was one of the Cru fans who made the trip down. There were 14 on our minibus but overall we had just shy of 40 fans there by my count. The set up in Cornwall was excellent and we had a great dya chatting with people in Penryn, Falmouth and at the ground.

Cornwall had some excellent spells during the game ans easily deserved their 12 points. Crusaders bombed a couple of tries bu the final score was probably fair.

Thanks to all at Cornwall for making it a great matchday experience.

It's genuinely fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Memorial Ground. And hats off to your lot for making themselves known with the singing!

Everyone at the club is so keen upon making it a great away day for visiting clubs (and RL fans in general) in the coming years, so your words count for a lot.

I'd like to say 'see you next year', but not sure you'll be keen from a promotion perspective!!

1 hour ago, ChristianB said:

It's genuinely fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Memorial Ground. And hats off to your lot for making themselves known with the singing!

Everyone at the club is so keen upon making it a great away day for visiting clubs (and RL fans in general) in the coming years, so your words count for a lot.

I'd like to say 'see you next year', but not sure you'll be keen from a promotion perspective!!

I think we'll be in the fight for promotion - so I'll hold off booking my trip to Penryn 2023 until at least the end of September!

• Like 1