Playing and Watching Rugby League in Days Gone By

Remember going to Huyton in the 70's and the teams and officials from the club walked across the pitch in a line looking for broken bottles stuck in the pitch,and they locked us in once the game kicked off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnh1 said:

The bloke with 'The end is nigh' poster stood outside the ground.

I think that bloke must post on here sometimes, such is the doom and gloom.

Always used to see him outside Naughton Park in the 80s: I'm told he was a Jehovah's Widnes.

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

I think that bloke must post on here sometimes, such is the doom and gloom.

Always used to see him outside Naughton Park in the 80s: I'm told he was a Jehovah's Widnes.

That should be a yellow card at least.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

Well he was outside because he kept knocking on the door to get in and they pretended no one was in and wouldn’t open it 

• Haha 1

On 19/08/2022 at 09:52, BadlyOverdrawnBoy said:

If it was a park pitch, getting there early for a dog sh** and broken glass survey.

Our ground was next to a golf range so as well as the above it was essential to get rid of the golf balls which was not as easy as you'd think.

Until the son of one player realised he could sell them. Job done! 

On 22/08/2022 at 11:44, Agbrigg said:

No kicking tees just turf divets and toe end kickers

Yes , putting your heel in to make a little mound to kick off . Then technology advanced to a little cup full of sand . Toe end kickers always looked weird , never quite got that one although Big Mal always seemed to nail one when it mattered 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes , putting your heel in to make a little mound to kick off . Then technology advanced to a little cup full of sand . Toe end kickers always looked weird , never quite got that one although Big Mal always seemed to nail one when it mattered 

'The poor lad' didn't though in 1968.

• Like 1

I remember him at Swinton for a cup final against Widnes. He warned us that going into the ground was exposing us to those who were guilty of adultery and sodomy. Checking out the fans, I concentrated on the ones who appeared more likely to fancy adultery.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes but Todmorden is still a West Yerkshure town in Calderdale it's little wonder there were strange going ons, travel another mile or so west and you reach civilisation.😀

From Wikipedia:

The key date in Bacup's cultural calendar is Easter Saturday, when the Britannia Coconut Dancers beat the bounds of the town via a dance procession.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 23/08/2022 at 09:39, Fevrover said:

Remember going to Huyton in the 70's and the teams and officials from the club walked across the pitch in a line looking for broken bottles stuck in the pitch,and they locked us in once the game kicked off.

I remember parking up at Alt Park, and this little kid of no more than 10y.o. said in his scouse accent "mind yer car for a quid mister" he was holding half a brick and tossing it in a manner which said if you don't yer car gets this.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I remember parking up at Alt Park, and this little kid of no more than 10y.o. said in his scouse accent "mind yer car for a quid mister" he was holding half a brick and tossing it in a manner which said if you don't yer car gets this.

And no dout you would have done.

1 minute ago, Fevrover said:

And no dout you would have done.

I Had to,

Telling the tale many years later someone said it happened to him, and there were a number of kids, he said to them he didn't need his car minding as he was leaving his dog inside, one of the kids said "can the dog put fires out"!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I Had to,

Telling the tale many years later someone said it happened to him, and there were a number of kids, he said to them he didn't need his car minding as he was leaving his dog inside, one of the kids said "can the dog put fires out"!

Good grief 😔