Fri 26th-Sun 28th Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

6 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Then I’d like to watch the video to learn the error of my ways.

And to watch the incident on Harris just before halftime whereby the Sheffield player looked to be digging his forearm into his neck, which according to the Sheffield fan he deserved 👌

I'm sure York will sell you a copy.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

The referee was talking to the Safety Officer about crowd abuse that Farrell was getting.

Ahh thanks for confirming the Referee 🙂 it did seem strange, that he didnt tell the players

17 minutes ago, mozzauk said:

Ahh thanks for confirming the Referee 🙂 it did seem strange, that he didnt tell the players

He didn't blow his whistle to restart the game either.

On the eight tackles set, he just lost count.   Anybody can make a mistake and, fortunately, this one had little or no consequence.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

3rd place pretty much guarenteed for Fax now barring a miracle and with 2 games to spare which is an improvement on last season. Just 2 losses in the last 20 games we have to be delighted with and we can now start planning for the playoffs with the luxury of been able to be very selective what we do for the last 2 games of the season.

As for todays game a little disappointed with the final score and the game on the whole. Bradford turned up to niggle and slow the game down at every opportunity which we expected but the game was really poorly officiated and I just feel like I wasted money turning up to see the referee rather than turn up to watch a game of rugby and its no surprise to me that he lost his spot in SL. I lost count of sin binnings during the game, it may have been 4, but all were for niggly things rather than foul play which just suggests that the ref needed to get a grip early doors. Fax probably need to cut out a few penalties and maybe a little over playing but the reality is that a fair margin for todays game would have been a lot closer to 40 or 50 than what it actually were.

• Like 3

Happy enough with the Widnes effort this afternoon. Always going to be a damage limitation exercise. Given the size of the Leigh team and the way they dominated field position I'll take 42 - 4. Couple of other points, thought Ferguson was lucky to stay on the field after his "tackle" on Wilde and I got stung by a bloody Leigh wasp.

• Haha 1

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

24 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Happy enough with the Widnes effort this afternoon. Always going to be a damage limitation exercise. Given the size of the Leigh team and the way they dominated field position I'll take 42 - 4. Couple of other points, thought Ferguson was lucky to stay on the field after his "tackle" on Wilde and I got stung by a bloody Leigh wasp.

I’d like to see the tackle again as from where I was sitting it looked like a great tackle. I think the ref only gave the penalty because the player stayed down, usually if it’s bad there’s a reaction from team mates but there was nothing.

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

I’d like to see the tackle again as from where I was sitting it looked like a great tackle. I think the ref only gave the penalty because the player stayed down, usually if it’s bad there’s a reaction from team mates but there was nothing.

Didn't look great from were I was sat. Have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

40 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

I wondered where my pet wasp had got to!

No seriously I had nothing but admiration for the Widnes team especially in the second half they never gave up trying and to only concede three tries with the near perpetual onslaught in the Wdnes half was very very good, I don't know what view you had of the Doro tackle on O'Donnell but I will say in 60 years of watching this wonderful game it is one of the best tackles I have every witnessed, O'Donnell runs over people for fun but Doro stopped him in his tracks  without any regard for his own safety Doro threw his body at him, no wonder he had to leave the field immediately, and I thought the try Widhes scored on the last play of the game was well executed.

56 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

3rd place pretty much guarenteed for Fax now barring a miracle and with 2 games to spare which is an improvement on last season. Just 2 losses in the last 20 games we have to be delighted with and we can now start planning for the playoffs with the luxury of been able to be very selective what we do for the last 2 games of the season.

As for todays game a little disappointed with the final score and the game on the whole. Bradford turned up to niggle and slow the game down at every opportunity which we expected but the game was really poorly officiated and I just feel like I wasted money turning up to see the referee rather than turn up to watch a game of rugby and its no surprise to me that he lost his spot in SL. I lost count of sin binnings during the game, it may have been 4, but all were for niggly things rather than foul play which just suggests that the ref needed to get a grip early doors. Fax probably need to cut out a few penalties and maybe a little over playing but the reality is that a fair margin for todays game would have been a lot closer to 40 or 50 than what it actually were.

Oxy  when is the semi final and final for Championship? I can't find  it anywhere, cheers.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I wondered where my pet wasp had got to!

No seriously I had nothing but admiration for the Widnes team especially in the second half they never gave up trying and to only concede three tries with the near perpetual onslaught in the Wdnes half was very very good, I don't know what view you had of the Doro tackle on O'Donnell but I will say in 60 years of watching this wonderful game it is one of the best tackles I have every witnessed, O'Donnell runs over people for fun but Doro stopped him in his tracks  without any regard for his own safety Doro threw his body at him, no wonder he had to leave the field immediately, and I thought the try Widhes scored on the last play of the game was well executed.

It was the other end from me Harry so it was just one more tackle were we kept you out. We were outclassed today but never stopped trying and as a fan that's all you can ask for. Based on what I've seen this season it's yours to lose. Hope you do it and make a good fist of it next season.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

I attended this game as a neutral and think you've overegged the pudding somewhat.

Halifax came out playing some fabulous rugby and were completely dominant for 20 minutes with Jouffret the axle of everything they were doing well. On the back of a Fax error, the Bulls showed some real spirit to grind their way back into the game and Halifax stopped doing what they had done so well early on. It became a bit of a forward grind and both sides' discipline slipped a bit.

There was a lot of noise around me about the referee but he got most things right as far as I could see. George Flanagan is an utter grub but you can see why he gets a game because teams get riled by him.

Overall I really enjoyed my trip to the Shay and it was an enjoyable game to watch between two committed sides. Halifax clearly the better overall.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

51 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Oxy  when is the semi final and final for Championship? I can't find  it anywhere, cheers.

Weekends of 23 and 30 Sept.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Ive honestly no clue, I don't even know if the playoffs start straight away the week after the regular season ends. I imagine they will decide in the next 3 or 4 weeks.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I attended this game as a neutral and think you've overegged the pudding somewhat.

Halifax came out playing some fabulous rugby and were completely dominant for 20 minutes with Jouffret the axle of everything they were doing well. On the back of a Fax error, the Bulls showed some real spirit to grind their way back into the game and Halifax stopped doing what they had done so well early on. It became a bit of a forward grind and both sides' discipline slipped a bit.

There was a lot of noise around me about the referee but he got most things right as far as I could see. George Flanagan is an utter grub but you can see why he gets a game because teams get riled by him.

Overall I really enjoyed my trip to the Shay and it was an enjoyable game to watch between two committed sides. Halifax clearly the better overall.

I just realised I predicted us to win by 22 as well in the predictions so I would have taken that pre match but I just think theactually margin between the teams was a lot wider than the scoreline suggests.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

Must be at least that date as there is still 2 weeks of the season left and then the first round knock outs before the semis.

Sorry got the date wrong, but corrected that, In Leigh's case we gave two league fixtures left next week London away, then Batley home on the 11th Sept, we then have the next week off and play the semi which will be the weekend 24th/25th the final ys the following week end.

Week 1

3 v 6

4 v 5

One game on Sunday 18th, the other Monday 19th on Premier Sports. 

Week 2

1 v lowest ranked qualifier

2 v highest ranked qualifier

Both on Sunday 25th, back to back on Premier Sports

Week 3

Grand Final live on Premier Sports Sunday 2nd October

• Thanks 2
BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png

4 minutes ago, the man said:

Week 1

3 v 6

4 v 5

One game on Sunday 18th, the other Monday 19th on Premier Sports. 

Week 2

1 v lowest ranked qualifier

2 v highest ranked qualifier

Both on Sunday 25th, back to back on Premier Sports

Week 3

Grand Final live on Premier Sports Sunday 2nd October

🍻 cheers 🍻 

20 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I just realised I predicted us to win by 22 as well in the predictions so I would have taken that pre match but I just think theactually margin between the teams was a lot wider than the scoreline suggests.

Halifax definitely looked like they more quality but I did think Bradford deserved credit for their resolve and for knocking Fax out of their early stride (where it looked like the score could be anything). I thought Kibula and Wallace really took the fight to Halifax when they came off the bench.

Elliot Kear's chase down and tackle of Walmsley when the latter broke clear was a great play, a proper old school fullback cover tackle.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

46 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Halifax definitely looked like they more quality but I did think Bradford deserved credit for their resolve and for knocking Fax out of their early stride (where it looked like the score could be anything). I thought Kibula and Wallace really took the fight to Halifax when they came off the bench.

Elliot Kear's chase down and tackle of Walmsley when the latter broke clear was a great play, a proper old school fullback cover tackle.

Yeah I like the look of Kibula, certainly one of the few Bradford forwards that do run their weight and was a handful. Was hoping Walmsley could get a hatrick to tie it up at the top of the try scoring charts. Im not sure how many games Ritson has missed but Walmsley has missed a few so to be anywhere near is pretty good. Him and Ritson are certainly 2 of the stand out young talents in the Championship.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah I like the look of Kibula, certainly one of the few Bradford forwards that do run their weight and was a handful. Was hoping Walmsley could get a hatrick to tie it up at the top of the try scoring charts. Im not sure how many games Ritson has missed but Walmsley has missed a few so to be anywhere near is pretty good. Him and Ritson are certainly 2 of the stand out young talents in the Championship.

Yeah Ritson is just 1 try ahead of Walmsley in league Trys but for Trys in all comps this season Ritson has 30, having scored 5 Trys in the Challenge Cup, according to Barrows match commentator. 

• Like 1