Channel 4 or Sky?

Jughead

11 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Mine a lot of supporters i speak to opinions.

Doesn't mean its not nonsense 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

31 minutes ago, Padge said:

Doesn't mean its not nonsense 

Do you think the SKY coverage is equal or better than when we had Stevo and Eddie?.SKY went for the cheaper option Terry and Baz rather than try and up their game with better presenters than before.So the presentation has become tedious.I watch it when it is not on other channels but try to ignore the drivel.

35 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Do you think the SKY coverage is equal or better than when we had Stevo and Eddie?.SKY went for the cheaper option Terry and Baz rather than try and up their game with better presenters than before.So the presentation has become tedious.I watch it when it is not on other channels but try to ignore the drivel.

Terry and Baz where at Sky at the same time as Eddie and Stevo, and those two (E&S) a were slaughtered on this forum for years.

• Like 2

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

25 minutes ago, Padge said:

Terry and Baz where at Sky at the same time as Eddie and Stevo, and those two (E&S) a were slaughtered on this forum for years.

Yes, but now Eddie & Stevo are in the past, they are automatically better than whatever's the current option.

I don't make the rules; irrational rage and nostalgia does.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Is this your master plan. At that point will your billionaire mates step in to save the game. 

It's not a plan, just an observation.  It's a fact that Sky put the game on two years' notice to prove its value or else, and whether the game does that to their satisfaction remains to be seen but is by no means guaranteed.

At this point I have no "billionaire mates", but I do have what I think is a solid, detailed plan in which the sort of rich men who might otherwise consider buying into one of the established major pro sports leagues would see a ground floor opportunity in the major pro sports business with superior growth potential provided by its unique and unprecedented geographic reach, which they could be part of for a much lower investment than the cost of buying into one of those established major pro league which FYI starts at the 325 million US$ an MLS expansion franchise costs now.

And this is the one sport which could physically fit in existing stadiums in the cities where franchises would likely be based in which (unlike bigger, well-established sports) the governing bodies in the respective countries don't have the money, strength and connections to mount any serious opposition so their only real option would be to get behind it or get out of the way.

So if I can somehow line up a partner whose name and reputation those rich men know and respect and whose involvement could open their doors so the plan could be presented to them, the sky would be the limit.  And in the process RU could be crippled, though of course nothing would ever be said publicly about that.

Edited by Big Picture

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, but now Eddie & Stevo are in the past, they are automatically better than whatever's the current option.

I don't make the rules; irrational rage and nostalgia does.

I still do,  and always have maintained that Eddie Hemmings was very unfairly judged as a commentator.  But then I suppose that's what you get in RL! 

I do think in Dave Woods and Mark Wilson we have two very good ones right now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I still do,  and always have maintained that Eddie Hemmings was very unfairly judged as a commentator.

Like a lot of people in the media (not just RL), he just hung around too long. And his ability to both keep up with and describe the game did diminish in the later years.

He was the mouthpiece when the commentary started moving towards endless analysis of refereeing decisions rather than tactics. Whether that was him or the production can be answered by noting that the coverage is still quite often endless discussion of referees rather than tactics.

Stevo went stale before Eddie. Again, seemed to have been encouraged to play to the caricature of him rather than speak to his knowledge of the game. 

• Like 7

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Like a lot of people in the media (not just RL), he just hung around too long. And his ability to both keep up with and describe the game did diminish in the later years.

He was the mouthpiece when the commentary started moving towards endless analysis of refereeing decisions rather than tactics. Whether that was him or the production can be answered by noting that the coverage is still quite often endless discussion of referees rather than tactics.

Stevo went stale before Eddie. Again, seemed to have been encouraged to play to the caricature of him rather than speak to his knowledge of the game. 

I think even at their lowest,  and seeing the poor imitations that followed,  I can appreciate that even where they were performing I a  way that wasn't to my taste,  they were pretty good at it. 

As you say,  once commentators and pundits start to age and mess up words,  names etc.  I think we need to be more ruthless and move them on.  This field seems to play on sentimentality than many other jobs. 

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Ray French also went on far too long.

He also sat in the commentary seat beyond his sell buy date.

😉

• Haha 1