This week's disciplinary.

Dave T

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

They really should make it a weekly TV series. It would rival Eastenders for viewing figures 😀

None of that southern muck, coronation Street for me 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Two for Knowles and nothing for Welsby, which is right. Saints to appeal Knowles’ ban. 

I’m not sure why we’re appealing, it was pretty clear and we should get another added for a frivolous appeal. 

It depends exactly what he is charged with & the basis for the appeal. If it’s as poor as Leeds was in the Martin case then it should be deemed frivolous but if it has some real reason & rationale then, irrespective of the outcome, the appeal isn’t frivolous. 

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I thought Welsby had a previous ban?

The lower Graded bans are calculated automatically based on grading & previous within a set time frame so can’t have met the criteria.

You can check easily enough on the RFL site via a search. Mind you the site is not loading at the moment probably due to everyone trying to load it for some reason 😂

• Like 1

Just now, LeeF said:

The lower Graded bans are calculated automatically based on grading & previous within a set time frame so can’t have met the criteria.

You can check easily enough on the RFL site via a search. Mind you the site is not loading at the moment probably due to everyone trying to load it for some reason 😂

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2022/07/18/matautia-and-knowles-banned-but-welsby-free-to-play/

Welsby got a grade A in July, I thought that meant next grade A is a 1 match ban?

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2022/07/18/matautia-and-knowles-banned-but-welsby-free-to-play/

Welsby got a grade A in July, I thought that meant next grade A is a 1 match ban?

The lower end bans are automatic dependant upon previous & grading etc so presumably not. As I said you can’t check on the RFL site for the definitive answer as Ralph has switched the server off

No ban for Welsby, ban for Knowles - sounds like common sense to me.

Don’t think we should be appealing the knowes ban unless the point is to try and get him free for the first game of the WC? Or do England have a friendly it can be used in?

Edited by FearTheVee

6 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

No ban for Welsby, ban for Knowles - sounds like common sense to me.

Don’t think we should be appealing the knowes ban unless the point is to try and get him free for the first game of the WC? Or do England have a friendly it can be used in?

We have warm against Fifi that would complete the ban.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

31 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Two for Knowles and nothing for Welsby, which is right. Saints to appeal Knowles’ ban. 

I’m not sure why we’re appealing, it was pretty clear and we should get another added for a frivolous appeal. 

They won't care about any added games as that will affect England and not them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, north yorks trinity said:

I personally think it’s a waste of the time and effort and a proper appeal. We usually get these things right, not sure we have here. 

We’re never going to get it dropped from two to free to play and he’s free to play round one next year, so I just don’t see any reason to appeal what was a stupid and dangerous act. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris22 said:

This is what I think will happen.

Knowles will get banned for two matches. Saints will appeal (because there's nothing to lose in doing so). It will not be deemed frivolous, which of course will have nothing to do with the fact that 3+ matches will see him miss a World Cup match. This will highlight the ridiculous nature of club bans carrying to internationals.

Welsby will get nothing.

Fans will be in uproar regardless of what happens. The Saints appeal of Knowles' ban will especially boil blood.

I'd say that was quite accurate (and also fair).

Saints have nothing to lose by appealing. The best case is that the ban is overturned and Knowles plays. The worst case is that Knowles gets an extra match, served for England.

This highlights the absurdity of the RFL applying suspensions incurred domestically to internationals. It's a conflict of interest for potential England internationals such as Knowles and Bateman and also unfair on players like Dudson, who has been banned for playing for Wales for the World Cup by the English governing body.

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ok,

So my next querie is why did Rhyse martin get 1 game bans on both times he was charged with Grade A this year?

From memory didn’t he have at least a B from last season?

If you have his full record you can follow it through the process outlined in the link I posted 

Edited by LeeF

10 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Of course they will care if they care about Morgan Knowles - he will want to play a home World Cup not miss the first (huge) game of it.

I’d say this appeal has more to do with trying to get one match and be free for wc warm up rather than him playing on the GF which is a 0% chance of going down to zero matches on appeal.

Edited by FearTheVee

3 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I'd say that was quite accurate (and also fair).

Saints have nothing to lose by appealing. The best case is that the ban is overturned and Knowles plays. The worst case is that Knowles gets an extra match, served for England.

This highlights the absurdity of the RFL applying suspensions incurred domestically to internationals. It's a conflict of interest for potential England internationals such as Knowles and Bateman and also unfair on players like Dudson, who has been banned for playing for Wales for the World Cup by the English governing body.

Saints will have to pay any costs incurred with an appeal if they lose

4 minutes ago, LeeF said:

From memory didn’t he have at least a B from last season?

If you have his full record you can follow it through the process outlined in the link I posted 

I don’t know i can’t remember him getting a ban before but i could easily be wrong. Ill try check

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Jeez,  don't be adding another to the list!  🤣

I think 3rd man in is fine,  it's only if he attacks the knees against the joint,  and I think he was a bit higher. 

Actually,  sod it,  throw it on the list! 

Oi don’t you join in. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

Of course they will care if they care about Morgan Knowles - he will want to play a home World Cup not miss the first (huge) game of it.

In that case they're just stupid or, to cut them a huge amount of slack, perhaps making a cavalier assumption that the disciplinary won't penalise England for Saints' frivolous appeal (and I'm really not sure how it can be anything other than frivolous, though I may be missing something).

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I’d say this appeal has more to do with trying to get one match and be free for wc warm up rather than him playing on the GF which is a 0% chance of going down to zero matches on appeal.

If that is the case it feels like a risk.

He misses the final and the warm up now.  If he gets an extra game he misses Samoa at Newcastle. 

As an England fan, I would stick rather than twist on this one.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris